Apple Buys DataTiger, a UK Digital Marketing Startup

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 14, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple recently purchased Data Tiger, a UK startup focused on digital marketing, reports Bloomberg. The acquisition, says Bloomberg, could improve Apple's digital marketing and make it "more relevant to customers."

DataTiger's website is blank, but a LinkedIn page for the company says that it offers a set of tools that enable customers to build marketing software that "puts data to work."

[​IMG]
    Specifically, the site more accurately takes advantage of customer data to send relevant materials and advertisements to them.

Apple appears to have made the purchase in December, and based on a regulatory filing discovered by Bloomberg, now controls Operatedata, DataTiger's legal name. A spokesperson has yet to confirm the acquisition, however.

Article Link: Apple Buys DataTiger, a UK Digital Marketing Startup

2. AngerDanger, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Huh, sounds interesting. I wonder what this could mean—

Oh, for ****'s sake.

3. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Apple, openly going over to the Dark Side. StarWars reborn!;):D

4. zachkolk macrumors regular

zachkolk

“...increase retention & monetisation. With our platform you can individually optimize...”
    So are they British or American? Weird to see “monetisation” and then “optimize.”

5. JohnnieBBadde macrumors member

Since Tim said that Apple would not monetize customers' data I'm positive that Apple only acquired that company to keep its technology out of the hands of other tech giants that don't operate solely for the benefit of humanity like Apple does.

6. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Cosmosent

Sounds like AAPL may be "Exploring" getting into Facebook's, Google's, & Amazon's game !

If for example, AAPL we're to REVERT BACK to reasonable prices for their iPhone product line, then they could make up for that with Ads, their own Ads.

Taking that one step further, AAPL could offer a flagship iPhone "w/ Ads" for $499 USD, as an Option.

Call it a New Tier, an AAPL Ad-supported Tier.

There is Risk of Backlash, however.

7. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

At first glance I thought this said TigerDirect...

8. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

Great! I can’t wait for more emails telling me to downgrade my iPhone X for an Xr!

9. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

“you can individually optimize the marketing flows for your customers in real-time across all channels.“

I wish everybody who writes crap like this would contract a disease that causes them to feel like they’ve been punched in the face.

10. jeremiah256 macrumors 65816

jeremiah256

I know it looks bad, and it's something we definitely need to keep our eyes on, but as long as the data that Apple has on us is kept in house and used only by Apple, I have no real issues with it. Like it or not, tailored interactions with digital assistants are the future and Apple can't be left too far behind.

11. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

"Using DataTiger is the fastest and easiest way to increase retention & monetisation. With our platform you can individually optimize the marketing flows for your customers in real-time across all channels.

DataTiger can be used as an online tool, importing your data and set up user flows in minutes, with all of your data living in the cloud - or it can be fully customized in-house, building your own marketing solution via our APIs + open-source front-end components." -
    DataTiger

tl;dr targeted advertising;)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2019 ---
    100% guarantee someone is going to attempt to make this seem okay... cuz Apple. :rolleyes:

12. Zenithal macrumors 604

It's a fancy way of saying they built a tool that listens to digital text conversations online (and uses some form of ML) about their clients and their clients' competitors and provide services to their clients to maximize cash flow by using quality advertising methods that guarantee a better RoI.

It would have been wiser for Apple to buy Simply Measured.

13. Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

I've always said Apple cannot compete in the AI/Assistant space without user data, it's the reason they are being smoked in those categories now. It'll be interesting to see how Apple & Tiger handle user data though. Interesting news to say the least. Apple running around playing the Privacy Knights is really kicking them in the pants. Data is the future!

14. alexhardaker macrumors regular

15. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

According the Apple it’s not true that their privacy policy hinders Siri functionality:

Apple Explains How It’s Making Siri Smart Without Endangering User Privacy

https://www.fastcompany.com/4044305...g-siri-smart-without-endangering-user-privacy

But DataTiger apparently helps with increasing the relevance of marketing efforts including ads. Maybe it optimized marketing flows on the online store, or helps them personalize that trade-in offer for the XR, who knows... but from the description provided it doesn’t appear to have anything to do with Siri.

16. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Tim Cook: It’s not what you think.

Tim Cook (internally): Do whatever it takes (discretely) - iPhone sales are tanking!!!!!!!!!!!

17. irrg macrumors newbie

irrg

Lots of negativity.

I know iAds failed, but what if Apple's trying to create a marketing platform that doesn't do privacy-averse **** to prove that it can be done?

18. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

This actually made me laugh for real. :) well played.

19. jtara macrumors 68000

So, they're professional spammers.

20. FyerFyer macrumors regular

FyerFyer

Please tell me you’re being sarcastic. Tim seems polite but he’s not that nice.

21. Tech198 macrumors G5

For some reason, i hate the use of the word "Apple" and "marketing"in the same sentence. because the result does not equal "privacy"

22. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

So, Apple now also wants to become a "data tiger". Like Google. That might be a bitter pill for some Apple fans.

23. mi7chy, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019

mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy