Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Ok, believe it or not, I actually still get paper bills and send my payments in by writing a check. No, really! This post isn't from 1989. ;)

I really would rather not have an outside entity (in this case, Goldman Sachs) having direct access to my checking account. I also don't do online banking either. (well, other than using my app's like Amex/BoA to check my balances).

But since paper bills/return envelope seems to be a no go with the Apple Credit Card, what are my payment options (ok, other than sending all my $$ to you all for safe keeping)? ;) That is, what do you youngin's do to pay off your Apple Card at the end of the month.

What options are available?

1. Directly paying it from checking account (ideally rather not).

2. Paying from another card (which I hear isn't an option).

3. Diverting $$ from my main checking account to another account that I'd just use for payment with Apple Card.

4. Using Apple Pay Cash to somehow take $$ from one of my other credit cards and using that $$ to pay off the monthly bill that way(?)

5. Using Paypal or a service like that(?)

Please help this old luddite out! Thanks!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take some Geritol and put on some Lawrence Welk albums..

GeekyGrannie

macrumors regular
May 15, 2015
Ok, believe it or not, I actually still get paper bills and send my payments in by writing a check. No, really! This post isn't from 1989. ;)

I really would rather not have an outside entity (in this case, Goldman Sachs) having direct access to my checking account. I also don't do online banking either. (well, other than using my app's like Amex/BoA to check my balances).

But since paper bills/return envelope seems to be a no go with the Apple Credit Card, what are my payment options (ok, other than sending all my $$ to you all for safe keeping)? ;) That is, what do you youngin's do to pay off your Apple Card at the end of the month.

3. Diverting $$ from my main checking account to another account that I'd just use for payment with Apple Card.

4. Using Apple Pay Cash to somehow take $$ from one of my other credit cards and using that $$ to pay off the monthly bill that way(?)

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take some Geritol and put on some Lawrence Welk albums..

1. This is what I do. I have set mine up to automatically deduct my payment from my checking account every month. But if you really want to spend your golden years moving money from one account to another, you could probably rig up something (see below).

2. Probably not an option but I don't know for sure.

3. Set up a separate checking account just to pay off your apple card. You could set up auto payments from this account, but you would be responsible for remembering to fund this account every month. Then your main account would not be exposed to GS.

4. Use your checking account to put money into your Apple Cash. Then you can use AC to pay off your Apple card -- automatically if you want -- and you would bypass GS (I think).

5. See number 2.

Good Luck!

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis

Wait im confused. Apple Card is strictly through the app everything is electronic. You signed up for an all online card with in app payments but are against paying from a checking account electronically? Sounds like this wasn't for you from the beginning and you shouldn't have signed up.

teejayhoward

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
Wait im confused. Apple Card is strictly through the app everything is electronic. You signed up for an all online card with in app payments but are against paying from a checking account electronically? Sounds like this wasn't for you from the beginning and you shouldn't have signed up.
Some people (like me) don't like giving open access to their money to every business out there. I pay all of my bills electronically... But I have my bank SEND a payment, instead of allowing the companies to TAKE a payment. What's the difference? Well, what if the company screws up and claims you owe more than you actually do? With the SEND method, you can tell them to pound sand. That they can correct their mistake, and then send you a bill. With the TAKE payment, you're at their mercy trying to get your money back. It's significantly more difficult to get them to admit to a mistake once they already have your money in my experience.

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Some people (like me) don't like giving open access to their money to every business out there. I pay all of my bills electronically... But I have my bank SEND a payment, instead of allowing the companies to TAKE a payment. What's the difference? Well, what if the company screws up and claims you owe more than you actually do? With the SEND method, you can tell them to pound sand. That they can correct their mistake, and then send you a bill. With the TAKE payment, you're at their mercy trying to get your money back. It's significantly more difficult to get them to admit to a mistake once they already have your money in my experience.
I understand the fear. But if your against those payment methods why would you sign up for this card knowing everything is online?

brgjoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Simply put, I did not know EVERYTHING was online. After all, you do get a physical credit card which you use to swipe at establishments that aren't contactless.

I was hoping there would be a non online way to pay (as with all my other credit cards). Perhaps I should have read more. But since I didn't see where they wouldn't send statements via the mail, I was left then asking the question about how everyone else pays.

I am not blaming Apple or anything. It's my mistake. I was just here looking to see what options I had (and ones that preferably didn't give someone free reign to take $$ out of my account).

Thanks for the replies thus far.

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Simply put, I did not know EVERYTHING was online. After all, you do get a physical credit card which you use to swipe at establishments that aren't contactless.

I was hoping there would be a non online way to pay (as with all my other credit cards). Perhaps I should have read more. But since I didn't see where they wouldn't send statements via the mail, I was left then asking the question about how everyone else pays.

I am not blaming Apple or anything. It's my mistake. I was just here looking to see what options I had (and ones that preferably didn't give someone free reign to take $$ out of my account).

I mean if you don't use auto pay they can only take out the amount you authorize. I mean I understand your concern but it's Goldman Sachs and Apple risk here is pretty low.

Reactions: myscrnnm and brgjoe

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
I’m another old fart, and I share the same concerns. While the spending category analysis features do appeal to me, I would have to start a new bank account in order to pay the monthly balance. That’s another monthly step and account to manage that I don’t need or want, so I’m passing on the card for now.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Let's wait until people start getting their monthly statements, and then we will see if there is an address to which you send paper checks.

Reactions: brgjoe

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010

Not an "old fart" and do everything finance-related online, but I typically push everything from my bank's bill pay feature. I've gotten all my cards to cut on about the same day so I just fire off all the payments at once. Although the fallback is a paper check, I'd be willing to bet money that all of these are done electronically with the quick turnaround (usually a day). Besides that, if I ever decide to change checking accounts, I don't have to update the information everywhere (just add the cards to my new bank's bill pay feature). If Goldman Sachs eventually has some sort of way to pay via mail or bill-pay, it could be doable, but at this point, we really don't even know the true account number behind the scenes like most cards have.

I've seen mistakes happen, even with big companies (as mentioned in this thread), so I get the desire to limit the exposure. In that case, the best thing would probably be to load your Apple Cash card via your bank's debit card and then pay off your Apple Card with that. It's an extra step (checking->Apple Cash->Apple Card), but does create a buffer in between. Plus, if your bank has a lockable debit card, you can really isolate things.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The whole point of Apple Card is to use Apple Pay ( a new modern form of paying) which is automatically linked to your preferred bank or Apple Card. I simply think Apple Card is not for you.

Apple is trying to bring payments well into the 21st century, not go backwards.

If you have to ask about paper statements and writing checks....you're applying for the wrong card. Sorry if that sounds rude but just the facts.

You don't seem to trust online banking but are using a smart phone that is literally tracking your every step??

Color me confused....

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
The whole point of Apple Card is to use Apple Pay ( a new modern form of paying) which is automatically linked to your preferred bank or Apple Card. I simply think Apple Card is not for you.

If you have to ask about paper statements and writing checks....you're applying for the wrong card. Sorry if that sounds rude but just the facts.

You don't seem to trust online banking but are using a smart phone that is literally tracking your every step??

Color me confused....
Yaaay you understand my point as well! Signs up for online based CC and doesn't want online payments....wut
[doublepost=1565811151][/doublepost]
Because these willy nilly companies get hacked and they do not even tell you about it! The less my credit card or bank info is kept the better I feel.
The less credit card info they have? Pretty sure the bank issuing the card already has the info soooooo how you pay won't really matter now will it?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yaaay you understand my point as well! Signs up for online based CC and doesn't want online payments....wut
[doublepost=1565811151][/doublepost]
The less credit card info they have? Pretty sure the bank issuing the card already has the info soooooo how you pay won't really matter now will it?

Yes it matters. Barclays does NOT have my bank account information, not even Apple have it.

So it does matter now will it?

I likely will not even use the card

GeekyGrannie

macrumors regular
May 15, 2015
There is definitely a generational gap in trust at work here. It took me a long time to accept that ATM machines were here to stay (and I still count my money every time I withdraw from one). I have the Apple Card but I am treading lightly for now. Many have argued that the rewards are not that great and I agree. My hope is that its security features will make it worth while.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.

Color me confused....

Like I said, the Apple Card is also a physical card. Issued by an actual bank. Like all my other credit cards. And all my other credit cards provide some sort of paper statement/payment option. I thought perhaps the Apple Card would as well. My bad for not investigating that more closely.

However it seems my Flux Capacitor is in a bad state of disrepair. If it was working, I'd probably go back and alter a decision or two I made about this. I hear the parts to fix it are still in China. No doubt at the same factories making the iPhone X1. So I am stuck here in this timeline for awhile.

And since I am stuck in this particular universe now, I thought I'd ask the denizens residing here in this timeline what they would recommend I use. Since changing the timeline and going back to the past a no go for me this moment in, uh, time.

Oh, and I have used Apple Pay from day 1. Don't know what that has to do with online banking. <shrug> I mean, I put my existing credit card in it and pay for my items and then....gasp....pay my bill via a paper check. Been doing that way for YEARS now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the debit card to Apple Cash idea. Yeah, it's one extra step. But I don't mind having that extra layer of security.

In the meantime, while I wait for my Flux Capacitor to be serviced, I will perhaps try this online banking stuff. Who knows? I might actually enjoy being dragged into 21st century after all. ;)

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Oh, and I have used Apple Pay from day 1. Don't know what that has to do with online banking. <shrug> I mean, I put my existing credit card in it and pay for my items and then....gasp....pay my bill via a paper check. Been doing that way for YEARS now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the debit card to Apple Cash idea. Yeah, it's one extra step. But I don't mind having that extra layer of security.

Yeah, I don't think that's unreasonable—the idea of a firewall/buffer checking account has existed for years and with more services wanting direct access (even to get autopay discounts from some phone/internet providers), I get the idea of having another place that you can throw a bit of money that's separate.

https://www.mymoneyblog.com/setting-up-buffer-firewall-bank-accounts.html

A friend of mine spent the last couple of weeks going back and forth with Chase because $4000 was pulled out of her savings account and she didn't have that linked to anything but her checking. They eventually got it sorted out, but apparently it was a misfire/fraud with Zelle, not caused by her. I'm not sure if anything could've prevented that, but the process also showed how glacial some companies can be with resolving issues while your money is tied up.

While things generally do _work_ and there are measures for fraud protection, adding one little step or keeping things as consistent with other processes as possible makes sense. The "Pay Early" button on Apple Card seems to want to only pull from Apple Cash if you have a sufficient amount to cover it—no idea if you're over it, but I'm sure as time goes on, we'll see more reports during this first billing cycle.

Reactions: brgjoe

GeekyGrannie

macrumors regular
May 15, 2015

The "Pay Early" button on Apple Card seems to want to only pull from Apple Cash if you have a sufficient amount to cover it—no idea if you're over it, but I'm sure as time goes on, we'll see more reports during this first billing cycle.

You can use "Pay Early" to pay off any amount up to the amount you currently owe. Apple Cash is just another debit card so you can't take more from it than you currently have in that account. But you can use what you have in Apple Cash to pay on your card and fill in the rest from another debit card. Also, you can add funds to your Apple Cash account from any other debit card you currently have in your wallet.

Reactions: ecschwarz

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
You can use "Pay Early" to pay off any amount up to the amount you currently owe. Apple Cash is just another debit card so you can't take more from it than you currently have in that account. But you can use what you have in Apple Cash to pay on your card and fill in the rest from another debit card. Also, you can add funds to your Apple Cash account from any other debit card you currently have in your wallet.

Oh yeah, I get that—I'm just wondering if your Apple Card balance > Apple Cash amount you get the "split" payment option screen like when you're wanting to send someone more money than you have on Apple Cash and get to pick a backup funding source, or if you have to make sure to load more on Apple Cash before paying Apple Card (a small mechanics difference that I haven't seemed to find an answer on yet).

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
2 Major companies. Why would they just take your money willy nilly if you pay your bill correctly?

Well, screwups will happen... and IF/WHEN they do, I want to be the one making the decisions about how to respond. If THEY have the choice, the choice will invariably fall in their favor... I'm an old curmudgeon with a somewhat cynical view of how things work - more importantly, of how things can go wrong.

While they may not "take your money willy nilly", things may not always go according to Hoyle... and I'd prefer to be in control when that happens. No one gets access to my checking account, and I get to decide how much and to whom it gets paid out.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
While things generally do _work_ and there are measures for fraud protection, adding one little step or keeping things as consistent with other processes as possible makes sense. The "Pay Early" button on Apple Card seems to want to only pull from Apple Cash if you have a sufficient amount to cover it—no idea if you're over it, but I'm sure as time goes on, we'll see more reports during this first billing cycle.

Serious question: Your Apple Cash account is tied to your checking account, correct? Is there a built-in 'overdraft' feature included - meaning that if I try to send $50 from my Apple Cash account and the balance is only $25, will the transaction fail or will it pull the extra $25 from my connected account?

If no, then I see the scenario you stated working... but if it does pull the difference from the connected account, the risk/exposure is still there and the process offers no form of additional protection from fraud or error.

GeekyGrannie

macrumors regular
May 15, 2015
Oh yeah, I get that—I'm just wondering if your Apple Card balance > Apple Cash amount you get the "split" payment option screen like when you're wanting to send someone more money than you have on Apple Cash and get to pick a backup funding source, or if you have to make sure to load more on Apple Cash before paying Apple Card (a small mechanics difference that I haven't seemed to find an answer on yet).
You do not have to preload Apple Cash with the full amount. But if the amount you are trying to prepay exceeds your Apple Cash balance, all of your Apple Cash will be applied and the rest will come from the bank account you entered when you signed up for the card. If you have more than one of those, you can pick one. You also have the option to take the full amount from your bank account(s).

Cuerv0

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2019
OP. The way i do.. i load money into apple cash.. using a debit card from apple pay, there are no fees. That way also, my original bank gives me 1% back for using the debit card. Then pay apple card with apple cash. You can load up to $10k per week to apple cash.
I dont like giving my checking account to anyone.. not even apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.