Apple Care question about my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by meeks, Apr 17, 2008.

1. meeks macrumors regular

I have a MacBook Pro which I have been running with the lid closed on a 2nd LCD for about a week or so. I noticed the other day the front part is beginning to warp outwards along with the left side. I also noticed the power button tends to stick a little and the trackpad button makes a louder clicking noise than normal. I have Apple Care on this until 2009. My question is is it reasonable to take this into an Apple Store and have them look at it? I have attached a few pictures below to show you guy what I mean. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It's reasonable, if you didn't drop it... Did you drop it? It kind of looks like you did.

3. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

no it wasn't dropped. Im guessing it just got too hot and started to run away from the guts :). Also if it were dropped it would be dented inward and not outward.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

From what i've seen that case looks like its been dropped. Dropped MBP's do bend outwards, like above the expresscard area and latch area. Two people I know who admitted to dropping their MBPs to me have the same type of distortion.

giving you the benefit of the doubt, apple will probably not replace anything. Bottom case is not covered, and it is up to the tech's discretion to replace your top case (trackpad) based on how it sounds.

5. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

wait a second, the bottom case is not covered under apple care? i was under the assumption that the entire notebook from top to bottom was covered.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Nope. Something like distortion isnt covered. I believe it is considered damage from regular use/abuse. It is not an all inclusive warranty. Read the terms/conditions.

one guy came in who had a macbook had a broken clutch cover and top clamshell where the clutch connects. It was not covered.

edit: I just confirmed, it is not covered. (I have access to apple's service site. I work at a service center)

7. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

well i guess i will take it in and have them look at it. im sure they will fix the clicking trackpad. i can just hope they will fix the rest of it when it's apart. :D

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

That doesn't mean that you can't try your damndest to get it sorted, though. If mine looked like that and I knew 110% that it was a defect and not due to anything I'd done to it then I'd take it all the way :)

9. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

as i said, it is up to their discretion to do the trackpad.

one guy with an ibook came in and claimed that this trackpad was somehow different and he wanted it replaced before his warranty ended. I used it, another tech used it, and we couldnt find anything abnormal, but in the end we just ordered one for him.

i am not responsible for any opinions formed of you :)

10. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Everything is covered under warranty. The guy who said bottom case isn't covered doesn't have his facts straight.

To be honest, I had the same problem near the button. The button probably just catches on the top metal and deflects it outward over time. To fix it, I just took a plastic (so it doesn't scratch) knife and pushed it back in. It is not perfect, but its also not that big a deal. I'd imagine an Genius would do something similar, since otherwise the bottom case is fine.

For the trackpad, they might fix it, but most likely they will do nothing since the trackpad is perfectly functional.

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

please, tell me how i'm wrong and provide proof.

I cant legally take a screen grab of GSX (apple's service site). I have a MBP myself and attempted to make a service order for my own bottom case. Guess what, it says "Out of Warranty (No Coverage)"

...You can ask any apple genius.

12. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

i guess i will be making an appointment this weekend. i think i will have better luck talking to someone in person rather than calling apple and sending it in. most of the apple workers at my local store are younger kids anyways. :D

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

My MBP has done the same thing, near the latch release button at least. The small strip of aluminum warps outward whenever weight is put on the palmrests. Trying lightly pressing down on the palmrests and see if the strip moves outward.

I actually disassembled my machine to reform the warped strip. It eventually warped itself again. :rolleyes:

14. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

well I just got back from my local apple store and my macbook pro is out to be repaired. It's getting a new power button and tackpad, lcd hinge and bottom case due to the warping. The tech was extremely nice and was happy to issue a service request. I should have it back in less than a week according to them. Another great trip to the Apple Store :D

15. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Post like this give me hope.

Cheers

16. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

ill keep you updated as soon as the macbook pro is returned...

17. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

if youve ever seen the inside of the MBP, there are catching arms around the sides and front for the top keyboard cover to snap into. it looks like yours was not snapped into place at the factory or something, that would def cause all that!

18. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

well this is a first generation macbook pro. so ive had it since 2006. In a way I expect these sort of things to happen. Just like how I expected Apple to fix them since I bought Apple Care :)

19. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

I got an email from Apple today stating they received, repaired AND shipped my Macbook Pro back to me. I can't believe how fast that was. I should get it in a day or two and am over excited.

20. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

Fyi

The case is covered by Apple Care.

I had Powerbook that had some corrosion I took it and they cased the entire laptop.

No fuss.

21. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

Well I picked up the MacBook Pro today and it looks great! I would post pictures but we have all seen what they look like new so I didn't see a point. They replaced the entire case, LCD hinges, Keyboard and even the battery. I can't be more happy. It looks like I have a brand new laptop now. :D

22. mayassa macrumors regular

Maybe they just swapped out your hard drive:D Good to see they covered this flaw.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I went to Apple Store and they wouldn't fix this issue. Basically the adhesive is weak and that's why its bulges. It doesn't bother me much anymore.

24. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

I would take it back and try talking to someone else. The guy I talked to was under 30 I would say so maybe that had something to do with it. Either way If you have the same issue I did I would be right back in there asking them to take another look at it. I was very calm and polite and my issues were fixed without question. good luck!

25. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Happened to me when I still had my 1.83 Core Duo MacBook Pro, it would have been fixed had they not replaced my machine instead due to other problems.