Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

140418-cdma_iphone_4.jpg

Reuters revives rumors that Apple is building a lower priced 8GB version of the iPhone 4 to launch this fall. Reuters cites "two people with knowledge of the matter".
The flash drive for the 8GB iPhone 4 is being manufactured by a Korean company, one of the people said on Tuesday, declining to name the company. Apple currently sources its flash drives from Japan's Toshiba and South Korea's Samsung Electronics.
In addition to this low cost iPhone 4, Apple is also said to be targeting "an end of September" launch for the iPhone 5. This new iPhone 5 will reportedly look "largely identical" to the iPhone 4, but have a bigger touch screen, better antenna and an 8-megapixel camera. This contradicts many of the early case designs that have shown a dramatically different form factor.

This news comes at an interesting time, as we've been hearing more from suppliers and seeing leaked parts appear on the web. In addition to the battery prototype photo, UK repair shop iPatchiPods had also told us that their suppliers had also relayed that there would be two such models: a less expensive iPhone 4, as well as the expected iPhone 5. Due to the simultaneous development, there could be some confusion with regard to parts appearing on the net. While many are claimed to be for the iPhone 5, there may be some that are intended for this low-cost iPhone 4. In one example, the back camera part that leaked yesterday was found to be a 5 megapixel part, not an 8 megapixel part as rumored. It's possible the part could be intended for this cheaper iPhone 4.

In fact, the low-cost iPhone 4 screen is already circulating in the hands of suppliers, and we are trying to get more information on it and other potential iPhone 5 parts.

Article Link: Apple Building Cheaper 8GB iPhone 4, End of September Launch alongside iPhone 5

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Does this mean no 64Gb iPhone 5 I wonder?
I don't think we can rule out 64GB yet just from knowing that the low-end model is 8GB. The current low-end iPod Touch model is 8GB and the next step up is 32GB. It was the same way for the iPod Touch refresh before the current one as well I believe.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Somehow, I'd doubt we'd go 2 years without a storage bump. This goes along the line of the last 2 refreshes. 8 GB previous model, 16/32 GB new model. Though I'd think this year will be 16 GB previous mode, 32/64 GB new model.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
In addition to this low cost iPhone 4, Apple is also said to be targeting "an end of September" launch for the iPhone 5. This new iPhone 5 will reportedly look "largely identical" to the iPhone 4, but have a bigger touch screen, better antenna and an 8-megapixel camera.

Apple will never change the screen size. Increasing screen size reduces the pixel density which reduces the image quality. Though not noticeable, it makes no sense to downgrade the screen. If Apple really wanted to increase screen size, they would've done it in the iPhone 4 along with the bump in screen resolution which makes more sense.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
There are many people that really only need an 8GB iPhone.

What's more important is getting the price of the phone down to $99 for an iPhone 4 and hopefully we'll see shared data plans begin to be rolled out.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
I don't think we can rule out 64GB yet just from knowing that the low-end model is 8GB. The current low-end iPod Touch model is 8GB and the next step up is 32GB. It was the same way for the iPod Touch refresh before the current one as well I believe.

It's what they did with the 3GS, dropped the 16/32gb models, introduced the budget 8gb alongside a 16/32gb iPhone 4.
They don't want a 16gb iphone 4 competing with a 16gb iphone 5. If the iphone 5 was to be 32/64gb they'd keep a 16gb iphone 4.
unless the margins are really that tight on the iphone 4 and the only way they can reduce the price was to drop the storage, but if that was the case, what room do they have for improvement in iPhone 5??

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Apple will never change the screen size. Increasing screen size reduces the pixel density which reduces the image quality. Though not noticeable, it makes no sense to downgrade the screen. If Apple really wanted to increase screen size, they would've done it in the iPhone 4 along with the bump in screen resolution which makes more sense.

By making it bigger to 3.7 inch they would still be over 300 dpi thus maintaining "retina" terminology.

And realistically 960 x 640 for a 3.7 display is still great and i doubt someone would go "oh the display sucks now".

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I think the 8 gb storage costs 1/4 of what 16gb cost or even lower. I do believe, Apple will bump the iphone 5 storage to 32,64 gb.

CA, USA

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
but..

Actually.. i don't like samsung.. what a stupid company. they are copying iPhone to make their own galaxy S.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Apple will never change the screen size. Increasing screen size reduces the pixel density which reduces the image quality. Though not noticeable, it makes no sense to downgrade the screen.

Yes it does make sense. At 4", with its current resolution, the screen would still be over the retina threshold. This there is good reason to upgrade the screen to 4" instead of 3.5". The screen is cramped on the iPhone.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
8GB? The cost of the memory can't really be that much for apple when making it by the million units.

Who really wants a cut price iPhone anyway. It just cheapens the brand.m Apple's becoming the McDonnalds of the decade.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Who really wants a cut price iPhone anyway. It just cheapens the brand.m Apple's becoming the McDonnalds of the decade.

Uh ? They have been doing this every time since the 3GS. Cut the price on the older model and cut its storage down to 8GB. This isn't something new you know and how does selling a 99$ iPhone on contract equate to McDonald's ?

Some people are just too elitist for their own good. :rolleyes:

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Oh I hate this dumbing down and cheapening of the iphone!...what next the $25 iphone for poor people in Africa to find out where the next grain drop will be or where's best to hide from murderous Hutu rebels?

I want exclusivity and the "wow I'm jealous factor".....not a "oh everyone has an iphone" thing.

~sigh, searches for Grain App~

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
apple already does 8/32/64 on their ipod touch, so a 64gigs iphone is possible.
i hope cheaper doesn't mean 539€ like the actual 3gs 8gb they sold here (in italy, don't know elsewhere).

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
Oh I hate this dumbing down and cheapening of the iphone!...what next the $25 iphone for poor people in Africa to find out where the next grain drop will be or where's best to hide from murderous Hutu rebels?

I want exclusivity and the "wow I'm jealous factor".....not a "oh everyone has an iphone" thing.

Are you joking or just that shallow?

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
It's what they did with the 3GS, dropped the 16/32gb models, introduced the budget 8gb alongside a 16/32gb iPhone 4.
They don't want a 16gb iphone 4 competing with a 16gb iphone 5. If the iphone 5 was to be 32/64gb they'd keep a 16gb iphone 4.
unless the margins are really that tight on the iphone 4 and the only way they can reduce the price was to drop the storage, but if that was the case, what room do they have for improvement in iPhone 5??

It's simple, really. They make the low-end model 8GB then make the next model up even larger than usual so that the user on the fence gravitates towards the model that costs more. If they made the low-end model 16GB then less people would feel inclined to go for the higher end 32GB model.

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011

Yikes! A truly revolting sentiment there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.