Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
What's gonna be finished first, the new campus or the skylake macbook pro?

RossGGG

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Are they going to import the water for that lush green landscaping from another state?

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Are they going to import the water for that lush green landscaping from another state?

The campus will be one hundred percent xeriscaped, from what I remember. The trees outside are to be native almond and probably avocado. Lots of pasture grass too. It probably won't need any water at all aside from the occasional rain.

Reactions: chabig

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
They have been out of space for years and occupy many buildings off their main campus. This lets them put everyone together.
Yup, this is very similar to the growing pain that Apple had when Infinite Loop was build now about twenty years ago. Before IL, Apple was a mix of rented buildings along De Anza Blvd., Green Valley way and the Cupertino City Center. Opening up IL, back then, two thirds of the company moved into the Loop. Now they are overflowing again to where they are, ironically, renting out the same buildings they left. There has been a lot of office space turf wars of Mac and iOS teams. The spaceship will consolidate a lot.

Been told the plan is to keep IL, convert a lot of the offices into training centers while also keeping the deep dark stuff still operating on Bubb Road for legacy. Steve Jobs office will stand as a time capsule in the same way Yale keeps Einstein's office, how Disney keeps Walt's old Burbank office and how Charlie Chaplin's office is kept in Hollywood Boulevard.

Doom and gloom stories about California going to hell is nothing new. This state has a great history of looking disaster straight in the face, flipping it off and coming up with a solution that no one expected keeping the game going. I'm sure this so called "no more water by year's end" is not different.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I wonder if all Apple people will have their own transportation underground to the new Campus 2..

"Welcome to the underground loop express. The new underground railway that will get you to the Campus in about 5 minutes... For those in a rush. speeds at 200mph. between stops a minute apart."

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I wonder if all Apple people will have their own transportation underground to the new Campus 2..

"Welcome to the underground loop express. The new underground railway that will get you to the Campus in about 5 minutes... For those in a rush. speeds at 200mph. between stops a minute apart."

Doing underground tunnels around Silicon Valley is a total pain due to earthquake codes. Most homes don't even have a cellar due to the cost of building one that fits to earthquake code. Supposedly the plan is to have a circular moving sidewalk on all the floors of the mothership and escalators just like those at airports. You'll be able to go from one side of the mothership to another in less than ten minutes. Keep wondering how they will handle the noise of all the moving platforms.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I wonder how many workers hate the guy operating the drone
I met a few of the construction workers on the new campus. Few have noticed the drones as they have other things to do while on site. Also been told that Apple is paying quite well and dismissed a few contractors over sub-standard construction workers with poor English language skills brought in on the site.

Unlike most construction clients, Apple is auditing the contractors payroll making sure that there is no fat cat "sitting on margin" thats way too pervasive through the building construction business. When Apple pays big bucks for an A-Team crew, Apple is making sure the contractor is not getting cheap and giving them B or C team construction workers with a lesser work ethic or experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.