Apple Card Users Can Now Export Transactions to Use in Budgeting Apps

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When Apple Card launched last year, it didn't support importing transactions into various budgeting apps, which was a major negative for customers who use Quicken, YNAB, Lunch Money, Mint, and more.

As of today, though, Apple has a solution - an option to download a spreadsheet that has all Apple Card data, which can then be imported into many budgeting apps.

As outlined by TechCrunch, Apple Card users can follow these steps to access a document containing their monthly statements:
  • Open up the Wallet app.
  • Choose Apple Card.
  • Tap the "Card Balance" option.
  • Tap on a monthly statement.
  • Tap "Export Transactions."
The option to export transactions will show up when a monthly statement is available. The Apple Card transactions are exported in a Share Sheet format with a CSV document, but in the future, Apple also plans to add an OFX option.

Apple's newly added feature to download transaction data in a CSV format should be a welcome change for Apple Card users who use budgeting services that accept imports. Some apps, like Quicken, accept imports, but may need file format conversions prior to import. Quicken does not support CSV files, for example.

Apps that require API-level integration like Plaid or Co-pilot will still be unable to download Apple Card content, and there's no word from Apple on when and if support will arrive.

Article Link: Apple Card Users Can Now Export Transactions to Use in Budgeting Apps

matthew12

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
I still only see the PDF option, even after a reboot. I guess it hasn't rolled out fully yet. Or maybe an iOS update is coming today? That's ok though, just glad this exists for those who'll use it.

Reactions: DotCom2

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Cool, a lot of people have wanted this. But .ofx will also be welcomed. Hopefully it’s not too far behind. Never heard of Plaid or Co-pilot, I guess I’m out of the loop lol.

Last edited:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2009
Well at least it's something. Hopefully support for automatic import for things like Mint and YNAB will come someday. Until then it's still easier for me to do manually as I don't enter my transactions once a month. The card is not my primary card that i use so it's not much of a pain.
- - Post merged: - -

I still only see the PDF option, even after a reboot. I guess it hasn't rolled out fully yet. Or maybe an iOS update is coming today? That's ok though, just glad this exists for those who'll use it.
Same. My january statement isn't available yet though so it might come with that one.

Reactions: cecil444

AppleHealth

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2019
I would say I’m excited for it to come to the U.K. but, we haven’t even got Apple Pay Cash yet.
It’s very unfortunate that Apple is so focused on the US, we pay MORE for these products but get less 😅

Reactions: iGeek2019

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
According to these forums Apple are about to get a LOT more signups for this card considering this feature is what has stopped a lot of you from applying.

Next most wanted feature is an authorized user, which probably isn’t coming.
Agreed re: first paragraph. AU is coming according to Goldman. They mentioned it back when there was that dust up about spousal limits and the supposedly biased algorithm.

• Love
Reactions: newyorksole

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
So does this allow you to link your Apple Card account to services like Mint?

SpyHunter39

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
Utah
Not direct linking yet (that's the API part they say "there's no word from Apple on when and if support will arrive") but this would allow you to download them en mass and then upload them to something like Mint or YNAB en mass (so you don't have to enter them all manually, like I do currently)

SpyHunter39

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
Utah
Okay, after a few reboots and going in and out of wallet multiple times it's now showing up for me as well!

dvanwinkle

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
Ohio
This is a great step in the right direction! Hopefully they'll allow exports of the current month soon, as I'd get more use out of it. For those fellow YNABers, you can drag and drop the file into YNAB, but at least mine says no transactions to import. All of them were already entered and reconciled though, so that could be it.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I am waiting for this is as well. Mint classifies my payments to GSBANK as tax payments or something random so I have to fix them all the time. Looking around just now, MINT support says there is no import option so that's out. End result of this at the moment is zero change.

Reactions: DMinTX

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Not direct linking yet (that's the API part they say "there's no word from Apple on when and if support will arrive") but this would allow you to download them en mass and then upload them to something like Mint or YNAB en mass (so you don't have to enter them all manually, like I do currently)
I’ll wait for that. Everyone else does it not sure why Apple can’t/won’t.

konqerror

macrumors 68000
Dec 31, 2013
I would say I’m excited for it to come to the U.K. but, we haven’t even got Apple Pay Cash yet.
It’s very unfortunate that Apple is so focused on the US, we pay MORE for these products but get less 😅
This has been gone over before, the EU forces you to pay LESS for credit cards. The interchange rate, which is the amount banks take from the merchant to pay for free interest, fraud, account administration, etc. is capped at 0.2-0.3% by the EU. In the US, credit interchange rates are 2-3%. Thus there is far less incentive for companies to enter the EU credit card market, and when they do you won't see nearly as many benefits or rewards.

frumpy16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2008
It seems like the prioritized the wrong feature to me. This is very Un-Apple like to make people use a manual export/import to get their transactions into a tool like Personal Capital versus the “it just works” approach the direct connection would provide.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'm surprised Banktivity 7 wasn't listed in the list of popular budgeting apps.

This is very Un-Apple like to make people use a manual export/import to get their transactions into a tool
When people are used to automatic transaction import/export, needing to use a manual method fails.

Nice, keep it up Apple.
Do you use a budgeting app and do you typically manually import/export transactions ?

Apple had to do something but I think that they didn't go far enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: ep2002

Neepman

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
How about an exportable yearly spending report? Nutty to think they could roll out what is actually a high-end credit card without this feature.

Reactions: bladerunner88

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I want to be able to categorize purchases with personal categories. I had tons of issues trying to reconcile personal purchases with family purchases etc etc. Eventually you just lose track of what goes where and we try to reconcile things twice a month.

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
This has been gone over before, the EU forces you to pay LESS for credit cards. The interchange rate, which is the amount banks take from the merchant to pay for free interest, fraud, account administration, etc. is capped at 0.2-0.3% by the EU. In the US, credit interchange rates are 2-3%. Thus there is far less incentive for companies to enter the EU credit card market, and when they do you won't see nearly as many benefits or rewards.
Slightly going OT here but I feel like stores in the US don't like cards as much as in Europe because of this. There's definitely more in the way of minimums and surcharging happening here, for instance, not to mention that I'm pretty sure a lot of the remaining Apple Pay holdouts aren't supporting it precisely because of interchange fee issues. Or at the very least, aren't in a particular hurry to do so.

(Note: by "interchange fee issues", I mean certain cases where contactless/NFC transactions end up running over Visa or MC instead of a debit network, plus the possibility that people will prefer to use more expensive credit cards over debit or less expensive credit cards if contactless is available. Not that stores think that they'll have to pay Apple directly--although I'm sure there are at least a few that think that since "if the bank can afford to pay Apple for Apple Pay, they can reduce what they charge us by that much" and all.)

As for whether I'd take 100% Apple Pay acceptance in exchange for nuking all credit card rewards? I'm not really sure.