Apple Bumpers

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Peter Franks, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Out of interest, how many people still use these? I've been using it for about 5 months for no other reason than I thought, I liked it at the time, and paid 25 odd pounds or whatever it was, so use it. But, just wondered what the current 'fave' is for the iphone 4, and the ones that don't mark the phone, let the dust in, cracked corners, etc. etc. and all the other major gripes that every review has. Is there an out and out clear runner favourite with people?

2. Gaven macrumors member

Yes, I am using the Black one on and off. Use for 1 month, chuck it in my drawer, after many months took it out and it's still good and nice to use. :)

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeh, it's weird that isn't it? When you take it off it's nice to put back on after a while. I don't get that!:confused:

4. Gaven macrumors member

Yup, not too bad and yet still providing for better grips. :)

5. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I used mine about 98% of the time and now it's starting to tear and peel. I'm looking for another bumper-type case but can't find a good one that isn't curvy (a la Vapor case) or provides ridges for both the front and back of the phone. As relatively expensive as the Apple Bumper was, it served nearly all functions very well.

6. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I put a bumper on the rare occasion I feel I need some extra protection. Though I am not sure the thing would help at all if the phone was dropped. For example I went on vacation to Florida and had the bumper on the whole time. Once I got home it came right back off.

On the other hand, my wife has a white iPhone and uses a bumper almost all the time. Though I think in her case its more of a "fashion thing" then for protection.

7. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I am using mine again after I threw my Otterbox Defender away for sucking. I even complained to their CS department and got nowhere.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Anyone want to buy one? I still have mine from the free case program and I Never used it.

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I recently purchased one from the Marketplace and will be using it with the Invisible Shield. I love the idea behind it and it feels good in your hand (that's what she said :D). The only thing I dislike is how much dust and crap it gathers.

10. spurbs macrumors member

i have 3 of them and like to switch colors every so often. I have dropped my phone a few times and the bumper kept the phone safe

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

They're anything from 25 to 30 £ in the UK now for the Apple bumpers, but I still feel like something is missing, Should I cover the back, should I use screen protector.. Most cases are the same price as the bumpers, but I don't know anymore. What winds me up is the amount of cases on the market and you just know that 95% of them are probably awful. I have one tiny mark on the metal sides because of the bumper, but only I know it's there. It's one of those niggles that nobody would see other than us guys. Because of the design of the iPhone 4 and the fact its so nice to hold, cases just get in the way! It is good for grip though, I have to agree

12. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

I have the bumper but see way to many reviews on the apple site about how it tears etc. I think the incase snap may be a good one.

13. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeh, that's another one I've heard corners crack, let's in dust etc....

14. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have both the vapor pro, incase snap case. And 3 apple bumpers - the snap case and bumpers are great for protection and easy on/off action but the pro is much more stylish.

Between the bumper and incase snap case I'd definitely go for the snap case. Much cleaner.

15. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

The Snap has a lot of open holes doesn't it, and the volume buttons open.
    Is the Vapor Pro worth £100?

16. Surely Guest

Surely

I've been using a bumper for the entire time I've had the iP4 (since last July).

I alternate between the black Apple one and two unofficial ones (white/black & red/black) that I bought for $4 each.

17. Thrilledge macrumors regular

I've tried several cases and always back with the Apple Bumper.

18. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Do you guys take out the bumpers to clean it often, or use it as is? I've had the same 2 bumpers repeatedly scratching the metal bezel on my previous phone.

19. TheXFactor macrumors regular

The bumpers are so strange looking. Is it mostly ATT users because they got the farked antenna? You can tell the ATT phones from the Verizon ones because all the ATT iPhones have the bumpers.... LOL.

Seriously, with all the great choices for cases and such, why on earth would anyone want to use one of those things on their iPhone?

20. AlvinNguyen, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011

AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

a lot of holes? No -

[​IMG]

21. xMClass macrumors 6502

Back when I used mine I cleaned it once a week and it still scratched my iPhone's antenna band. I've been using my iP4 naked up until recently, I have an Incase Slider on it currently but wouldn't mind trying out the revised (GSM & CDMA) bumper since people seem to say they fit "better" than the old version.

Anybody have the newer bumper? How does it fit compared to the original?

22. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

They do, it fits really nicely (more snug) but the problem is that it still scratches your antenna band if you don't clean it often.

23. GP_1 macrumors regular

I use my black one all the time. Would love to take it off sometimes... Problem is it's scratched up my phone. SMH!

24. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

That's not the Incase Snap, I saw... Strange, had more openings

And yeh, the bumper should be taken of fairly regularly, I don't do that often once I put it back on, but the rim on the screen side are always clogged up with dust and it can't be cleaned out too well while it's on, It's pretty impossible actually, unless you take it off. But I take it off less and less now, and even if it doesn't mark, it dulls the sides of the phone

25. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Hi AlvinNguyen
    That snap case looks sweet, thats the new clear frost and mine should be here today.
    Ive been using the bumper for months but if u looks at the shiney part of the bumper it gets all scuffed up and it starts to look like crap after a while.
    The snap cases hold up well and keep the phone slim. i put my phone with bumper next to my wifes with the snap case and wow the bumper makes the phone alot bigger ;)