Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
SAN FRANCISCO, April 19 (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. is planning to build a new, 50-acre campus near its present headquarters in Cupertino, California, company Chief Executive Steve Jobs said.

"What's happened at Apple is that our business has basically tripled in the last five or six years," Jobs said on Tuesday evening at a Cupertino city council meeting, which was recorded and viewable as an archived Webcast.

He said the company "has gone from $6 billion in sales to $20 billion in sales, basically." Analysts expect Apple to post $20.3 billion in revenue for its fiscal 2006 ending in September, according to Reuters Estimates.

Jobs said it would likely take three to four years to design and build the campus that could accommodate 3,000 to 3,500 employees.

An Apple spokesman, who was present at the meeting, confirmed the company's plans to build the second campus.

"We're pretty thrilled," Jobs told the city council members. "Since we're your largest taxpayer, I thought you might be happy for us."

Apple has been rejuvenated since it introduced its market-leading iPod digital music player in 2001 and is in the process of moving its entire Macintosh computer line to Intel Corp. chips from those made by International Business Machines Corp.

Jobs said that, in addition to its current Cupertino headquarters, Apple employees are spread among 30 other buildings.

"We've rented every scrap of building we could find in Cupertino," Jobs said, who noted that Apple had recently purchased the nine separate, contiguous parcels.

Apple plans to raze the buildings now on the property and design and build new ones, Jobs said. The new campus will be about a mile away from its current headquarters.

Apple was famously started in Jobs' parents' garage in Silicon Valley by Jobs and co-founder Steve Wozniak 30 years ago this month.

Jobs said that about a year later, Apple relocated to Cupertino, where it has had its headquarters ever since.

"We'll probably get larger still," Jobs said referring to the company's overall business and work force.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Whoa, that's interesting! I wonder what it'll look like, and what the new address will be o_O

This means no more "1 infinite loop" on their mailing address huh :\ I'm gonna miss that.

But hey, growth is awesome! When was the last time you heard about a company in the US expanding and hiring new employees instead of shutting down offices and laying off employees?

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
"We've rented every scrap of building we could find in Cupertino," Jobs said, who noted that Apple had recently purchased the nine separate, contiguous parcels.

Wow thats crazy!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Looks like I have time to finish school and improve my résumé if I want t work for Apple.

9 parcels. Perhaps Jobs is still listening to the Beatles.

Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9

I hope this works for Apple and Cupertino.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The most poorly attended Stevenote™ ever... :D

You can see the Webcast here...Steve's presentation is about eight and a half minutes into the webcast.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
I agree that this sounds like good news--but for whom exactly? Just shareholders or Apple consumers as well? This amount of growth implies that Apple has big plans for the future; plans that extend beyond "selling more iPods and MacBook Pros." Part of me hopes that Apple doesn't get too big, though, so the forest can still be seen through the trees.

This makes me wonder what Apple has in store for the near future!

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Nice :). Can't wait to see the building's design.

Not so happy about tech support from india.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It looks like the property is located here.

He mentions the vicinity of 280, Pruneridge and Tantau across from the HP research park. I believe that HP is bounded by Homestead, Tantau, Pruneridge, and Wolfe. Apple may be the property directly south of that, across Pruneridge.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
JoeG4 said:
When was the last time you heard about a company in the US expanding and hiring new employees instead of shutting down offices and laying off employees?

Many companies are hiring. Some are despert for emplyees. My company offers a $2,500 refferal fee. If I find someone to work here I get $2,500 the week after he reports to work. Almost every place I go I see "help wanted" signs but most are worded more like ads "X is a great place to work with photos a happy emplyees in the background." I see this at Raytheon and at McDondalds ant all ends of the economy.

Everyplace except manufacturing and airlines

Got 10+ years experiance in enginerring, US citizenship and want to work in So Cal. Send me a PM.

mackeeper

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
WildCowboy said:
It looks like the property is located here.

He mentions the vicinity of 280, Pruneridge and Tantau across from the HP research park. I believe that HP is bounded by Homestead, Tantau, Pruneridge, and Wolfe. Apple may be the property directly south of that, across Pruneridge.

Can you see my house?

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Eniregnat said:
Looks like I have time to finish school and improve my résumé if I want t work for Apple.

9 parcels. Perhaps Jobs is still listening to the Beatles.

Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9

I hope this works for Apple and Cupertino.
Better get my résumé looking spiffy and my portfolio dialed in/up/out/whatever :D Of course here's wishful thinking that Apple will be hiring for design jobs by then.

I could easily design for Apple, but not hair care products and such.

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
JoeG4 said:
Whoa, that's interesting! I wonder what it'll look like, and what the new address will be o_O

This means no more "1 infinite loop" on their mailing address huh :\ I'm gonna miss that.
Steve mentioned that they will be using both campuses, so 1 Infinite Loop will stay. I don't think there was any implication that they would be moving their official headquarters to the new campus. Rather, they are trying to consolidate the offices outside of the headquarters.

WildCowboy said:
The most poorly attended Stevenote™ ever... :D

You can see the Webcast here...Steve's presentation is about eight and a half minutes into the webcast.
Also the shortest Stevenote ever, about 6 minutes!

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I like how they kept calling him Mr. Job.

And, what was that one woman talking about comparing it (the building of the campus) to raising a child. WTF?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
mac-er said:
And, what was that one woman talking about comparing it (the building of the campus) to raising a child. WTF?

Makes sense to me...Cupertino has watched Apple grow and lead the personal computer revolution, suffer through dark times, and now rise to prominence once again, all while providing it with a home. It appears that Apple and Cupertino are both thankful for the apparently good relationship they've had over the years...sounds an awful lot like a parent-child relationship to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.