Apple Bumper WARNING (This thing is terrible!)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dmb420, Jun 24, 2010.

1. dmb420 macrumors member

I wanted to warn everyone out there that the iPhone 4 Bumper from apple is terrible!

Do you guys remember with the original iPhone how you couldn't use aftermarket headphones because the headphone hole was recessed in the body of the phone?

Well, the apple bumper causes the same problem. I have tried numerous pairs of headphones and cables and NONE of them are able to work with the bumper.

Also, the ringer / vibrate switch is impossible to use with the bumper. I have larger fingers and I can't activate the switch. My girlfriend has tiny hands and even she isn't able to switch it. Only after cramming her nail in there was she able to switch it.

The build quality is descent and its a solid case / bumper / whatever you want to call it.

I would advise everyone to stay away from the bumper, unless you can deal with the issues mentioned above. This thing is completely useless to me, hopefully my local apple store will accept a return.

--edit--

My post title is a bit sensational. Terrible isn't the right word. This thing feels like a quality case, but it has some major flaws that make it a poor case in my opinion. (The headphone jack hole isn't large enough and the ringer switch is difficult to use with the bumper.)

2. Mpjohnny5 macrumors newbie

What color, where did you get it and did they have alot? And wheres the pics?

3. Pointer macrumors regular

The bumper is not terrible at all.

The aftermarket headphone issue isn't great but the majority of people won't use aftermarket headphones.

As for the vibrate switch, it's a non issue for me. Do you have the bumper on properly?

4. Macficionado macrumors newbie

I can confirm the ringer / vibrate switch problem. I certainly have to use my nails to get to it.

My headphones (B&W P5 and Bose In-Ear), however, work perfectly. They have the regular plugs, though.

5. dmb420 thread starter macrumors member

Yes its on properly. I'm glad it isn't an issue for everyone. It's an issue for me because i use my phone for music while in the car. I've tried a bunch of headphones and different 3.5mm cables and none of them work. I've used a lot of other cases (mainly different iskins) without issue.

6. dmb420 thread starter macrumors member

I'll get some pics up in a minute. I got it at the apple store in richmond va. They had a lot of them, but only in black.

7. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I was going to say nonsense, the bumper (while being overpriced) is actually quite good, nice attention to detail with the silver buttons and all... but I suspect you're right about the headphone port. I don't have a problem with my Sleek Audio SA1's, but from having certain other brands in the past it could well be a sticky issue for some.

As it's purely rubber around the port it could be enlarged... but then if you've already paid for a relatively expensive case, why would you have too?

Definitely worth checking first if you have an oversized headphone jack.

8. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Thanks for the heads-up man. BTW, any reception issues while holding it in your hand without the bumper?

9. dmb420 thread starter macrumors member

I haven't had a chance to test it without the bumper. It's been great so far with the bumper.

Here are some pics of the bumper. I tried to take a picture of it with a 3.5mm cable plugged in that wouldn't fit, but pictures really don't do it any justice. It looks normal in the picture.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      55.2 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      42.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      81.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      126.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      159 KB
      Views:
  10. dmb420 thread starter macrumors member

Here are a few more pictures...

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      42.3 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      49 KB
      Views:
  11. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

12. bova80 macrumors 6502a

here's how you resolve the headphone issue, get a drill bit larger then that hole and drill it out more.

13. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I just picked up the Griffin Reveal, which is a no brainer compared to the Bumpers unless you want a special color.
    Cheaper and protects the back glass.

No problem with the headphone jack of course.

14. dmb420 thread starter macrumors member

I thought about that, but I don't feel like I should have to modify a 30 dollar product just to do something as simple as fit a standard 3.5mm jack. I'm going to try and return it to my local apple store tomorrow. I'd go today, but its an absolute zoo up there.

Nice. I'll have to check those out. I'll probably end up buying an iskin case, as i've owned a lot of their products in the past and they've been top-notch. I watched my 3gs go tumbling down a steep aggregate driveway (20+ feet) and it survived no problem. I had it in an iskin solo fx se case.

15. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Just picked up my bumper. Was using two different cases before i picked up at ATT yesterday. Bumper is so much better in terms of:

- Build Quality. Its very nice. Metal buttons are a sleek touch
    - Fit
    - Thinness. One thing about this phone is its so thin i dont want to add bulk. On my previous 3gs i had the incipio feather which was perfect. The bumpers provide very limited additional bulk.

I tried my two pair of headphones - the crappy gym one and the expensive ones. Both worked fine. But i can DEF see how certain headphones would not work without mod of either of the headphones or case.

This is a perfect everyday case for me. My biggest thing is whether i want the bumper in white. I love the black on black but white may make it easier to distinguish.

I aslo dont care about protecting the screen and back (the bump limp is perfect for the occasional drop). Never had a prob on the 3Gs and i like the look and feel without.

16. ducktales macrumors regular

i agree. i don't like using the provided headphones by apple and i have my own headphones. i have the same problem. i can't plug it in all the way. what a POS

17. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I was going to get the reveal, but it looked like a really cheap plastic on the back.

18. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

If fit is a problem, get a razor blade and make it work. I'm sure you could neatly cut the bumper a bit. Not sure if that was mentioned, getting overwhelmed by so many threads to post in. lolz

19. green94 macrumors regular

I'm assuming NO, but with the bumpers on does the phone still fit in the iPhone4 dock?

20. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

The fact that is can't take a larger headphone piece is a dealbreaker for me. So glad i didn't get one. I may have tried it if they had white or orange.

21. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

There were pictures with an iPhone with a bumper in the dock somewhere.

22. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Glad my Shure earphones still work.

23. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

Anyone try the bumper with a zagg invisibleshield?

24. aluren macrumors 65816

Well the bumper's not the only case that restricts other headphone plugs. I have a UE-10Pro that I uses often with my phone, and so I never use any cases on it.

25. mra1989 macrumors member

Did apple or AT&T by chance have front and back screen protectors available today, I wouldn't dare use any iPhone without them.