Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a series of three EFI firmware updates bringing Lion Internet Recovery to the company's Late 2010 MacBook Air, Mid-2010 iMac, and Early 2010 MacBook Pro. Available firmware updates include:

- MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 2.3 (2.98 MB):
This update enables Lion Recovery from an Internet connection on MacBook Air (Late 2010) models and addresses an issue where the system could restart if the power button is pressed immediately after waking from deep sleep.
- iMac EFI Update 1.8 (3.02 MB):
This update enables Lion Recovery from an Internet connection on iMac (Mid 2010) models.
- MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.6 (3.18 MB):
This update enables Lion Recovery from an Internet connection on MacBook Pro (Early 2010) models.
Apple introduced Lion Internet Recovery on new MacBook Air and Mac mini models introduced last July alongside OS X Lion itself. The feature adds a minimal bootable install onto a machine's firmware to allow it to connect the Internet and download the full Lion operating system for installation.

lion_internet_recovery.png

OS X Lion by default installs a recovery partition on the machine's hard drive for this purpose, but for users who are installing a blank hard drive or whose recovery partition becomes inaccessible, Internet Recovery provides yet another fallback option for Lion installation.

The company has extended the Lion Internet Recovery feature to a number of older Mac models over time, with the most recent addition coming two weeks ago and adding support for the Mid-2010 versions of the 13-inch MacBook Pro, white MacBook, and Mac mini. One notable exception is the Mac Pro, which has yet to see even the currently-shipping models support Lion Internet Recovery.

Article Link: Apple Brings Lion Internet Recovery to More 2010 Macs

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I recently reinstalled Lion from a fresh hard drive (MBP 2010) and I had to wait around 4 hours to download Lion before the installation process even began. That was before having issues with it recognizing my Apple ID and having the download freeze a couple of times.

Will this EFI update solve that problem or will I still have to download Lion from servers.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I'm running Snow Leopard, but I am curious for those running Lion if this brings back the Apple Hardware Test? I have heard some people lost the Apple Hardware Test after upgrading to Lion.

I installed Lion, then downgraded to Snow Leopard, and in doing so, I lost my Apple Hardware Test functionality and I can't reinstall it from the discs because my optical drive is broken, and I don't have the time to be without the Mac to send it to Apple to get fixed.

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Hey Apple, while your releasing EFI updates, could you release one for my 1,1 Mac Pro? You know, the one you told me was a 64 bit computer, and then admitted years later can't actually run a 64 bit OS? :(

Samskeyti

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
Because Apple truly does not care about Pro customers anymore. Not trolling... just speaking the truth.
I don't think you could back it up even if you tried. Final Cut X aside, because that's an anomaly (one of which Apple is improving).

You won't be able to, but try.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Because Apple truly does not care about Pro customers anymore. Not trolling... just speaking the truth.

Pro customers don't need Lion Recovery. They can fix their OS themselves. I'd actually not want Lion messing with my partitions.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008

The Dumbing down of Apple has been going on for a bit now. The day we had to buy minitors from DELL for the studio I gave up.

regardless you do not want this anyway - this is for someone who can wait to get a Station back up and running - not someone with deadlines ;)

kettikco

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
While this is nice, i'am still waiting for a firmware update to enable booting from USB drives on the mid-2011 Macbook Air.

I had a harrowing time yesterday when i corrupted my OS installation (by using Monolingual) and to my annoyance, the Macbook Air would not boot from the USB stick i had prepared for such an event. I was finally left with no choice but to download the OS from Apple. What should've been a 30 minute reinstallation job took over 12 hours for me to complete.

timothyjay2004

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I'm going to buck the trend and say this is super awesome. Have a mid-2009 macbook pro, lets hope I'm next!

:D

So do I. I've been watching them release more and more EFI updates for semi older macs... so, I really hope ours is next. Do I 100% need it ... no, but my luck would be the day that my mac hd dies and so does my external and then have nothing else to use to get back to Lion... Except for going back to Snow Leopard, then to Lion.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
While this is nice, i'am still waiting for a firmware update to enable booting from USB drives on the mid-2011 Macbook Air.

I had a harrowing time yesterday when i corrupted my OS installation (by using Monolingual) and to my annoyance, the Macbook Air would not boot from the USB stick i had prepared for such an event. I was finally left with no choice but to download the OS from Apple. What should've been a 30 minute reinstallation job took over 12 hours for me to complete.

I can boot with USB on my late 2010 MBA. It needs to be formatted properly. I used SuperDuper to create a bootable drive and can boot using USB.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I don't see what's such a big deal about Lion Internet Recovery being available to such-and-such machine.

This is the third tier solution.

When Lion came out, I created a Lion installation DVD following the simple instructions that came out on numerous web sites. I installed Lion on two machines with that disc.

Lacking a disc, the second method would be booting from a Lion recovery partition and reinstalling the operating system, with extra pieces being downloaded from the Internet.

Lion Internet Recovery would be for those who really have nothing.

Heck, I have two Macs running Lion and both systems are deliberately formatted so there is no recovery partition. If I need to reinstall Lion, I'll just toss my homemade Lion install DVD into a DVD player (I have a cheapo external USB one that will work on both Macs). The hell if I'm downloading the OS again over the Internet.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I don't think you could back it up even if you tried. Final Cut X aside, because that's an anomaly (one of which Apple is improving).

You won't be able to, but try.

Ok, from a thread I posted: :)

For those wondering why AAPL seems to be foregoing OS X as there is certainly more focus on the iOS/iDevice/Consumer market, I have to wonder:

Why does it have to be one or the other?

AAPL made a good deal of money when Jobs returned. NeXT/OS X, PowerMac's, an excellent CCFL LCD (more than one stripped down 27" LED LCD iMac panel?! NO WAY! /sarcasm) and catered a great deal to the professional market, creative or otherwise.

Then Jobs bought "Shake," discontinued it while announcing to a room of studio professionals that their opinion will no longer be warranted. The years went by w/ Jobs running AAPL, cutting out accessory products and focusing on desktops and the iPod. Profits built a strong cash reserve that fed R&D into projects such as the iPad (which came first around 2004 before the iPhone in 2007) and the iPhone in '07 exploded AAPL into a new market. New iPhone owners got a taste of AAPL and MacBook's took off (mostly for students) and iMac's. Soon OS X began taking a backseat to iOS, power systems such as the PowerMac G5 was replaced with the Intel switch in 2006, tacking on almost $1k in Xeon based work stations resulting in businesses holding off on hardware upgrades due to cost. The 3 CCFL LCD's were cut, and for years weren't updated until a stripped down 24" iMac LED LCD panel and now 27" iMac panel (most likely for cost effectiveness). XServe dropped, Lion begins the bridge of iOS/OS X GUI and OpenGL support is still lagging - I could go on. This all points to AAPL ditching professional grade systems to cater to the consumer (mobile) market (Apple Computers switched to Apple Electronics, Inc.).

With $80+ Billion in cash, why does it have to be the consumer market or the professional "power" market? Why can't AAPL revamp the professional market as it did with the consumer market? Working in communications, the quantity of businesses may not compare to the quantity of consumers, but when ONE business (studio houses, photographers who primarily used AAPL displays with PowerMac's as they required little/no configuring with Spyder's, etc) has $50k, $100k or even more on updates for software licenses and hardware, that adds up to quite a bit.

I have used Mac's since 2002, almost a decade this Fall, and I still use Windows as it truly isn't a bad OS (MS just needs to code a system for a myriad of hardware combinations and third party drivers which would be a nightmare, I'm surprised it works as well as it does). I'm on my fifth Mac (2010 Mac Pro), with 2x 24" LED LCD's. I could not get my work done on another system, esp given the training it would require. If AAPL continues in this direction, my work and life will be further impacted in an already struggling economy. This frightens those of us who depend on OS X for our livelihood.

Yes, Apple has been slowly neglecting the professional market, not because they have to but because they chose to do so. Ten years ago AAPL was pretty much a standard with the creative industry, PowerMac's combined with their tuned 20/23/30" CCFL LCD's, Final Cut Pro was (and discounting X, 7 still is) a top notch professional film editing suite. Having been an ADC member since 10.3, Lion is the first time AAPL lowered membership from hundred's of dollars to just $99 in order to entice consumer feedback just as in the iOS ADC. Additionally, OS X beta's came almost bi-weekly, required complete reinstalls from a burned image, and until Lion AAPL had desktop features such as ZFS support in one of their Snow Leopard beta's and didn't drop needed API's and soon sandboxing. It's been discussed at length, but AAPL is pushing iOS and iDevices. Period. If they wanted to create a prosumer market as some have claimed then Final Cut Pro X should have been made for that market and FCP7 should have been revamped as a robust 64-bit professional product. There is no way I can do my work on a top of the line iMac, heck somedays having 2 displays isn't enough. The need isn't gone, it's there, believe me, however those of us who make our living with desktop power stations are slowly being forced into other platforms, applications and thus spending more money and time in training. Businesses don't feel comfortable investing in AAPL any longer as such long term investments aren't practical given AAPL's track record. I don't like it, but it seems to be the reality.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
What if I don't want Lion?
What if My internet connection is slow or Capped?
The day I get My new MacbookPro in a few months I instantly get Snow Leopard on it.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I can boot with USB on my late 2010 MBA. It needs to be formatted properly. I used SuperDuper to create a bootable drive and can boot using USB.

On the 2010 models you can but the mid 2011 MBA's are running a different version of lion 11A2063 instead of 11A511. You can only get the 11A2063 version from the recovery partition.

MacAddict2000

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
This update enables Lion Recovery from an Internet connection on MacBook Pro (Early 2010) models.

As I recall (and Mactracker confirms), there is no "Early 2010" MacBook Pro. It went from "Mid 2009" to "Mid 2010", so exactly what Macs are they talking about here?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
As I recall (and Mactracker confirms), there is no "Early 2010" MacBook Pro. It went from "Mid 2009" to "Mid 2010", so exactly what Macs are they talking about here?

Indeed, they must be calling April releases "Early 2010".

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
gotta love apple 2012....you too can wait 4-5 hours to reinstall your osx lion...

2010 apple...your stuck with a usb stick that installs osx snow leopard in about 20 min...

wait em i missing something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.