Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justkell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Quick back story....

I have two phones in the apple upgrade program, mine and my husbands. They both are under my name in the program.

On Friday I upgraded both phones on separate orders like I have always done in the past to the 12 pro.

Today I received an email saying they cancelled one of the orders. So I contacted customer service and was told that to be fair they were only allowing 1 phone order per person so everyone has a fair chance in getting a new phone and that there is no date of when this restriction will be lifted. I asked if I can just wait and order the pro max on 11/6 for the other line and I was told I can try but that too probably will be cancelled due to it being an order for a second phone under the same customer and that my only option right now is to wait for it to come out in stores and see what their inventory is there.

Has this happened to anybody else?? None of this makes sense.

wittyphrase

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2017
New York
Don't have anything meaningful to contribute other than that I would be really pissed if that happened. I've preordered different devices, both under my name for my wife and I and never had this happen.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Vegasryn

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Similar situation, my wife is using upgrade program for both of our phones.

What we do though is I order mine through my apple account, and she uses hers for her phone. Both billing goes through Citizen under her info, but it looks like two different orders from two different people.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Seems like they’re within their rights to do that but it is very anti-customer to cancel orders. It doesn’t feel like an “Apple” move to treat people like that especially if you’re on an upgrade program. Of course you want the new one as soon as you possibly can!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I've heard situations like this but that's odd. I do have both Graphite and Pacific Blue on order and both are preparing to ship. I will also be pre-ordering the Pro Max on 11/6/2020 so I hope there won't be any issues.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
If they’re in preparing to ship I believe you are past the hurdle of cancelling

can go on ups and lookup by reference and put in phone # associated with order or order number minus last two digits

mine seems in transit even though still says preparing to ship on apple site

edit - on att plan not iPhone upgrade

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Also doesn't make any sense to why. I mean I ordered 4 last year for the 11 Pro Max on pre-order day and all were separate orders. And all of them got delivered without any issues and Apple didn't even cancel them. Weird.

Drew1204

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
Same here. Had two orders in the apple upgrade program and this morning one of them was canceled.

justkell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I figured if this was their current policy it should be listed somewhere stating this. Or they should have made it clear prior to ordering that they were limiting it to one phone per customer. I did the pre-pre-order on my phone app the night before to make sure all i had to do was confirm and check out when the preorder started. Everything was good to go then.

When I go to my orders to check the status it says I cancelled the order.

What's the difference between me ordering it online and ordering it in store. Both ways I'm still using the upgrade program.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I figured if this was their current policy it should be listed somewhere stating this. Or they should have made it clear prior to ordering that they were limiting it to one phone per customer. I did the pre-pre-order on my phone app the night before to make sure all i had to do was confirm and check out when the preorder started. Everything was good to go then.

When I go to my orders to check the status it says I cancelled the order.

What's the difference between me ordering it online and ordering it in store. Both ways I'm still using the upgrade program.
Seems like this is an issue with those on the upgrade program? I hope this isn't the case for those who are paying outright.

justkell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
i just spoke to another rep and they said that the issue was with placing two orders close together and that if i placed an order now it should be fine. argh.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
i just spoke to another rep and they said that the issue was with placing two orders close together and that if i placed an order now it should be fine. argh.
That's gotta be frustrating. See if have the option for in-store pick up. Apparently Apple Michigan Ave in Chicago, IL has a pick up available for the 24th of October.
Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 3.29.48 PM.png

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
I think it was likely the close timing between orders since it also seems they had some technical issues and some people had orders go through multiple times and the system cancelled the later orders once everything settled. OP, what were the time stamps on your orders?

denisej

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Illinois
Wow...seeing this post made me check my orders. I ordered 2 IP12 and 1 IP12 Pro at the same time with Apple card at about 5:05am launch day. Mine look like they've all shipped. I just checked by reference number.

rebretz000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2018
Both mine are preparing to ship but I put my on my Apple Card with the 24 month payment plan and already got my cash back.

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I don’t see how this makes sense. We paid for the IUP which gives us the right to upgrade every 12 months. How can they say we can’t then. Will they pay the extra payment?
And why can people outright order two phones not on IUP. How is that different?

I ordered 4 last year at same time.
THis year I ordered 2 pro’s , but several days apart. I plan to order two Pro Max as separate orders but at the same time.

Maybe I should have my daughter order her own phone. ... I’ll be watching this thread.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
My wife and I do this as well. I order mine under my Apple ID with my billing info then I use her phone and order under her Apple ID also using my billing info. I’ve done it the past two years like this and it’s worked no problem.

Two apple IDs look like two separate orders to them I guess?

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
Apple has always limited the number of iPhones a person can purchase on release day. It’s meant to prevent scalping. I think the usual limit is two but supplies may be shorter than usual this year.
[automerge]1603147665[/automerge]
Looks like they might be trying to stop people from just ordering several phones to compare the colors and then returning.

More like reselling on eBay.

Reactions: 4sallypat

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Looks like they might be trying to stop people from just ordering several phones to compare the colors and then returning.
Right, but on IUP it’s tied to an existing iPhone serial number, so they are separate orders.
So if that’s the problem they are trying to stop, then they’d go after the month to month Apple Card or full payment phones.

Reactions: Mr. Heckles

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Apple has always limited the number of iPhones a person can purchase on release day. It’s meant to prevent scalping. I think the usual limit is two but supplies may be shorter than usual this year.
[automerge]1603147665[/automerge]

More like reselling on eBay.
Right, likely limit to 2 in a single order but you can have multiple orders. Last year I ordered 4 iphone 11 pro max on pre-order day and all very close to each other in timing and all separate orders and all were delivered. I know that eventually if you order a lot, you will get the message saying you have exceeded the limit.

Xarthan

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I do the same thing as the OP here, next year might do a separate account as someone suggested. I didn't get canceled but I did get my 2 AppleCare+ emails this morning with the serial numbers and all that.

Wondering if it was something the rep just said, but wasn't the actual case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.