Apple Care Revoked!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JamesGorman, Jan 27, 2011.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

As some of you may remember, I made a post a while back about how I purchased my new MacBook Pro and had found out that there was already 3 Years of Apple care on it. I called in, because I did not want to be left out in the cold later on. I spoke with a representative who said that I was still able to keep the Apple Care, and that there should be no further issues. I was also told that I would be receiving my "Certificate Of Coverage" in the mail in the coming weeks. Well almost 4 Months later, I have yet to receive my Certificate. I called apple today, and was informed that the reason I did not receive the certificate, was because my Apple Care has been revoked. They said I can still purchase it, and they may be able to give me a discount. But I'm a little bit angered at the fact that I was told I was able to keep it, and now they have removed it from me.

Heres a link to my previous thread for anyone that may have missed it :
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1043116&highlight=

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What is a "Certificate of coverage" ? In over 20 years of owning Macs I have never heard of such a thing.

3. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

gutted for ya - i remember your original post...

can you not speak to them nicely...???

4. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Maybe you've heard it referred to as Proof of Coverage, It's what the Apple Rep told me on the phone.
    Lol, I always speak in a respectful way to them. I was firm, but in no way was I not nice to them. May I ask why you assumed I was not speaking nicely to them?

5. Mangos86 macrumors member

Call them and politely let them know what happened and if they still refuse to barge, let them know you will contact the better business bureau and your congressman. Of course neither of those will do anything for you but it might be enough for them to just give you the coverage to shut you up.

6. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I talked to them already, The best they said they could do was give me $100.00 off. In all honesty, I was going to buy the apple care eventually, But when I found out that I already had it, and confirmed with apple that I was able to keep it, there was no reason for me to purchase it. I just wanted them to send me my Proof Of Coverage, and now this happens. Kind of sucks. I realize people make mistakes and that these things do happen from time to time. I would have been fine if they revoked it when I called 4 Months ago. But now, I only have 8 Months to buy the apple care, and Most importantly, I feel that they did not handle this in the correct manner.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

What's the point of that? I'd be a little upset but at the same time, I wouldn't be that angry that I would raise a big stink about it. OP didn't pay for the "free" AppleCare so he shouldn't really care that much that his MacBook Pro is no longer covered for whatever reason. Any further action, the OP is just fighting to try getting something for free and something he/she isn't entitled to.

Good for you OP for not making this into a bigger problem than it really is. Being on this forum for awhile now, there are a lot of people that would try to fight Apple just to get free things even though they're not entitled for it.

8. 184550 Guest

TBH, I'm not sure how you can be angered if you didn't pay for it in the first place. If you didn't get any proof of the initial Apple reps statement in the first place it sounds like you're SOL.

To me, it seems like an obvious error/ malfunction/ hiccup/ whatever.

9. JamesGorman, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011

JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I disagree with you. I never felt entitled to it, I feel ripped off that I was told by an apple rep that I was able to keep it, and now it has been revoked. Im not fighting for something I'm not entitled to, Im fighting for the simple fact, that they told me I was covered, and that they appreciated my honesty, only to turn around and remove it 4 Months after that fact.

Im just upset that when I called in 4 months ago they didn't revoke it at that time. Why did they wait 4 Months? The apple rep told me I was entitled to it, and that I would be receiving my Proof of coverage. She told me that when things like this happen they can not revoke it from the person it was applied to.

It's similar to if Best Buy or another company gave you a service, and than took back what they had done.

I work at a retailer here in canada, and I know that there is no way we could revoke any of our extended warranties even if we gave it by mistake. At that point, the company should take the hit for the mix up. Not the consumer. Especially when said consumer has approached the company about the mix up, and was told they are able to retain it.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Whatever it is, like the post above yours stated, I don't know how angry you can be. I guess it depends how you look at it. To me it's more of, "cool, I got free AppleCare" but now that it got revoked "oh well...". I'm not saying you shouldn't be angry but you shouldn't feel ripped off either. It was a mistake that the CSR mishandled badly. They should've, one, set the proper expectations or two, actually get in contact with Agreement Admin to really find out what the error is because the CSR doesn't know and cant guarantee anything.

11. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

Apple has always sent out a letter that has a coverage certificate inside.... it just looks like a letter with a chart of your serial number and applecare #

12. Daud macrumors regular

What is the reason it was "revoked" ? Is AC not transferable in Canada ? Or did the original owner buy a fake AC on eBay ? What was the stated reason ?

13. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

It was revoked because I did not purchase it. I was just on my machine when I bought it. I told apple about it previously and they said I could keep it. Now they have changed their minds and taken it back.

14. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Something here obviously dosent make sense. If the original rep said you would be getting it for free, they should have updated their system right away to reflect this fact. You should have followed up if you didn't receive notification of this after a few weeks, speaking to the rep who made this agreement with you.

Obviously, you werent entitled to anything at all from Apple. The Applecare was credited to your account in error. It is very expensive, so while your honestly is commendable, I don't think that would entitle you to free Applecare, but that is Apple's decision. I think $100 off a new warranty is a great deal, and you should be very happy to get that offer.:apple:

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I get them every time I register because I have to register over the phone in North Carolina. You can see a similar certificate or proof if you check your status online.
    Don't be so quick to discount what someone else is saying.

That is ***** ********. I'm sure you're also the guy that bitches to your state representative about not being able to afford your mortgage payment because you bought a house on this pipe dream that your interest rate would never go above what it was when the loan was given. I equate your comment to those people because that is what those people do. They always want something for nothing.

He has no right to the AC. He knew he didn't pay for it but got lucky. It almost sounds like he purchased a machine 2nd hand and the seller remembered the AC was on it and basically returned it for a prorated amount. The good thing is he is being adult about it and not going the route you apparently think is the right one.
    Hey weren't you MacBoobsPro at one time? :) Anyway, are you sure it wasn't that you bought a machine that had AC not knowing and the seller returned it? It seems odd that it would just randomly be revoked.

Either way, a $100 discount is better than nothing. It sucks but it's nice to see you're not bent over it.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I wasn't discounting anything- you were making an assumption; I was asking a question.

17. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

You didn't pay for it. You never had it. There is nothing to revoke.

I don't care what one rep said. Everyone makes errors including them.

The $100 off is a good gesture.

18. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

That sounds remarkably unique to Canada. In the USA, the only thing a vendor will hesitate to snatch right back out of your hands is half-eaten food.

That's pretty much it, in a nutshell. Done. Sorry that there was miscommunication, but take the $100 off if you are still thinking you need Apple Care.

19. JamesGorman, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011

JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I was never MacBoobsPro, and apparently the 100.00 Off is just the educational discount. Thats what the lady I talked to today said. I was never aware of an EDU discount on apple care though.
    Wrong. I did have it, for four months. Than they took it away, even after telling me I was able to keep it.

In all honesty, if any of you were in the same situation you too would be a bit angry. I was very honest with apple to begin with, and if they were going to remove the apple care, they should have done so there. Not 4 Months later when I had already been informed that I was able to keep the coverage. Everyone was quick to congratulate me for my honesty when I first purchased my MacBook in october, now everyone seems to think that I'm in the wrong.

EDIT : And just to let everyone know, This WAS A BRAND NEW MACBOOK PRO. I bought it from Best Buy. The first apple rep I spoke to told me that a person who had bought the apple care must have entered my serial number by mistake. Thus resulting in my Macbook receiving coverage, and his/hers not having. I was also informed at this time, that I will be able to keep the AC and no further issues should arise.

20. badcrc32 macrumors regular

imo

write a letter email to steve jobs and CC: every possible email combination he has. Write down who you talked to etc.

21. iLog.Genius, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No one thinks you're wrong. You were 100 percent right in notifying Apple that there was an error. All we're saying is that you shouldn't be mad or feel ripped off because they took something away that wasn't yours to begin with. If this was a case where you're past being eligible and now you're out of AppleCare then I would be mad but you said you were planning to purchase AppleCare anyway.

This is dumb. Why would you try to argue for something that isn't yours? There is no point in e-mailing Apple and complaining about this unless you really want something for free. If OP was affected in some way, I could understand but this situation has ZERO affect on OP. The computer works and is still eligible for AppleCare that he or she was going to purchase anyway. I can't see any rational person making a big fuss over this. Only a petty person would complain to Apple because there was an error and misinformation given that does not affect them negatively.

22. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Will this really do anything? Or is there even a chance?
    Im not really mad, I think in all fairness though, That if they were going to revoke it, they should have done so at first contact. Not tell me that I could keep it and than change their mind later on. In the end, I probably will purchase the AC, but as of right now, I want to exercise all my options and find out why I was told I could keep it, only to have it removed later on.

23. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Message from thread: It's an absolute sin to get anything for free.

24. tigress666 macrumors 68040

OP, I can understand you being annoyed.

It's a tease for them to let you think that you got lucky and that they don't mind and are going to let you keep it only to four months later take it away. I definitely wouldn't say it is good customer service. They should have just decided then to take it off rather than say they're going to go ahead and let OP have it and then later change their minds. They should have just decided to absorb the cost after already making one decision.

Even worse that they would not have even informed you if you had not checked. What happens if you assumed it was covered and it's past the year mark and you can't buy it either?

Honestly, Apple shouldn't say one thing then change their minds later. At this point I think he has a right to be a little upset even if he didn't pay for it. Though at least they are willing to make some concession (with the 100 dollar credit) to make up for their own mistake (mistake being telling him he gets to keep it then changing their mind).

On the other hand, I do think he may be SOL and I don't think he should go raising his voice about it (but I do think a polite inquiry about why he was told one thing only to have them do another is not out of order).

25. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I completely agree. It is bad customer service on two levels. First being that OP probably talked to a tier 1 CSR which basically guaranteed something that they have no knowledge of or have no authority to control. Second, the same CSR probably didn't even make an effort to contact the appropriate channel to investigate the problem. I'm pretty confident that if OP was allowed to speak to the right person, in this agreement admin, he or she would have been given AppleCare free of charge.

Again, good for OP for keeping his cool and actually looking at this rationally and not trying to look for free things from Apple which I think is absurd even if Apple did make the mistake. As a customer, I hope you do find out what really happened and if Apple gives you something for it, great if not at least you're still able to purchase AppleCare.