MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Chinese smartphone maker Oppo appears to be preparing "Oppo Card" as a rival to Apple Card, following similar moves by Apple competitors Google, Samsung, and Huawei.

apple-card-feature2.jpg

According to Chinese trademark filings seen by DroidMaze, Oppo has filed to trademark "Oppo Card." The trademark is filed under international classifications, meaning that the company hopes to use the "Oppo Card" brand overseas.

Apple released the Apple Card in 2019 as a credit card that is linked to Apple Pay and built directly into the Wallet app. Apple is partnering with Goldman Sachs for the card, which is optimized for ‌Apple Pay‌ but will still work like a traditional credit card for all of your transactions. Apple Card also offers a number of features such as Daily Cash, spending tracking, purchase notifications, an engraved titanium physical card, and more.

Following the launch of Apple Card, leaked images showed that Google was developing its own physical and virtual debit card in partnership with banks in the United States, featuring the ability to add or remove funds from the card after connecting a bank account.

Google-Pay-Card.png

Last year, Samsung launched "Samsung Pay Card" in the captive market of the UK, where Apple Card is currently unavailable, with a comparable offering of cashback, instant spend notifications, and software integration. Huawei has also launched "Huawei Card," featuring a very similar model to Apple Card with a physical and virtual card, cashback, and other perks.

Given the increasing number of smart card options from major tech companies, it is likely that Oppo Card will seek to compete with cashback and software integrations, but little else is known about the finance product at this early stage.

Article Link: Apple Card Rumored to Face 'Oppo Card' Competitor

nwcs

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
OK, not A big deal. Whether through sponsorships or otherwise companies have tied themselves to credit cards. Even so, there isn’t that much special about them. Apple’s at least has some special iPhone integrations but, to me, that isn’t very interesting,

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Is Apple Card even a thing in China? And how could an American company compete against Chinese domestic company?

Comment

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
IDK. None of these cards have distracted me from Amex. I have yet to see the big deal of Apple Card, though I want to.
The only times I use my Apple Card is where I can either take advantage of 2% cash back for using Apple Pay or the 3% cash back on Aplle products. Other that that I use my Chase Freedom and or Quicksilver from capital one. I get 1.5% no matter what and a lot of times they have promos at different stores etc that like once they gave me a $10 statement credit ( Chase) just for paying a utility bill one month. Not worried because as soon as something clears it’s paid off so now outstanding balances on any of our cc’s

Comment

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
The only times I use my Apple Card is where I can either take advantage of 2% cash back for using Apple Pay or the 3% cash back on Aplle products. Other that that I use my Chase Freedom and or Quicksilver from capital one. I get 1.5% no matter what and a lot of times they have promos at different stores etc that like once they gave me a $10 statement credit ( Chase) just for paying a utility bill one month. Not worried because as soon as something clears it’s paid off so now outstanding balances on any of our cc’s
Similar for me. I actually only use my Apple Card for Apple purchases. Which doesn't amount to much each month (thinks like my Apple One subscription). I use my Citi Double Cash for almost everything else, since it's 2% on all purchases. Until a card beats that, I doubt much will change for me.

Reactions: One2Grift
Comment

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
One of the benefits of an Apple card is using it to pay for or finance other Apple products. Possibly could do that with a Samsung card (think appliances) but the rest? Nah.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.