Apple Cannot get MacBook Pro Fixed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hbrake69, Jul 4, 2012.

1. hbrake69 macrumors newbie

I am wondering if anyone else has had the problems I have been having. I have been an Apple Customer for over 20 years. I currently have a MacBook Pro 17" with an i7 and maxed out on memory. I have been having problems for over 3 months with the computer overheating to the point of burning me once and the applications such as Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Word running and loading very very slow. Much slower than it has in the past. I have AppleCare Protection on the unit. However, so far it has been into service at the Apple Store 5 times and has been sent to the Apple Depot for repairs for the same issues 2 times. Since the last repair where they replaced many parts, it has started overheating bad and burned me and the new battery they installed about 1.5 months ago lasts about 2 hours on battery power. My case has been escalated to Apple Executive Relations now for over 2 months and they cannot get the MacBook Pro fixed and they offer no solutions. I have tried sending an email to Tim Cook, just like we could in the past to Steve Jobs, but all of my emails go back to the Apple Executive Relations representative who has told me that I will have to keep sending the computer in for up to 6 days at a time until they figure out what is wrong with the unit. This is getting very old - if you can't fix it in 7 times, can Apple ever fix the unit?

Anyone have any ideas?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yeah.....they should have replaced the entire unit after the 3rd or 4th repair. I would demand a replacement.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

4. astrorider macrumors 6502

I could be mistaken, but it partly sounds like you're describing a rogue application that's consuming all your CPU, causing the computer to heat up and other applications to run slowly. When it starts heating up, is there something running at full CPU as indicated by Activity Monitor?

5. hbrake69 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have checked the CPU allocation and it doesn't show any application running the full CPU or anything consistent to cause the overheating or draining the battery within 2 hours - the brand new batter Apple installed a month ago.

I have requested a replacement and I was told no by the Apple Executive Support person. I have tried to go around him, and I keep getting passed back to him.

All he says is I'm so sorry - but we will eventually get it fixed. It is going in again tomorrow for service to the Apple Depot for the same problem.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

hopefully they get it fixed for you, unfortunately the 3 fixes and its replaced rule is a made up rule

7. specik macrumors 6502

specik

All I can say is that normally if your machine goes in for repair and gets a major component replaced three times or more, it's usually eligible for a complete machine replacement. This kind of thing typically happens more at your local Apple Genius Bar. I'd take your computer back in and speak with a Family Room Manager at the store. Bring all your previous work authorizations with you and explain your situation.

8. hbrake69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will try that immediately. I have never had problems like this with a Mac or even any Apple Product.

Thanks

9. specik macrumors 6502

specik

Coming from someone that used to work at Apple, I can say that although the 3 fixes and replaced rule is definitely not set in stone, it's definitely a guideline that indicates it's time to bite the bullet and replace the customer's machine. This does vary by the situation and the store you visit.

10. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

No, it's not.

It's actually Federal Law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).

But you have to request replacement, else they will happily keep repairing the machine. (I'd tell you how I know this, but I had to sign an NDA.)

Emails to sjobs@apple.com about computer issues also ended-up being handled by Executive Relations. (I'd tell you how I know this, but I had to sign an NDA.)

11. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Exactly. I'm surprised they continued with repairing it up to 7 times. I would have demanded a replacement a long time ago. I'm even more surprised they haven't offered one to the OP yet. Usually after the 3rd attempt it becomes more cost effective to replace the entire unit than replace part after part and pay geniuses to preform the replacements in store.

12. hbrake69 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am dealing with Executive Relations already - and they are the ones that are dragging this out.

13. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Honestly, just be straight forward and tell them that you've had enough and you want a full replacement or a refund!!

14. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Generally, Apple Retail Stores are reluctant to offer whole machine replacement, as it 'counts against' their Genius Bar repair metrics (as does sending machines to depot).

Over-the-phone AppleCare senior reps and Executive Relations are much more amenable to replacing problematic machines, so long as it has a sufficient history to warrant replacement under the auspices of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. They will, however, likely ask you to take the machine to the local Genius Bar to verify the malfunction.

15. specik macrumors 6502

specik

In my experience on the Apple side of the Genius Bar, I can't say that's true in most cases. I personally offered whole machine replacements a bunch of times for multiple repair issues. It's also seen as negative from a metrics persepective for that store to continually have repeat repair machines in for the same issues.

16. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Wolfgang Puck used to serve "Fried Quail Eggs on a MacBook Pro" as a tableside item at Spago.

17. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i like what your selling tell me more

18. wethackrey macrumors 6502

Here's an idea. It seems like the assumption has been that you're dealing with a hardware problem and all attempts to fix it have been hardware related.

I'd try one of both of these things in troubleshooting the problem:

1) Hypothesis: There's something tweaked in your user account settings. Try creating a new user account on your Mac and see if the problem persists using that account. It's amazing how often this corrects performance problems.

2) Hypothesis: There's something tweaked in the OS or an unwanted process running in the background. Try booting from a clean installation of OS X. You can use an external drive for this if you like.

19. unibility macrumors 6502

I hope they replace it soon. Did you keep a record of all your case numbers? I would go back to the Apple Store and tell them I wouldn't stand for such inadequate service.

I had my 2008 MacPro Duo Quad Core replaced at the Genius Bar for a 2010 model after it was serviced 6 times. Good luck.

20. hbrake69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion, however, we have done both of these several times - the new user and the new clean system. I have spent hours rebuilding the software on the computer since Apple Support doesn't want me to use the Time Machine backup.

----------

At one point the Apple Executive Support person actually suggested that I sell this MacBook Pro on eBay with the Apple Care Warranty and then buy a new MacBook Pro at my local Apple Store. When I questioned him on this recommendation, he recanted and said that this wasn't what he meant to imply.

I have spoke to the Apple Family Manager at the local Apple Store and he stated since it is already with Executive Relations there isn't really anything he can do. Therefore, I am now sending an email to my contact in Apple Executive Relations and copying tcook@apple.com and sjobs@apple.com with the demand for a new machine. Thanks to all of you for your help. I will let you know what they say.

21. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Glad your experience behind the counter is/was different than mine. (If you're currently working for ARS, I wouldn't advertise it openly, on this site.)

----------

Given that you're in Hamilton, there's a possibility that you already know more… if you work in the call center.

Besides, I have 3-4 pages of signed legal agreements that restrict me from saying more.

----------

+1 on the clean install.

22. specik macrumors 6502

specik

Nah. I left months ago. Moved on to greener pastures doing what I actually love and have been doing all my life... web development. But yeah, my experience was different than most peoples... worked at one of the flagships in NYC

23. Radiating macrumors 65816

They are required by law to replace your item for 3 repeated repairs of the same issue under warranty, though technically apple care may not be a "warranty" by legal standards and this may only apply to the original warranty.

Either way this seems like a horrible business decision. It is well known that Apple makes 100% profit on their hardware sales (which is still very much worth it). Meaning that not only are they still breaking even if they give you a replacement, but if they manage to turn you off to the brand then they will lose any money they've made from avoiding a replacement several times over.

They are behaving in a way that is majorly lose/lose for them in every way. Just replace your computer.

24. goMac macrumors 603

Emails sent to Steve Jobs usually went to executive relations as well. This is nothing new.