Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

possiver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
I'm going to be buying my first Mac in the next 5 days and have a question about extended warranties. should I go with Apple care or Best buys Geeksquad? I'm shopping at Best buy as you can tell..

Thanks in advance.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
How are they a rip off? If you buy the warranty the day you buy a new Mac versus the last day of your 1 year limited warranty, there is no difference.
Let me reword that for you:

I would say neither as extended warranties are generally a rip-off. If, however, you do decide to purchase one you have up to one year after your purchase to get Apple Care so don't sweat it.

IChing

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Who repairs apple computers? Geek squad or apple?

Geek Squad coverage doesn't give you Apple telephone support, nor does it give you the right to have the Apple Store geniuses help you after the initial warranty has expired

you can get accidental damage coverage through home owner's or renter's insurance.

Kat King123

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
Let me reword that for you:

I would say neither as extended warranties are generally a rip-off. If, however, you do decide to purchase one you have up to one year after your purchase to get Apple Care so don't sweat it.

you didn't answer his question "how is it a rip off" when you have bad logic board thats 750 bucks out of your wallet, new display probably 300+ all hardware will fail its just a matter of time. To the OP get apple care i have had nothing but bad service from best buy. My Toshiba from awhile back once had an HD crash best buy fixed it "said" they backed my files to a CD when i looked at the CD there was only an empty folder titled"backup" to make matters worse the new HD they put in failed 3 weeks later. After bitching to them on the phone they eventually gave me a new computer all together but still to much of a hassle apple care all the way:D

CBAviator

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
Nederland
you didn't answer his question "how is it a rip off" when you have bad logic board thats 750 bucks out of your wallet, new display probably 300+ all hardware will fail its just a matter of time. To the OP get apple care i have had nothing but bad service from best buy. My Toshiba from awhile back once had an HD crash best buy fixed it "said" they backed my files to a CD when i looked at the CD there was only an empty folder titled"backup" to make matters worse the new HD they put in failed 3 weeks later. After bitching to them on the phone they eventually gave me a new computer all together but still to much of a hassle apple care all the way:D

I think what he is probably saying is...

Apple (just like insurance companies) have everything figured out in terms of profitability on laptops and the associated AppleCare. They probably aren't going to offer a warranty service that they lose money on. Are some people more prone to using it than others? Sure. Me? I always seem to find a way to "get my money's worth" out of the warranty, but I think it's a fair assumption to say that, on average, Apple spends less on repairs per user than the income they generate from its sales of AppleCare (therefore, appearing to be a ripoff to those that don't generally need/use the services). I could say that my healthcare insurance is a ripoff since I hardly every use it (but continue to pay)...the guy that visits the hospital every week might think differently though!

MikeyTree

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2007
It partially depends on whether there's an Apple store that's reasonably close to you.

If there's an Apple store in your area, then definitely get Applecare, even if the Bestbuy store is closer. Apple's telephone support is phenomenally good. I've never had any hardware problems, but when I had some software/OS problems, Applecare's phone support solved them, and were very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

As for whether you should buy it at all, it depends on how risk-averse you are, and how comfortable you are at finding solutions to problems on your own. It's basically a form of insurance, with added technical assistance.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Geek Squad coverage doesn't give you Apple telephone support, nor does it give you the right to have the Apple Store geniuses help you after the initial warranty has expired

you can get accidental damage coverage through home owner's or renter's insurance.

Geek Squad is the real rip off. Best Buy's extended warranty isn't half bad compared to Geek Squad. They tried to sucker my non-tech-savvy friend into paying $200 to "set-up" his new laptop and wireless router. Even though he's a complete tech novice, he set up the wireless router by himself w/o my help in about half an hour just by reading the manual. His laptop was a simple turn on the power button and uninstall the trialware/adware it comes with.

But that's for PCs, Macs don't even need the "uninstall..." part. Just power on.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Here are the questions to ask Best Buy.

1. Who does the service?
2. How long will you be without your computer in the event of a service issue that requires a repair? (You might want to get that part in writing)
3. What is the advantage of Best Buy's warranty over AppleCare?

To put it politely, my impressions of the Geek Squad are not all that favorable. At my local store, there is only one guy who knows Mac, and I know more than he does. If one of the other guys who THINKS he knows Macs ever touched my MBP, I would be furious.

My experience with BB sending out for repair is not favorable either. Granted it was an HP printer, but here's what happened. It sat on the shelf in their back room from Thursday until Monday. Then, it was 2 days in transit. Then, it was lost at the depot for 5 days. It was found, a guy looked at it and determined it could not be repaired. It sat for another 2 days. Then, BB called me to say I could pick out a new printer. Nothing comparable in stock in the store. Wait another week for shipping.

My latest experience with Apple. I needed a top case and keyboard replaced because it was pinching a cable. I took it in to the store, the Genius looked at it and determined the problem while I waited. While they ordered a part, I took my computer home. Genius called 3 days later to say bring the computer back, the part was in. While he was working on the computer, he discovered another problem, and apologized that it would not be done in the 4 hour window he promised. He needed to order another part. Because I was in the middle of a time sensitive multimedia project, the Genius pulled my hard drive out for me, I put it in an enclosure and continued working on my neighbor's Mac with my drive. The MBP was ready in 2 days and my project was completed on time. If I had Best Buy's warranty, I think that the results would have been much different.

I have always found the Apple phone support to be superior to any other out there, too. I don't often need it, but when software isn't working as I expect, their input has helped me on several occasions.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I paid $100.00 for my Apple Care from eBay and even if I never use it, it's well worth it. Knowing my Macbook is protected for 3 years makes me feel good. So many stories on here that logic boards going out, drives and other stuff and Apple Care fixing it is great.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
APPLECARE. It took best buy 3 months to replace my black macbook BATTERY (with the wrong color no less.) I kid you not. They are horrendous.

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Geek Squad doesn't fix anything...they send it off to Apple or an authorized repair center just like the Apple Store does. The people in the stores at either place are not the ones replacing your screens etc. The advantage I can see to Apple is you don't have to buy it right away and can anytime before the initial year expires...the advantage to Best Buy is they offer renewable coverage and you are not left out in the cold after 3 years if you have a lemon.

I had good and bad experiences with Best Buy service...I have had nothing but bad with Apple. In the end I think they are all the same though really.

mrtekkid

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2006
LMAO!! Apple care is a rip-off???

Apple care is the reason why I still have an Apple computer the second time around after they shipped me a faulty system.

The 8600 GPU in my system died over two times after the initial one year warranty was up. That's over $1,000 a pop. Right there is the cost of a new computer. Then I had some dead pixels and the screen had to be replaced. That was at least 800 something. My Magsafe also then failed to charge my computer. Also the kicker that made Apple replace my system was the IR port died right after I got it back after a GPU failure.

All in all, had I not had the extended apple care for $350 or whatever it is, I would be out over $3,000 had I tried to fix the crap system they sent me. I would have given up and gone back to Windows a looonnggg time ago with all the hassle those repairs were, not to mention gas to and from.

Luckily the new system appears to be running fine 6 months or so since I got it, the real test I guess will be in another 6 months after it would be out of the extended period. And yes, I bought the extended apple care again.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
LMAO!! Apple care is a rip-off???

Apple care is the reason why I still have an Apple computer the second time around after they shipped me a faulty system.

The 8600 GPU in my system died over two times after the initial one year warranty was up. That's over $1,000 a pop. Right there is the cost of a new computer. Then I had some dead pixels and the screen had to be replaced. That was at least 800 something. My Magsafe also then failed to charge my computer. Also the kicker that made Apple replace my system was the IR port died right after I got it back after a GPU failure.

All in all, had I not had the extended apple care for $350 or whatever it is, I would be out over $3,000 had I tried to fix the crap system they sent me. I would have given up and gone back to Windows a looonnggg time ago with all the hassle those repairs were, not to mention gas to and from.

Luckily the new system appears to be running fine 6 months or so since I got it, the real test I guess will be in another 6 months after it would be out of the extended period. And yes, I bought the extended apple care again.

What do you think the probability is of this kind of catastrophic failure happening? If you purchase your Mac with a credit card, you get automatic doubling of the original 1 year warranty so you are only getting the third year with your AppleCare. Factor in the probability of failure in the 3rd year (aren't Apples considered to be one of the more reliable makers?), the probable cost of repair and the value of you machine at that time and balance that out against the full cost of AppleCare. If you are of a nervous disposition and it brings you peace of mind then great, but don't think of it as a wise investment because the other side of the deal is making loads of money off of it and knows it isn't.

mrtekkid

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2006
What do you think the probability is of this kind of catastrophic failure happening? If you purchase your Mac with a credit card, you get automatic doubling of the original 1 year warranty so you are only getting the third year with your AppleCare. Factor in the probability of failure in the 3rd year (aren't Apples considered to be one of the more reliable makers?), the probable cost of repair and the value of you machine at that time and balance that out against the full cost of AppleCare. If you are of a nervous disposition and it brings you peace of mind then great, but don't think of it as a wise investment because the other side of the deal is making loads of money off of it and knows it isn't.

Unless Apple is not offering that deal to students or they have shafted my friends and myself who have bought Apple, we all purchased with a credit card and only got the initial one year. I convinced all of them to buy the extended and all of them have had at least one trip into the Genius for something after the one year was up.

In fact, my one friend got her mag safe replaced and her hard drive, which failed last week, replaced all free of charge. All of these things happened out of the initial one year time span. Regardless, if you think of the repair costs SHOULD something POSSIBLY happen, it's good to get the warranty just in case. It's like a health insurance for your computer. Hopefully you never need it, but it helps when you do.

In other words, I would rather spend the $350 on that in case something MAY go wrong then compared to not buying it and hoping that something never goes wrong and then pay $1,000 + for repairs later should something actually happen. I'll take the $350 warranty for something I may never use any day rather than playing Russian Roulette with my $2,500 investment.

I may just be a proponent of it though because the initial $350 saved me $3,000+ in the long run and Apple actually lost money with me than gained. :)

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Unless Apple is not offering that deal to students or they have shafted my friends and myself who have bought Apple, we all purchased with a credit card and only got the initial one year. I convinced all of them to buy the extended and all of them have had at least one trip into the Genius for something after the one year was up.
Apple has nothing to do with it. Its the CC company that gives the added protection. They know the risk is so small that it pays to offer it as an enticement to use the card rather than pay cash. Do we know more about this than the CC companies. I don't think so.

In fact, my one friend got her mag safe replaced and her hard drive, which failed last week, replaced all free of charge. All of these things happened out of the initial one year time span. Regardless, if you think of the repair costs SHOULD something POSSIBLY happen, it's good to get the warranty just in case. It's like a health insurance for your computer. Hopefully you never need it, but it helps when you do.

In other words, I would rather spend the $350 on that in case something MAY go wrong then compared to not buying it and hoping that something never goes wrong and then pay $1,000 + for repairs later should something actually happen. I'll take the $350 warranty for something I may never use any day rather than playing Russian Roulette with my $2,500 investment.

I may just be a proponent of it though because the initial $350 saved me $3,000+ in the long run and Apple actually lost money with me than gained. :)
Anecdotal evidence can't be substituted for hard facts. If this kind of thing happened to even 10% of all Apple users, Apple would be out of business. Your last sentence is very telling and probably accurate.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I would NOT buy from Best Buy. Apple really takes care of you from
my experience.

And use caution when buying on Ebay. Really look at the feedback.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Which Apple are you considering?

I would say Applecare between the two options. Reason being is that way you never have to go in Best Buy again or deal with the Death Squad.

Every product that I've had Applecare on has resulted in exemplary service.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

Would not recommend using homeowners insurance UNTIL you discuss your policy and the insurance providers policies as far as submitting claims.

Homeowners Insurance doesn't allow for unlimited claims.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I don't believe in extended warranties in general, but I always get AppleCare for my Macs. Laptops especially just aren't very reliable.

As an added benefit, some peripherals used with your Mac (mouse, keyboard, Airport Extreme, Time Machine) are included as part of the AppleCare on your Mac. Recently my wired keyboard went bad and I got a brand new replacement as part of the AppleCare on my MBP.

I would never buy any warranty form BB. Too many horror stories about getting them to honor it in a reasonable manner.

mrtekkid

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2006
Apple has nothing to do with it. Its the CC company that gives the added protection. They know the risk is so small that it pays to offer it as an enticement to use the card rather than pay cash. Do we know more about this than the CC companies. I don't think so.

Anecdotal evidence can't be substituted for hard facts. If this kind of thing happened to even 10% of all Apple users, Apple would be out of business. Your last sentence is very telling and probably accurate.

Very true. The majority of people will never take their computers in for a major repair yet alone several times. It's just kinda of ironic that as small as the numbers are for people who will have issues, I know a few of them.

However I am also of the school of 'nothing is perfect' and 'rather be safe than sorry' philosophy. Sure I may never need it, but will it help me sleep better at night knowing that if something goes wrong I'm not $**t out of luck with paying for it as a college student? Yes.

The last sentence is very accurate. They did lose money with me. The time on the phone with Apple people at their hotline, the parts for replacement, labor, and then ultimately a brand new machine to replace the last one. Theoretically that's over $5,000 or the cost of two of my laptops.

I also agree with RaceTripper. Normally I do not believe in extended warranties in general, but my Mac is a major investment and I cannot afford to get a new one or pay for repairs should anything go wrong with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.