Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Do you guys plan to get? It is relatively expensive compared to getting one for MacBook Pro.

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I probably will, altough I think that I'm going to wait til the latter end of the 60 day deadline after I buy it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I bought an Apple Care+ for my last MacBook Air but it spoilt on the 4th year (logic board issue). :(

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Do you guys plan to get? It is relatively expensive compared to getting one for MacBook Pro.
We have discussed in the class about Apple Care. So if other types of insurances makes sense more or less(housing, car), apple care is useless. You still have the same coverage for 1 year without it. If there is something wrong, it will be broken in 1 year. If you have passed 1 year without a problem, then you are likely won't have a problem with it later on.
It is cheaper to deal with the problems without apple care in the long run.

Reactions: roncron

PrestoMovie

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
We have discussed in the class about Apple Care. So if other types of insurances makes sense more or less(housing, car), apple care is useless. You still have the same coverage for 1 year without it. If there is something wrong, it will be broken in 1 year. If you have passed 1 year without a problem, then you are likely won't have a problem with it later on.

Except you don’t have the same coverage. AppleCare+ for Mac covers accidental damage for the full three years. The regular one year warranty doesn’t. It also only gives you 90 days of phone support. After that, you have to turn to the Genius Bar for support. You also get priority when you call or chat with support over people that don’t have AppleCare+, and you can get sent a loaner device when you send yours out for repair. They don’t give out loaner devices unless you have AppleCare.

Maybe your class needs to brush up on what AppleCare+ actually covers.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I probably will, altough I think that I'm going to wait til the latter end of the 60 day deadline after I buy it.

That.

I'll probably get it, but the macbook air was an unexpected, unbudgeted expense this month. I'll get the applecare next month to spread the pain a little bit. I hadn't banked on apple putting out a 13" machine with working keyboard until june.

JamesGoodman

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2015

There is no other product on earth for which I buy an extended warranty. Not one. They are, by all accounts, worthless.

I NEVER DO NOT buy Apple Care. I buy it for my own MacBooks and I bought it for my kids' back when I was buying. I have recouped my money on virtually every single laptop I've owned. Not (until the Butterly keyboard at least, replaced twice, after the third failure the whole machine was replaced with the current model) because Apple makes horrible products but because these things are relatively delicate, complicated machines and I am a heavy heavy user and stuff happens. Not accidents, just endless use. Apple has replaced screens, keyboards, logic boards, ports, often without my even asking, all without making a fuss or trying to weasel out of their obligation. Once a son was having trouble with his USB port while he was in college. Two weeks before the end of the three year warranty: Apple fixed the port and just threw in a new keyboard and logic board for the hell of it. Maybe they were one piece in those days. I can't recall. At any rate, don't be penny wise and pound foolish: buy Apple Care.

CrashKC

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2020
I used to buy AppleCare on everything, going back to 2005. It has been a money loser for me over the years. But closer to break even on my iPhones. I use a minimal clear case on my iPhones and have dropped them on occasion. So having AppleCare has made me feel better.
But my iMacs and MacBooks, I no longer do. At the AppleCare price now for this MacBook, I would simply buy a new one.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have had Macs since 1986. I have never bought AppleCare and have never had a problem. My current Mac is a mid 2012 Retina MBP. Other than the battery getting weak it works fine. I will be purchasing either a 16" MBP or a 2020 Air when the stores open up again. I am considering Apple Care for the first time because of the quality issues that have occurred over the last couple of years. I feel I could shoulder any repairs bills from the money I have saved from not buying AppleCare over the last 30 years.

I worked at an Apple store for 10 years and saw people bring in machines for repair. Some had apple care some did not. Even then when Apple's machines were more reliable some people had issues. Major repairs are expensive. Getting Apple Care is a gamble. If you have to use it, its great. If not its wasted money.

I guess you have to ask yourself. "Do you feel lucky"

Reactions: Saturn007

JamesGoodman

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2015
For me the whole idea of insurance (from a good company, and on balance, Apple is a very good company) is to help nudge your luck along. but I acknowledge it is different for different people. As I said, Apple has repaid my apple care with generosity and convenience (the delivery of the shipping box, the quick return -- I've had computers returned so fast I thought there was some mistake and the broken one was returned to me) many times over. And since my laptop is my office, that means much to me. But as I also said, I am a very very very hard user. I don't have the time or work habits to baby the thing.

Reactions: Saturn007

brc21

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2013
Phoenix
This is terrible, terrible logic.

JamesGoodman

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2015
This is terrible, terrible logic.

I agree. There are some things that this logic applies to, but not in my experience laptops. Many people's keyboards worked for a year and had trouble the second and third years. Logic boards fail, on no schedule. Screens fail, or develop defects over time. Connections inside the machine fail. My son's logic board failed two weeks short of three years.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
I’ve spent over $1000 on Apple Care for various devices over the past 10-12 years. In total, this coverage has saved me the cost of a $250 out of pocket repair on one device.

I think I’ll pass this time.

Last edited:

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I don't buy Apple Care+.

Instead I make the purchase with a credit card that extends the manufacturer's warranty (doubles length of coverage up to a maximum of one year). Thus Apple's one-year warranty is now two.

And no, Apple Card does not offer this benefit.

I use an AMEX Blue Cash card for this specific benefit; I still get 1% cash back rewards. There are other cards that have a similar benefit including cards from other issuing banks.

This is a good example of why having just one card is not advantageous in every situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: calliex and roncron

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
Bought my MacBook Air in 2016 (I think). Also bought Apple Care, primarily for the telephone support. Looking to replace my MacBook. Having learned (a little) how to use the Mac, having found this forum, and having discovered a lot of help from YouTube tutorials, I will still probably get Apple Care for the telephone support.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
AppleCare has really paid off for me. I had a pre Touch Bar 15" MBP that started randomly shutting down about a month before its AppleCare expired. After a couple of repairs failed to fix the issue Apple gave me a brand new machine that was current at the time. I never buy AppleCare for my iPhone/iPad but for my main computer I find its a worthy investment and provides peace of mind.

Last edited:

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Even better, right, is buying Apple Care with a credit card that has extended warranty. Depending on your card's terms, the 3 years of coverage is now 4! That makes it even more worthwhile!

Quality control doesn’t seem to have slipped in the last decade with Apple laptops. If it were a desktop machine; it it was always babied; if the computer primarily stayed in one place and there are no animals or kids around; etc., then maybe not.

Oh, one other thing. MagSafe has saved my bacon several, even many, times over the years, but now, without it, there's all the more reason to go with Apple Care!

Reactions: calliex and roncron

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I don't buy Apple Care+.

Instead I make the purchase with a credit card that extends the manufacturer's warranty (doubles length of coverage up to a maximum of one year). Thus Apple's one-year warranty is now two.

And no, Apple Card does not offer this benefit.

I use an AMEX Blue Cash card for this specific benefit; I still get 1% cash back rewards. There are other cards that have a similar benefit including cards from other issuing banks.

This is a good example of why having just one card is not advantageous in every situation.

Many cards have dropped this benefit since last year. :(

Normally, I would have liked to buy AppleCare (not AC+, since I don't care for accidental damage coverage) at the end of the first year, but it looks like they have stopped offering that. :(

So now I will have to self-insure if I keep it beyond a year.

Reactions: calliex

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
I buy AppleCare for laptops. Generally I keep laptops a long time (5-6 years), so I like the peace of mind that the first three years are covered no matter what. Didn't have to use it once on my 2014 MB Pro, but did several times on the previous 2009 model I had. And now with little ones around, accidental damage is a very plausible scenario one of these days.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I buy AppleCare for laptops. Generally I keep laptops a long time (5-6 years), so I like the peace of mind that the first three years are covered no matter what. Didn't have to use it once on my 2014 MB Pro, but did several times on the previous 2009 model I had. And now with little ones around, accidental damage is a very plausible scenario one of these days.
There’s no option for AC now, only AC+. Difference — AC+ costs more, must be bought within 60 days, covers accidental damage (with copay).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.