Apple Bumper vs Incase Snap case smoke ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by richxps, Oct 5, 2010.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Does anyone have any opinions on either of these cases ? Please share your experience, im trying to deceide if i should get the snap, im getting tired of the bumper pulling off a little when i take it out of my pocket.

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

get the the $7 holster that was posted here

3. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

That deal expired. The snap is much better than the bumper IMO. Its the one I'm using now. However, now that the case program is over, I can't recommend the Snap now since its Priced at $35. I say go get the Incipio Feather. Same style of case, and it comes with 2 screen protectors. Plus it costs $25

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I have the bumper, griffin reveal etch, and incase snap case. I was never a fan of cases - always used an invisible shield, but I was luke warm about the bumper, indifferent about the etch, but I absolutely love the snap case. Leaves all my ports open, it's rigid, adds grip so it doesn't slide as much and it's slim. My only complaint is that because the top and bottom are exposed, the antennas are a little scratched up, but I've also gotten over keeping my phone in perfect condition - kind of takes the fun out of using it if I spend time worrying about damaging it.

edit: The stand is also a nice add on, I use it when on facetime so I can keep my hands free to work on my computer while video chatting with my girlfriend. I wouldn't pay more than $15 for it, but I also think anything more than $10 is outrageous for any kind of case, so if you think the bumper is worth $30 then the snap case is what I think you should go with.

5. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Both are two totally different breeds. The bumper is a bumper, only goes around the edges of the device. The snap, is an actual snap on case which provides protection to the back. I have both, I never use the bumper anymore. The incase snap has totally replaced it. Feels great with the matte like finish. Slides in & out of pockets easily and is think to keep the shape of the phone.

6. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

Ditto, I had the bumper, but then I got the Snap Smoke. I've been cycling between that and my Slider for a few weeks now. Although I have an Agent 18 EcoShield+ coming in today, and that might replace both

7. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I have always been a fan of the agent 18 ecoshield. I had that on the 3GS, don't know about the plus though isn't that a little bulkier?

8. Hold macrumors regular

anyone have any photos of the incase on the iphone 4?

9. TylerDurden33 macrumors member

I like the bumpers just because they really hold the phone off the surface when you lay them down. And because it doesn't hold any dust or anything against the glass to scratch it.

Though I know a lot of people happy with the incase snap

10. tygrubb macrumors regular

I used to use the Apple Bumper. Didn't think I would like it at first, but put it on the phone and fell in love with how it felt. Made the phone feel less delicate, made me less shy to lie down on tables and countertops. I boiled the bumper (google it) to make it fit like a glove and stay tight. I took it off regularly to clean.....and one day discovered all the burnish marks it made all the steel band. Not scratches, but places where it smoothed down the matte finish to make it shiny. Following suggestions here on the forum, I used Scratch-X to polish the band....got rid of burnish marks and in the process made the whole band shiny and mirror-like.

After that incident, I never put the bumper back on. I always wanted the phone naked, but felt that it needed some protection. Ended up having to exchange the phone for a a faulty home button, and when I got my new one my appreciation of the naked iPhone 4 with the matte steel band, plus my fear of the bumper leaving marks, made me decide to leave it naked. I now use it with the WaterField Designs Smart Case that was originally bought for my 3G.

I'm considering getting the Snap Smoke; two of my friends use it and it looks slick, keeping the professional look of the device intact (the bumper made it looks too toy-ish for my tastes). Just ordered some headphone jack and dock port covers, so first I'm going to go naked with the holes covered and see how that works out.

11. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

When I get home, I'll do a first look video on my youtube channel. I kinda have to anyways since A18 sent it to me for review :p

12. jasonh4451 macrumors newbie

I had been using the bumper since launch day and switched to the smoke snap last week. Short answer is I love the snap and won't go back to the bumper. I think it provideds alittle less protection than the bumper but after owning the phone for a couple of months now I'm over the desire to keep it spotless. Also, that little bit of bumper wiggle drove me crazy. The snap is about as close to naked as you can get.

I have a powesupport crystal screen on the front and its a great combo with the snap.

I actually still miss the feel of my iphone 3GS. The 4 is a better device in every way but there was something about the feel of the 3G in my pocket and hand that felt more natural, more organic.

13. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

The snap smoke is the nicest case i have ever owned for an iPhone. Not only does it look great but it feels so nice too.

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Couldn't agree with you more. I loved the feel of the 3GS and no case has made the iPhone 4 feel anywhere near as comfortable in my hand.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I have a smoke snap case. It does the job fine.

16. arcturuz macrumors member

had the bumper but sold it off within 3 days.
    it just feels weird and makes the phone significantly wider.

got the incase snap smoke and it is amazing. probably the best minimalist case for the ip4 now, with the pixelskin HD a close 2nd behind.

17. plusonechoi macrumors member

Like many others have mentioned, I hate cases and never liked they always made the phone feel so bulky. The bumper provided some good grip, small protection, and didnt make the phone feel bulky. Had the bumper comboed with phantom skinz matte back and clear front, loved it! Downside for me was that not all 3rd party plugs fit while using the bumper.

After using the bumper for the first 2-3 months, decided to try to smoke snap in and absolutely love it as well! Although top and bottom are now open, I can fit ANY plug/port/dock/headphone/etc.. All the while the phone stays thin, not bulky and covers the back and sides. I also replaced the phantom skinz front with a powersupport HD anti glare. This is now my favorite combo!

18. tjhilder macrumors regular

tjhilder

agreed, easy to put on, looks nice, feels nice, my only problem is a little harder to access the volume buttons and mute switch (although I imagine most cases would likely have this problem so it's not something that would have stopped me buying it.)

even though I've dropped my iPhone 4 a few times (around the house, I'm more careful outdoors ;) ) and there's no wear on the case and the iPhone isn't harmed at all.

this is by far the best case I have ever had, overall I would say the case gives it about 2-3m extra volume to the iPhone so it doesn't feel bulky either.