Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I was at the Montreal Apple store the other day. From the outside you can't figure they still sell computers. You see ipad/iphones on all the table but one at the far back. I used to go there and leave excited but it's not happening anymore.
I doubt they will release a mini.. they will probably do a iOS/OSX convergence and let the computers vanish.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I was at the Montreal Apple store the other day. From the outside you can't figure they still sell computers. You see ipad/iphones on all the table but one at the far back. I used to go there and leave excited but it's not happening anymore.
I doubt they will release a mini.. they will probably do a iOS/OSX convergence and let the computers vanish.

I suspected for a while that this was their grand plan. Indeed as soon as iOS was a thing I thought as much.
I figured iOS products would become their consumer line, and OS X computers would become more professional orientated. Which hasn't quite happened, so who knows what Apple are planning!? That said, Mr Cook & Co have stated that there will be a new Mini (And Mac Pro..)

Reactions: George Dawes

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
That said, Mr Cook & Co have stated that there will be a new Mini

Here's exactly what Tim Cook said in an e-mail to a customer last October. He didn't really "state that there will be a new Mini". ;) And the Mac Pro is another thing completely, Apple has officially announced it's working on that.

"I’m glad you love Mac mini. We love it too. Our customers have found so many creative and interesting uses for Mac mini. While it is not time to share any details, we do plan for Mac mini to be an important part of our product line going forward."

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I suspected for a while that this was their grand plan. Indeed as soon as iOS was a thing I thought as much.
I figured iOS products would become their consumer line, and OS X computers would become more professional orientated. Which hasn't quite happened, so who knows what Apple are planning!? That said, Mr Cook & Co have stated that there will be a new Mini (And Mac Pro..)

Well it could be a new mini but it doesn't mean it will look like the former mini. I would not be surprised to see a box like the ATV with their own processor. I think it will be a very compact and limited device.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I'm going to make the switch to Android phone/tablet and Windows/Linux Computers if no new Mini/Pro are released this year. Who's with me?!?!

cool !!... a protest :)

Sounds like a good idea..... but i just start ignoring whatever Apple says now, until i see it with my own two eyes in the store.

Just something i got used to. Plus, i'm sure Apple knows who I am already, but if i don't like the way they operate, i get round it.

I've been saying the same thing for years about products and Apple, and i'm still here 2018..

Guess that ship has sunk.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I just purchased my dream Mac Pro 2012 in my description in 2016 and I'm fully willing to work with a few versions out of date OS X. I was still using leopard in 2012 on my G5 and only went intel 5 years ago with a 17 inch iMac 06. Atm High Sierra is still running on my Mac with a lot of power backing it up. I won't buy a new desktop until at least 2022 unless my Mac Pro explodes. But I'd like to see the mini stick around to be my next Mac when the time comes.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
I moved over to Windows, not because of the mini, but because of lack of the 16GB RAM limit in the MBP. I wasn't planning on moving everything over, but my nMP was getting a bit long in the tooth as was my iPhone. I only made the switch because I had gotten to a point where I had to change more than one thing and if part of my setup had to move to Windows then I might as well move the whole lot. It's not something you should do on a whim though as going back would be expensive. Take a long, hard look at your workflow and applications before you decide to do anything.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm going to make the switch to Android phone/tablet and Windows/Linux Computers if no new Mini/Pro are released this year. Who's with me?!?!
Go for it, though I don't think you'll be "teaching" apple a lesson by buying an android phone/tablet. I think you ought to buy phones, tablets and computers based on whether they fit your needs. Buying a competitor just to teach apple a lesson doesn't really help you, especially if they don't fit your needs.

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Go for it, though I don't think you'll be "teaching" apple a lesson by buying an android phone/tablet. I think you ought to buy phones, tablets and computers based on whether they fit your needs. Buying a competitor just to teach apple a lesson doesn't really help you, especially if they don't fit your needs.

Apple doesn't fit my needs anymore. They have abandoned their desktops other than the iMac. I'm not interested in supporting them anymore with my money and will encourage others to do the same.

Reactions: Haswell

Haswell

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
USA
I gave up on Apple releasing a new Mac Mini. I built a hackintosh about six months using this case and I couldn't be happier.

f1cws-evo-000-025-s.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.