Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
WildCowboy said:
The most poorly attended Stevenote™ ever... :D

You can see the Webcast here...Steve's presentation is about eight and a half minutes into the webcast.

What happened to the QT Stream?! Surely as the major taxpayer in the area, the council could at least support Apple, Steve must have been peeved if he had to see it again on Realplayer or WindowsMedia!

Otherwise great news, especially dropping in the line to do with "It's costing us a lot more but..." obviously he's looking for cash to subsidise it, after all what's the $4bn in Apple's wallet going to get used for?!

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
WildCowboy said:
Makes sense to me...Cupertino has watched Apple grow and lead the personal computer revolution, suffer through dark times, and now rise to prominence once again, all while providing it with a home. It appears that Apple and Cupertino are both thankful for the apparently good relationship they've had over the years...sounds an awful lot like a parent-child relationship to me.

I didn't take what that what was her metaphor was about...I thought she was comparing the building of the campus to raising a child because she said it right after Steve talked about designing the campus and getting approvals.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
Apple's building a 50-acre thing... we're all gonna die! wait, just kiding. (how big is the 1 Infinite Loop campus they have now?)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
sam10685 said:
how big is the 1 Infinite Loop campus they have now?

Looks to be about 35 acres, including the parking lots around the outside of Infinite Loop...the interior cluster of buildings is about 13-14 acres.

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
So why Cupertino. Jobs only says they like it there, but that's not how you decide on such huge investments. It obviously costs a lot, he mentioned that several times.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
cc bcc said:
So why Cupertino. Jobs only says they like it there, but that's not how you decide on such huge investments. It obviously costs a lot, he mentioned that several times.

Well, there are certainly efficiencies associated with being close to company headquarters...reduced travel time for meetings, deliveries, etc. There are also efficiencies from limiting the number of municipal entities they have to deal with in terms of taxes, zoning, etc.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Maybe they'll even wire the new campus for Internet access. :)

Seriously, I wonder if the brand new buildings, built for the way Apple works today, will have any advantages over the current campus.

Do non-executive Apple employees work in cubicles?

daysleeper

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2006
New York, NY
I found an artist's rendering of steve opening the new campus:
2004-12-20-charlie10.jpg

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
I guess that explains why they have been saving up so much money these past few years. They better not tear down the old place though.

mikea

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
Waiting for macbook land
lets us hope

Hey,
Maybe the new "MacBbok" will be ready in time for the opening of this new facility. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
50 Acres for a campus wheeewww! GO apple GO!

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Why Steve...

Unusual that the CEO would do the City Council presentation. I think Steve Jobs was just buttering up the City Council for when he proposes drilling the tube between the two campuses. Supposedly a three-minute ride leaving each side every 5 minutes, or 10 minutes max between the campuses. So it doesn't really matter which campus you're on and the road doesn't need to be full of stinky ugly Apple buses.

I'm not sure it's such a great idea in an active seismic zone, but if Apple does anything, it builds highly-efficient best-of-breen iconic solutions.

And Microsoft doesn't have one. :cool:

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I never... ever... EVER thought in ALL my days that I would be forced to watch Steve Jobs on a Windows Media Stream...!!! :p

worked pretty seamlessly though...

I would hope they'd address the new campus as 0 Infinite Loop (as opposed to 2!)... Keepin' it binary!!

ClimbingTheLog said:
Unusual that the CEO would do the City Council presentation. I think Steve Jobs was just buttering up the City Council for when he proposes drilling the tube between the two campuses.
Unusual yes... but a subway? Do you know something we don't?!

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
cool, its nice to know that apple is still expanding :).... It will be weird that apple will have to change its address..... That good that apple is doing so well, I hope that within the next few years, ipods dont go out of style

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
ChrisA said:
Got 10+ years experiance in enginerring, US citizenship and want to work in So Cal. Send me a PM.

"enginerring" - is that the specialty of designing in obsolescence? :p

cc bcc said:

Moving a headquarters like this would be very difficult. The Peninsula is a very desirable place to live. If they decided to move Apple out of state to someplace cheaper it could be catastrophic. With a company like Apple most of the value is in the people. If a large fraction of them quit you lose a vast amount of knowledge.

I lived through this. My company was bought by a British firm who moved it to the desert outside of LA. Six people out of 157 agreed to move. Before the move we had about a 40% market share. After about six years the company disappeared entirely.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
reyesmac said:
I guess that explains why they have been saving up so much money these past few years. They better not tear down the old place though.

they wont. they're building this for more space... not "new" space.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
Mac Fly (film) said:
Even though they're NOT side by side. I would say they will give the second campus the address: 2 infinite loop!!:D

There already is 2 Infinite Loop, it goes up to 6 Infinite Loop around the building, 6 being the loading dock. ;)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Mammoth said:
There already is 2 Infinite Loop, it goes up to 6 Infinite Loop around the building, 6 being the loading dock. ;)

And the new property isn't on Infinite Loop, so there's no chance of it being called "X" Infinite Loop.

Rocket Rion

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Austin
It's awesome that Apple is spending so much on Cupertino, meanwhile spending so little on the AppleCare campus in Austin. Tiny raises, revoked profit sharing, short staffing, etc. We're like the bastard child.

No, I'm not bitter.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
yay!

I honest to god got a little weepy when I read this. Great to see Apple growing again. I remember the days when the campus represented the glory days long since gone of Apple. Now Apple is expanding once again, horray!

I just hope they keep the same airy, yet functional look to the new campus. Make us proud Steve, make Apple2 Insanly Great.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Mac Fly (film) said:
Even though they're NOT side by side. I would say they will give the second campus the address: 2 infinite loop!!:D

The new campus could be located on:

Endless Loop (similar, but different)
Mobius Strip

:D

As someone who is interested in architecture, I can't wait to see what they come up with for the design. The current campus has some really nice design elements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.