'Apple Car' Project Lead Steve Zadesky to Leave Apple

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 22, 2016.

1. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Apple making a self driving car would be an absolute disaster. An incredibly expensive disaster that would take years to recover from if it were even possible.

What a truly horrendous idea.

Apple is great at consumer electronics. It's what they've always done. They have literally zero experience in the automotive industry, which is an entirely different beast. Worst of all, several other companies are already working on it, and since Google has SO much more data about users driving habits, they will have an enormous advantage over Apple.

It seems to me like a bunch of clueless MBA executive drones at Apple have no idea what they should do next, so they read about self driving cars on some website and decided it sounded like a great idea. This is precisely the reason you should never let bean counters run a company that requires creativity and original thought. There are real areas that Apple could invest and make a difference in, and make iPhone-level profits in the process. Fields like artificial intelligence, quantum computing enabled cloud services, etc. are the future of technology and it's a shame to see Apple completely miss the boat.

Self driving cars are a fantastic idea, but NOT for Apple. Companies like Google and Tesla have a natural advantage in this field that will be impossible for Apple to catch up with.

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

The basic cell phone shape/size hasn't radically changed over the past 15 or so years. The watch is not the next phone in 5 years.

3. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

With items like microsupercapacitors, Formula E, loads of new battery tech coming out of universities globally, the next couple of years will likely bring about some serious battery improvements. Instant charge? Over the air charge?
    This aspect is set to break wide open and soon.

4. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Personal reasons: He's a multimillionaire and doesn't have to work.

16 years at Apple, I'm sure that he's (deservedly) loaded.

5. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

Am I the only person who has a problem with the creepy pic? [shudder]

That's got to be a meme somewhere...

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Demanding accomodations of AT&T is one thing. Demanding accomodations of the US goverment, states, agencies, and several unions is a whole other matter.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2016 ---
    I know from professional experience that most such deals are confidential, even with public companies. For example, look at that billion google paid Apple for the search engine preference. You would think it would be difficult to hide a whole billion in shareholder reports, but here it happened.

I am sure Apple has a huge tech transfer and licensing arm - look at their job postings in that area. Its not sexy or newsworthy, but its there. Like i said, when it comes to autonomous cars and such tech, way more money there than manufacturing.

7. JimmyHook macrumors 6502a

One guy isn't a blow to a project... if it were they shouldn't proceed at all. I'm willing to bet they have multiple talented leaders with the experience they need. Besides, sometimes fresh thinking is better than established thinking. Maybe an outsider will be better. Maybe Apple will finally pony up 30 billion for Tesla with a stake in SpaceX (my personal recommendation if I could deliver one)
    Apple is an experience company. They sell experiences, not electronics.

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Tesla is going to bring down the dealerships. The FTC is already solidly on Tesla's side. It's just a matter of time before the FTC starts dismantling the power that dealerships have.

Also, there's no reason Apple has to use off the shelf tires or anything else. BMW is notorious for using their own parts throughout their cars. My parent's 2004 Honda Odyssey came with special run-flat tires and wasn't compatible with any other tires without adapters.

Also, it's not like Apple is completely against using standard disposable things. The previous generations of the wireless mouse, keyboard, and trackpad all just took standard AA batteries. The media remotes took standard watch batteries (not sure about the Siri remote... Does it charge over USB or just use standard batteries?)

9. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Apple is not spreading itself, they are much bigger now than just a few years before.

Why is Apple making a car? Simple, anyone can make a 4 wheel vehicle, but making what this century needs in terms of automotive is not in the competences of most car manufacturers. Battery technology, self-driving systems, etc.

Also, Apple is very competent in design and metal works.

10. iPadCary macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

"The project's experiencing problems because of a lack of clear goals ...."
    As a stockholder, I am outraged by this statement!
    Steve was the 180° antithesis of this:
    it's what he said Apple's NUMBER ONE problem was upon his return.
    Dear God, could the BOD please get Cook out of there and back in "Supply" where he belongs??

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Right because if it's reported in the WSJ that makes it fact. :rolleyes:

12. wikiverse macrumors 6502a

20,000? There are only 80,000 employees working at Apple in total - including all of their Retail operations. They probably have less than 50 people working on it.
    Because a smartphone is just a small computer - which they already made. A car is an entirely different engineering process, industry and skill set.

13. 2010mini macrumors 601

This website is called mac RUMORS isn't it? Otherwise it would be mac FACTS

14. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Less than 50 people? LMAO! Elon Musk said that they have hired more than 1000 engineers.

You talk like a car was some kind of lost art.

15. wikiverse macrumors 6502a

Almost everything you do on your phone is visual. Games, internet, text, books. Pretty much no one uses the phone as a phone, and very few people use siri - because talking to machines isn't something people want to do - especially in public.

'wearables' is a gimmick. It's the phone equivalent of 3D televisions. People have voted with their money and they want large phone screens.

16. JimmyHook macrumors 6502a

Are you joking???? It's dramatically better. iCloud syncing and full device backup is still light years ahead of what Android can do.

The latest Garage Band and Music Memos apps are phenomenal by any measure.

OS X is still superior to windows by any reasonable measure

17. wikiverse macrumors 6502a

Well, if Elon Musk says so, then it MUST be true! They MUST be working on an actual car and not just technology to license to existing car manufacturers. You know, with Elon Musk being a loyal Apple employee and spokesperson.

Apple couldn't even develop Sapphire glass manufacturing. You think they're actually going to start manufacturing cars. :rolleyes:

18. JimmyHook macrumors 6502a

You're right. They failed at making sapphire (stares at Apple Watch on wrist)

19. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Right but MR doesn't report only rumors. They could have included the world allegedly or reportedly just to be clear since it's not something Apple has confirmed.

20. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Lol @ people still thinking Apple isn't making a car.

21. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

His first prototype failed crash tests.

[​IMG]

22. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm very puzzled about the reasons Apple is exploring this field....
    I can't see an huge market for electric cars yet.
    Google? Tell me how the are a credible car company?

23. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

When you put it that way...I agree. Apple will not produce the LCDs for the Apple Car displays. They'll almost certainly source the LCDs (or OLEDs) from one or more suppliers.

24. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

This could apply to almost all projects that have been developed by Apple in the last few years.

25. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Sounds like what people said about Apple getting into the Music business and into the cell phone business.

The irony in this is that Apple is far more suited to build a car than develop technologies such artificial intelligence or quantum computing. Apple is a consumer company and not a research firm.

It kinda is. Besides Telsa no one is innovating in the car industry.