Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clockworkz

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2018
Las Vegas
I’m interested to see how strict/lenient they will be in accepting people and also for credit increases. I like the 2% Apple Pay cash back they will give but like others have said this card would be a used case by case.

Reactions: Robert.Walter

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Omg....you can’t even be serious with the “key part in the country’s financial infrastructure”. What are you talking about?

My guess is that Goldman Sachs is the least established of all the options. This allows Apple to have the leverage in negotiations and get more favourable terms.

And for the long term, I won’t be surprised if Apple goes from simply having a credit card to playing a key part in the country’s financial infrastructure.

The people who underrate Apple do so to their own detriment.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
It impairs their ability to evaluate what Apple does in an objective light.

Of course there is nothing to lose from being wrong on the internet, so no one is going to be tarred and feathered if and when they mispredicted iPhone X sales based on misleading statements from Apple, or claiming the AirPods and Apple Watch would never take off.

However, what many critics don’t seem to get is this. At Apple product events, the takeaways often end up being related more to how Apple is setting the stage for the future. Certain announcements and features make much more sense when thinking about what Apple will likely unveil in the following years.

If people want to focus solely on how the rewards from an Apple Card don’t seem very fantastic compared to some other alternative, or dismiss it as the flailing of a company who has lost its vision, then that is really as far as the conversation goes.

So yes, like I said before countless times, one underrates Apple to their own detriment.

There’s always going to be critics. But in this case it’s a credit card. I don’t use Apple Pay. The physical card (as nice as it looks) is to be avoided. It’s not to my detriment if I don’t get one. However I know it’ll do great for Apple. That’s not to my detriment either.

Like the Mac Pro it just means I’m not the target. Maybe they’ll do a premium version later.

Reactions: MisterSavage

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
“Highly anticipated”? By who?

Just another credit card.

Why can’t people be excited about anything? What if someone buys a lot of stuff from Apple and really likes the concept of this card? We know there are hundreds of credit cards out there.

Let people enjoy things. There are several reasons why people want this card and it is definitely highly anticipated by many people.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
If there are no annual fees, I may give it a shot next time I buy a Mac. But right now, I get 2% cash back on ALL purchases, so it's a pass. I do like the security aspect of it, though.

Reactions: Rich2Putt

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Why did this take so long? It's another credit card not rocket science.

You realize that Goldman Sachs has never issued a credit card, nor has Apple aside from the Barclaycard which was all done through their app/website.

They’re probably testing things and also building hype.
[doublepost=1564144560][/doublepost]
Has there been anything said about which credit reporting agency they will use? I have my credit locked ( thanks Equifax ) to prevent any issues so I need to made sure to unlock the correct one during the approval process.

Transunion.
[doublepost=1564144718][/doublepost]
3% cash back is $30 for a $1k device. Not amazing savings but not overall bad.

Not bad for Apple employees who buy stuff for friends/family and put it on the Apple Card and just have those friends/family transfer them the cash......

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Omg....you can’t even be serious with the “key part in the country’s financial infrastructure”. What are you talking about?
Right now, I am seeing criticisms where Apple releasing a credit card is being compared to Facebook launching their own digital currency.

I think Apple currently sees an opportunity to improve the current financial system rather than replace it. Apple is clearly taking its time to learn about the space while relying on establishment players to both reduce risk and help improve product adoption. And when Apple possesses enough of the customer relationship, that's when they will likely take a more frontal approach.

I think there is no question that Apple is going to play a larger role in our financial affairs. I won't be surprised if Apple too does launch its own digital currency in the future, leaning heavily on its brand to foster trust and confidence over and above what the banking industry currently possesses (unlike Facebook, who is taking great pains to distance itself from Libra). Apple is probably just taking its time right now to observe the right wave to ride.
[doublepost=1564145264][/doublepost]
Why did this take so long? It's another credit card not rocket science.
Well, Citibank did pull out of negotiations with Apple at one point.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/28/gol...f-apple-card-on-fears-it-was-money-loser.html

Apple is pushing for quite a number of consumer-friendly features such as zero fees and an improved UI which would actually make it easier for users to avoid debt, all of which serve to reduce the profitability of such an endeavour.

But this also means that few were willing to take Apple up on their demands, which is why it took the time it did to find a partner willing to accede to those terms. Apple could have just added their logo to a generic credit card and called it a day. If anything, this ought to be music to the ears of anyone interested in said product. This actually implies that consumers can actually get a decent deal out of said product.

So again, I think people are focusing too much on a single metric (that 2% rebate) and not enough on all the other benefits said card brings.

Should I even be surprised at this point?

veth

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
I can't help but wonder if this Apple credit card will also replace the Apple financing Visa card offered from Barclaycards. It seems a logical extension.

Reactions: k1121j

Nullified

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2019
Amazing how people only seem to focus on its just a CCard or its average rewards.. personally id be interested in this even with no rewards... the security of it alone is all i care about. Ive had a waitress steal my card info before, with this i can hand it over at a restaurant and not worry about them copying the info. And i dont have to worry about using my card online or swiping at stores. I like the feature to get a new number at the press of a button.
Just seems more interesting to me than the rewards are.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
Apple Card is just another aspect to the subscription model companies are chasing after. Subscription based retail is the "Holy Grail" of monetizing your life. You don't own noth'n

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I still don’t think this is going to be a huge success if only for the reason that this card penalized frequent travelers and diners, who will need to use the physical card more oft than not.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I can't help but wonder if this Apple credit card will also replace the Apple financing Visa card offered from Barclaycards. It seems a logical extension.

No they’re keeping both and the Barclaycard was just changed to not include Apple Rewards so it’s just a “Financing Apple Card” with the 0% interest still.
[doublepost=1564146103][/doublepost]
Amazing how people only seem to focus on its just a CCard or its average rewards.. personally id be interested in this even with no rewards... the security of it alone is all i care about. Ive had a waitress steal my card info before, with this i can hand it over at a restaurant and not worry about them copying the info. And i dont have to worry about using my card online or swiping at stores. I like the feature to get a new number at the press of a button.

Everyone is so high and mighty on this forum and just automatically resorts to hating what Apple does instead of seeing the cool/unique benefits like what you just listed. It’s sad.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

Considering how easy it usually is to report and handle fraud on your credit card, most efficient credit card users would rather optimize their returns than worry about privacy.

To each their own though

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Apple Pay still isn't as widespread as Apple would like it, so that 2% isn't that great of a reward. 1% on everything else? Make it 2% every non-Apple Pay purchase, 5% Apple Pay, and 8% Apple purchases. Also, lack of authorized users sucks. I get the high credit limit with my superior credit score and then add my wife with her decent one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.