Apple Brings Apple Developer App to Mac Ahead of WWDC

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's 2020 WWDC event will mark the first time that WWDC has been held in an all-digital format, with no physical conference or meetup. With everything taking place online, Apple today expanded its Apple Developer app to the Mac.

The Mac version of the Apple Developer app will mirror the iOS version, offering up a Discover section with new and relevant developer news, a videos section with sessions created by Apple engineers, and a WWDC section.

The WWDC section of the app will allow developers to access Apple's keynote event on Monday, June 22, as well as the Platforms State of the Union and more than 100 technical and design-focused engineering sessions.

Content from past WWDC events is also included in the app and neatly organized to make it easy for developers to find exactly what they're looking for.

Developers can download the new Apple Developer app for Mac from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Brings Apple Developer App to Mac Ahead of WWDC

Reactions: throAU and DeepIn2U

madmin

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Yah, this is the developer beta version, but don't worry the public beta version will be along shortly ;)

ncollingridge

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
The article should mention that this app is only available to those who have dared to make the leap to Catalina. That does not include me, and won't until I see a release of Catalina that addresses the issues that other shave experienced, and acknowledges that it has done so in the release notes. Apple needs to rebuild confidence that their OS is stable and that manifestly has not yet been achieved for Catalina.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
The article should mention that this app is only available to those who have dared to make the leap to Catalina. That does not include me, and won't until I see a release of Catalina that addresses the issues that other shave experienced, and acknowledges that it has done so in the release notes. Apple needs to rebuild confidence that their OS is stable and that manifestly has not yet been achieved for Catalina.
I know what you mean but it is almost 2021! Dive in or be left behind!

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Looks like there might be something odd going on with the language support as I've just installed it and although it shows correctly in the Applications folder in Finder, when I search for it (Cmd-Space) I get this...
Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 19.36.00.png

The language setup on my MacBook Pro is for English (United Kingdom)...

Reactions: martyjmclean

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It has the look and feel of a low-effort Catalyst app. At least there is now a way to view and save session videos without having to keep bookmarks and download each video manually. It is also very small (< 7 MB) and not a Electron app.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
It has the look and feel of a low-effort Catalyst app. At least there is now a way to view and save session videos without having to keep bookmarks and download each video manually. It is also very small (< 7 MB) and not a Electron app.
I wonder if it is written using SwiftUI?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I can't find the Developer app for MacOS High Sierra (the highest my older mac will do).

I have 2 macs - 1 for developing which is current, and 1 which is older that I surf on for documentation and watch videos. I wish I could use the older mac to watch the WWDC videos.

bollman

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
Well then, time to finally install that catalina virtual machine. The train wreck of an OS that is catalina has no place in any of my production machines...

tzm41

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2014
Boston
If you are the intended audience of this app aka an Apple platform developer then you likely already made the leap... You gotta be running Catalina to run Xcode 11.5.

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
I would've loved it if it was actually a Cocoa/AppKit app. I'm not ready to go full Catalina yet
The article should mention that this app is only available to those who have dared to make the leap to Catalina.
The "D" in WWDC is for "Developers". It's reasonable to expect your devs to stay abreast of your release cycle, and it's just bad messaging to tell your devs "we're going to pander to people who want to stay on an old version of the OS because we think we're bad at this, but you guys should really stay on the cutting edge".

TheDailyApple

macrumors member
May 30, 2019
The "D" in WWDC is for "Developers". It's reasonable to expect your devs to stay abreast of your release cycle, and it's just bad messaging to tell your devs "we're going to pander to people who want to stay on an old version of the OS because we think we're bad at this, but you guys should really stay on the cutting edge".
I was going to say the same thing. If you’re a developer, you probably have a Mac with Catalina already. If not, watch the keynote online and leave the rest of the conference for the devs it’s meant for.

casperes1996

macrumors 601
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Utilising features in the latest releases ≠ only supporting the latest release. Frankly, I don't think Apple would want 100% of macOS apps to suddenly stop supporting older releases of the OS. And in a lot of their talks they actually talk about "making it work well on our latest releases as well as earlier operating systems".
It's not that I don't have a Catalina install. I do. For testing software development funnily enough. But I also have a Mojave install and a Linux Mint, and Mojave is my primary OS.
It's also not that I don't understand their choice to make it a Catalyst app. And it's better than nothing, and that is probably what we would otherwise have had. They weren't going to spend the energy effort and cash on developing a dedicated Mac version, but Catalyst meant they could do it easily enough that it was worth it.

I didn't say I didn't understand them making it a Catalyst app, though I don't think your reasoning necessarily has so much to do with it, but I would still have loved a Cocoa version
- - Post merged: - -

If you are the intended audience of this app aka an Apple platform developer then you likely already made the leap... You gotta be running Catalina to run Xcode 11.5.
I was going to say the same thing. If you’re a developer, you probably have a Mac with Catalina already. If not, watch the keynote online and leave the rest of the conference for the devs it’s meant for.
See my last comment as well.

There are plenty of reasons as a developer to not switch your primary platform to Catalina. I have a Catalina install on an external drive that I use for testing, but the majority of my work, both personal and development, is still done on Mojave and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I'd bet you that there are also Apple engineers with Mojave installations, though perhaps a majority being the other way around from what I described, primarily using Catalina and testing computability with Mojave.

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Utilising features in the latest releases ≠ only supporting the latest release. Frankly, I don't think Apple would want 100% of macOS apps to suddenly stop supporting older releases of the OS. And in a lot of their talks they actually talk about "making it work well on our latest releases as well as earlier operating systems".
It's not that I don't have a Catalina install. I do. For testing software development funnily enough. But I also have a Mojave install and a Linux Mint, and Mojave is my primary OS.
It's also not that I don't understand their choice to make it a Catalyst app. And it's better than nothing, and that is probably what we would otherwise have had. They weren't going to spend the energy effort and cash on developing a dedicated Mac version, but Catalyst meant they could do it easily enough that it was worth it.

I didn't say I didn't understand them making it a Catalyst app, though I don't think your reasoning necessarily has so much to do with it, but I would still have loved a Cocoa version

See my last comment as well.

There are plenty of reasons as a developer to not switch your primary platform to Catalina. I have a Catalina install on an external drive that I use for testing, but the majority of my work, both personal and development, is still done on Mojave and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I'd bet you that there are also Apple engineers with Mojave installations, though perhaps a majority being the other way around from what I described, primarily using Catalina and testing computability with Mojave.
It sounds like you have a Catalina install, so I'm not sure what your original complaint was about.

I didn't say anything against developers supporting older versions, I simply said that Apple can expect their Devs to have Catalina and would encourage its adoption. It sounds like you do, so I think we're in agreement on that.

casperes1996

macrumors 601
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
It sounds like you have a Catalina install, so I'm not sure what your original complaint was about.

I didn't say anything against developers supporting older versions, I simply said that Apple can expect their Devs to have Catalina and would encourage its adoption. It sounds like you do, so I think we're in agreement on that.
I wouldn't call it a complaint. I said I wished it was available as a Cocoa app. - Perhaps I'm mincing words, but I see it as more of wish of what it could be, rather than a negative comment on what it is.

In any case, I am booted into macOS Mojave 90% of the time. I have a Catalina installation as well, but I do not actively use it other than for testing. On a day-by-day basis, Mojave works better for my needs. And a WWDC app is something I'd prefer having on a day-to-day basis, but I'll just use the web portal as usual, so it's not a biggie

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yah, this is the developer beta version, but don't worry the public beta version will be along shortly ;)
yeah unfortunately the app in Catalina still has no idea you've already downloaded and began running it. lol.

I don't know ... I feel the TVOS app and iOS app seems to be better thought out, slayed out.

Looks like there might be something odd going on with the language support as I've just installed it and although it shows correctly in the Applications folder in Finder, when I search for it (Cmd-Space) I get this... View attachment 924359
The language setup on my MacBook Pro is for English (United Kingdom)...
Seems like you have a regional setting within your App Store vs on your Mac that maybe the root cause? Just a guess. I've not had that issue at all. I'm in Canada.

Attachments

Last edited:

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
You can't even watch videos in fullscreen (without app borders) 🤦‍♂️
But at least you can watch them PiP.
This is going to be really convenient, as the app supports faster playback speed. I usually watch WWDC sessions at 1.5 or 2x on the iPad and this year I'll be able to use the Mac as well.
I'd say the UI isn't great, but better than not having the app at all.

Reactions: throAU

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Cool. Installed it on the Mac and it automatically installed on the iPad Pro as well.

Didn't actually realise there was a "Developer App" (I dabble), looks like a neat reference for current and previous developer video stuff :)

Reactions: wilhoitm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.