Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

113605-ibooks_single.jpg

Forbes reports on information obtained by App Store research firm Busted Loop as part of its AppSlice project, revealing Apple's plans for eBook categories to be rolled out for its iBookstore.
AppSlice's findings point to a highly organized approach to bookselling. Apple has designated about 20 "top-level" categories for books, including "Fiction & Literature", "Reference," "Romance," "Cookbooks" and "Comics & Graphic Novels." Below those categories lie more than 150 sub-categories, including some very specific genres, such as "Manga" under "Comics & Graphic Novels," "Special Ingredients" under "Cookbooks," and "Etiquette" under "Reference." Some sub-categories, such as "Fantasy" and "Science Fiction & Literature," even have sub-sub-categories ("Historical" and "Paranormal," for example.) There are also two sections for "Erotica" books; one under "Fiction & Literature" and one under "Romance."
The report notes that the apparent categorization system for eBooks, which has reportedly changed several times since the iPad and iBookstore were announced January, appears to offer a great deal more specificity than Apple's App Store, which currently offers 20 different top-level categories with only its "Games" category offering sub-categories for further sorting.

Busted Loop's data also reveals that a little over 10% of the App Store's current applications have already been certified as being iPad-compatible. As with the existing App Store system, the "iPad Wi-Fi" and "iPad 3G" appear as separate entries for developers to list compatibility, as some applications such as those requiring GPS functionality will only be compatible with the 3G models. Likewise, some existing App Store applications such as those utilizing the iPhone's camera will not be compatible with the iPad at all.

Article Link: Apple Building Out eBook Categories Ahead of iPad Launch as Developers Update Apps

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Busted Loop's data also reveals that a little over 10% of the App Store's current applications have already been certified as being iPad-compatible [...] some existing App Store applications such as those utilizing the iPhone's camera will not be compatible with the iPad at all.

See, another good argument for having a camera in the iPad: a higher percentage of compatibility between iPhone and iPad apps! :D

roland.g

macrumors demi-god
Apr 11, 2005
I assume we are also going to see an iTunes 9.x.x update to handle syncing iBooks back into iTunes as well as all the other under the hood refinements required to make the iPad cooperate with iTunes. Question remains will they be playable in iTunes or just part of the iPad backup file?

roland.g

macrumors demi-god
Apr 11, 2005
See, another good argument for having a camera in the iPad: a higher percentage of compatibility between iPhone and iPad apps! :D

I'd be fine with all Apps having to be re-written for the iPad, that way at least there wouldn't be over 100k Apps immediately available. Some of the Apps are a bit much.

Apple really needs to solve the area of multiple Apps for essentially the same thing. The are companies that put out dozens upon dozens of Apps like travel guides or books where one App with added data would suffice instead of one App per data set. But currently there is no way to buy an App and then buy additional content for the App.

roland.g

macrumors demi-god
Apr 11, 2005
There might be. But I know one reason there are over 100k in Apps is because each book/travel guide/learn a language App, stuff like that is a separate App. And it is ridiculous that it isn't a single App with a library to choose from.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
The comic books/graphic novels catagory has to be the most interesting part of this story. This is the first I've heard of comic books being supported in the ibooks app, as opposed to using a seperate app for them. I think buying comic books directly from the ibooks app is a great idea, and hope they look great on it, although I'm unsure if the epub format can display high resolution, full color images.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
There might be.
There is.

But I know one reason there are over 100k in Apps is because each book/travel guide/learn a language App, stuff like that is a separate App. And it is ridiculous that it isn't a single App with a library to choose from.
This is a problem with the developer(s) taking the cookie-cutter approach to app development as well as a problem with Apple approving all those kinds of apps rather than pushing back to the developers and telling them "you need to consolidate". Brighthouse Labs has a slew of Find Used apps that target specific cities. This could easily be achieved with a single app that allows city selection.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
This is exciting to see it all happen over the next few weeks. I suspect lots of little bits of information will pop up.

Tomorrow I'm hoping more will appear as the Apple Store is updated.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
The Apple eBook interface resembles the Issuu bookshelf display. Issue is an online service for PDF sharing.

Attachments

• issuu.png
    issuu.png
    444.3 KB · Views: 166

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I thought there was in-app purchasing now?

There is. As an option. Folks aren't actually being made to use it. Seems like all this 'dumping cookie cutter apps' is moving in the direction of a force use. For those language/travel things, for even perhaps free to paid upgrades etc.

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
There is.

This is a problem with the developer(s) taking the cookie-cutter approach to app development as well as a problem with Apple approving all those kinds of apps rather than pushing back to the developers and telling them "you need to consolidate". Brighthouse Labs has a slew of Find Used apps that target specific cities. This could easily be achieved with a single app that allows city selection.

These developers are both lazy and stupid. If I really like them and their guides, for example, I'm much more likely to purchase an additional guide from them within my already-installed app. If they send me to the app store to find new content, I might just find their competitors content instead.

Apple really should crack down on these intensely. People will cry censorship, etc, but developers and users will be much happier.

AgingGeek

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
He he. he he. He said "Graphic Novels". He he.

NOw, if only they would sub-categorize Jazz the same way?

eseminario

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
iBooks? what about book's languages?

I just want to know if the books available in the ibook store will be only english or also in spanish or other languages?

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
Yeah, and after banning bikini apps from the iPhone. So erotic text is okay, but not pictures? What message is Apple trying to send?

they didn't ban them. they removed them and now will have an appropriate section in which they can be found. same will be for the erotic books.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.