APPLE CARE + accidental damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dr Manhattan, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Dr Manhattan macrumors newbie

Dr Manhattan

What specific accidental damage does apple care plus cover? Anybody have any experience with that?

2. mikepro macrumors 6502

Pretty much anything, as long as they can read the serial number from inside if the phone won't power on.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You don't have to justify anything. Just note that they only give you two replacements under accidental damage.

After the second incident it does not matter how much Applecare+ you have left, the terminate it. At that point it's an Out of Warranty replacement.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

coverage doesn't just end after the second accidental incident. the phone is still covered under standard warranty for the full two years, and you still get telephone support.

5. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

and you need to pay $79 deductible which I believe before it was only$50

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Standard warranty is one year and does not cover accidental damage. Applecare+ does, but is superfluous during the first year under warranty for anything other than accidental damage. Your Applecare+ can end early because of accidental damage replacements while still in the first year making any other non-accidental damage still covered by the one year warranty.

All Applecare+ does is extend the warranty after the first year and includes accidental damage.

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Unless they changed that part, it was that the phone HAD to power on and work. When I talked to Apple to add it to my iPhone 5, they specifically explained that if it was catastrophic damage, it was not covered.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

let's say you go through your two accidental replacements and you're 13 months into the two year applecare+ period and all of a sudden your home button craps out. your phone is covered because you've got applecare+. you're not entitled to any more accidental replacements, sure, but you are still covered for standard warranty work. this lasts the full two years regardless of how many accidental replacements you've gone through.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Allright, so the coverage terminating is just the ADH then and not the entire Applecare+?

If so, then I misread the warranty document. Which makes me feel better.

Thanks!

10. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Ok applecare + I WANT IT but can I get it? I purchased my iPhone 5s on launch day but at Radio Shack and to be honest they never even said anything about it I seen on the apple website that you can still get it 30 days after purchase but does anyone know if it had to be purchased at an apple store.F.Y.I I do have my original receipt and all accessories and the 5s is in mint condition and could take it to the store but just dont wanna drive the hour there just to find out I cant get it so just checking to see if anyone knows for sure or actually has experience in the matter.

11. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Yes, you have 30 days from purchase. You must bring the phone to the Apple store. Don't really think you need receipt because they can look it up by SN but you might call to check first.

12. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

In their terms and conditions it states that the plan is considered as fulfilled after the second claim, i.e. no more :apple:+

13. funnyboy88 macrumors regular

I purchased AppleCare+ over the phone yesterday. They made me load up an iOS diagnostic on my 5s, I gave them by credit card number, and that was that.

14. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

I read it exactly as you did.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, that's what I thought!

I mean, by the time you've had two covered ADH incidents Apple is out the cost of two phones and you've only paid $100 ($160 now for new AC+ buyers).

16. g4manimac macrumors 6502

See this would be what I'm looking for because it would save me a lot of driving!Im sure the number is on the website ...and im off!

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

http://store.apple.com/us/product/APP_IPHONE_PLUS_AUTO-110480/applecare-for-iphone

Attached Files:

18. aneftp macrumors 68040

In my opinion, unless you like to carry your iPhone without a cover PLUS are careless, dropping it all the time, Apple Care plus accidental damage isn't worth it.

$99 plus $79 per incident. It's like $180 out of pocket vs. paying the new $279 out of warranty replacement. The chances of you breaking it again are slim unless you are recess again.

Insurance companies/plans are always payouts vs. premiums paid. They wouldn't offer insurance unless they were making a huge profit (unless they are AIG and than they were essentially be broke).

Most people have credit card extra year warranty. I've used it on my iPad. Paid $250 for replacement to Apple 6 months out of warranty (ipad 18 months old). And credit card company (after sending in Apple out of warranty receipt and original receipt). Credit card company credited me the entire $250 plus taxes within a week.

19. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I am a klutz and I don't use a case so for that reason I have AC+. That said, while I get what you are saying (and in the long rung it is cheaper) some people just cannot afford to go that route.

$49 or $79 for an ADH replacement is far cheaper than replacing outright and waiting to get paid back.

$200+ can buy a fair amount of groceries and some people only have good enough credit to qualify for debit cards, which is not the same as a bona fide credit card with buyer protection.

20. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

21. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Well, you have to add the insurance so you have paid $260. The OOW replacement cost is $275 for the 5S. So take a chance without insurance and have 1 ADH and you're out $15. If you're a clutz and have 2 accidents you are ahead of the game with AC.

You can also get Squaretrade for $89 and probably squeeze 2 1/2+ replacements out of what they allow (you would take it to Apple store and they reimburse the OOW charge). They have a $50 deductible.

----------

Always a refurb (unless they have none available like when they are just released) but the refurbs from Apple are usually as good or better than new.

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

Agreed. Everyone's situation is different especially access to credit card perks vs barely qualifying for debit cards.

23. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

I got it because I'm clumsy and I tend to drop the phone...ALOT. I have a case on it(Mophie) because I need extra battery life.

To me its just peace of mind. I take my phone with me when I go running and cycling(10+ hrs a week) so I don't want to worry about it getting damaged, etc.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, the terms and conditions state that only the section involving ADH will expire after two ADH "service events." The technical support and standard hardware service guarding against equipment failure is still in effect.

----------

THis completely ignores tjhe warranty portion of AppleCare+, and I can tell you that after a year of use, an iPhone is very likely to need some kind of service through equipment failure, be it a replacement battery or a dodgy home/sleep button. Smartphones in general get quite a bit of use and abuse, if you're keeping your phone for more than a year, or giving it to a friend or family after that first year as a hand-me-down, it definitely makes sense to get the extended coverage.

25. dazedxar macrumors member

Sorry to hijack the thread but do I need to purchase the phone from the Apple store itself to buy apple care?

Or I can purchase it with a phone bought from any store?