Apple Boycott if no new Mini this year

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by krause734, Jan 16, 2018.

1. krause734, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2018

krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

I'm going to make the switch to Android phone/tablet and Windows/Linux Computers if no new Mini/Pro are released this year. Who's with me?!?!

2. George Dawes macrumors 6502a

George Dawes

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'm not sure that I'd be willing to upend my entire technology experience based on the lack of updates to these products. I'm perfectly willing to 'boycott' them by not buying the current out-of-date versions that they're selling, though. And I'l continue to run my current 2012 minis and 2010 Mac Pro into the ground, using them until they die. I'm not sure how much going out and buying more tech will show Apple though.

4. jav6454, Jan 16, 2018

jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Please tell me this is a joke...

5. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

I'm in a similar position. I don't want to upend my entire platform: the times I use Windows 10 when needed are still more frustrating. I am starting to dislike Apple's increasingly form over function aesthetic. I seem to be the only who had problems with the aluminum Mac Minis - worked fine for a few years, and then started developing odd error messages on both a 2011 and 2012 model. Trying to do some basic upgrades is a bit of an exercise in frustration: look Apple, it's going to sit on my desk 100% of the time - it doesn't need to be the thinnest, smallest thing possible. In fact, I really miss a mini-tower form factor where I could easily add some additional drives or peripheral cards. Not a lot... just a couple.

6. SoCalReviews, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018

SoCalReviews macrumors 6502a

I used Windows computers for personal and business for decades before switching to Macs during the MS Windows 8 era fiasco. I've adjusted well to the Mac so really don't want to move to a dedicated Windows 10 machine. I'm using Parallels VMs right now to run Win but if Apple stops offering new quad core desktop options at a reasonable price like the Mac Mini I might be forced to make the switch back. I really need a quad core with maximum RAM to effectively run the VMs and the dual core just doesn't provide the computer performance I need. The iMac is not a good option for me since I run KVM switches with multiple desktop systems to one monitor.

I already purchased an HP Elitedesk Mini desktop running Windows 7 Pro (with a Win 10 license for the future if needed). That purchase would have been a new Mac Mini instead if Apple had been offering newer quad core Mini options this past year. I'll give them a few more years or until my 2012 Minis become obsolete before deciding whether or not to fully move back to dedicated Windows machines... ugh! :(

7. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

That fake tweet wasn't funny when you posted it to the other thread and it isn't any funnier here. Have fun pouting and boycotting when the Mini of your dreams isn't introduced. I started with an Apple ][ in 1978 and have no intention of leaving now.

8. opeter macrumors 68000

opeter

Oh, I don't have such problems, since I am using both commercial platforms equally (Mac since the beginning of the 90s). In the last time Windows even more than before.

If Apple would one day announce, that they wont make computers anymore, it wouldn't be the end of the world for me, since I can switch easily. And I wouldn't even shed a tear. OK, maybe because I invested some money in the Mac platform (applications), but it doesn't matter then.

9. macsforever macrumors regular

macsforever

Don’t drop it next time...

10. krause734 thread starter macrumors 6502a

krause734

Lighten up. Apple is becoming more of a joke every day they don't update their desktops. Blind brand loyalty is pretty pathetic.

11. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Fanboys will find a reason to defend it no what ever apple do...
    i'm not planning to buy anymore apple products, but I'm not sure that's a boycott...

Phone no longer has my interest, iPad is plagued by iOS and I'd rather use a laptop, laptops are working fine and is the only thing I could be tempted to buy.

12. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Rather than Macs, I'm wondering if this is the year they stop making separate keyboards and mice/trackpads.
    -Posted via my NetGear router.

13. DeepIn2U, Feb 17, 2018

DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Even if you purchased the Mac mini 2014 model brand new on day one ... you've had almost 4 full years to get another PC and run fully licensed Win10 or Linux with accessories to spare. What is taking you so long?

The fact our OP waited this long to post such a comedic pic or state the stance of boycotting?

Ok so I'll buy ANY one of your iPads listed below for $100CAN. You know ... the ones in your signature ;)

14. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Its fairly simple

Apple makes products
    Some people buy their products
    Some people don't

and some people complain Apple doesn't make products the way they feel they should

15. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Apple may tick me off royalty at times, I tried to walk away, but could not. I own a Window 10 laptop here and use it when I have to, but my iMac gets all the love daily. I will try to hold off updating for at least another 18-24 months though (for reasons beyond proving to me that they're serious about their software and hardware again.)

No boycotts here.

16. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

For the most part, the world has moved on to laptops. In the Windows world as well as the Apple world...

That said, I got tired of waiting for the new MacBook about a year ago and bought a MS Surface Pro 4 for about $300 less than the previous MacBook. I still have my MBA, but for traveling I prefer to use the Surface Pro 4.

17. krause734 thread starter macrumors 6502a

krause734

Apple had their hooks in deep with my precioussss iTunes. I got an Intel NUC and sold the Mini on eBay! Couldn't be happier. Linux Mint is great. Should've made the switch sooner. Will probably get rid of my iPhone this summer. I pity the fool that waits for a new Mac Mini because that was me a month ago.

18. DeepIn2U, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018

DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

lol ... great job. Personally I'm also hooked into iTunes: I like the organization and fluidity, plus on iPhone nothing on Android comes close to music playback and control remotely from the smartphone to headsets. Sure the Samsung IconX v2 comes close yet I've found that EVEN with Sony (previously SonyEricsson was king for pedestrians enjoying full music playback on their feature phones) failed to live up to what Apple had brought with the iPhone remote headset and everything else thereafter (aftermarket inclusive). This was one of the major factors that annoyed me.

Furthermore, Application purchases - I think I've spent in total over the years about $80CAN on apps ... and a LOT more on games (freemium jump the clock weapon/health upgrades/respawns respectively ... est $300 alone just on Eliminate Pro back in iOS 6). Been super disciplined over the last 6yrs JUST cause of the game addiction, very happy I'm far too busy now.

[​IMG]

I had thought Mint Linux was now defunct or no longer upgraded? Hmm I guess I'm wrong. I'll be returning to Fedora Core linux in a few short weeks (part time) as I haven't tried linux since FC3. I'll still be Mac/Windows full time though, unless a major shift changes. Until a great and trust competitor can unseat Apple in terms of music (Playback, portability, ease of exports, ability to change/combine audio to video taken on smartphones for desktop/mobile & share it anywhere and finally a great music composition programs and ecosystem for learning and composing music ... I'll stick with OSX).

I grew up with Cassettes, Records, CD's and MiniDisc ... predominantly with Sony and Maxell. While Sony continued to lock in proprietary DRM (which I'm SUPER pissed off with 15 MiniDiscs and unique recordings not found anywhere), Apple started off with DRM and then got a LOT more loose regarding this. Sony ... creators of full digital music/audio recording and distribution prior to MP3's and yet even thereafter I CANNOT digitally export from MiniDisc from my NetMD to PC/Mac ... thanks ATRAC ... I can only import to the disc. $^$#&'rs Music has come a wonderful long way.

Happy Linux/Android living and maybe we'll all see you around or consider returning (even in Hackintosh form).

Cheers.

PS: Loved the Mr T reference.

19. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

This does not sound like Foamy the squirrel.
    Otherwise, iTunes is pretty hard to beat, especially if you stick with v 10.4-10.7.

20. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

I'm in. I've boycotted the Mac Mini for the past 3+ years... will continue to do so until they release a new one.

21. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

LOL ... LOVE this cartoon ... still trying to find the original run that was shown on YTV late nights many years ago. and yea I guess reading over most of my posts I do (inadvertently) emulate Foamy.

22. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

In your opinion.

23. MiamiC70 macrumors 6502

I’ll second his opinion