Apple Care, worths the money?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by diegobgr, Jul 26, 2010.

1. diegobgr macrumors 6502

Hi!

I'm starting to plan the buying of the iMac if it really gets updated tomorrow.

I can buy a 4 year Apple Care as the price of normal Apple Care, as an student.

Should I get it?

2. Dreamers5 macrumors newbie

why not build your own pc then install as mac as the orignal os system it be cheaper to do that than buy a mac btw build your own macs cost about 500 dollars tops

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You can usually get Applecare cheaper elsewhere but you can't get a 4 year plan. Assuming you plan on keeping the machine 4 years this sounds like a deal to me. Applecare has more than paid for itself on every machine I've bought it for.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would buy Apple care before your first year is up. Thats what I'll do. I bought my Macbook pro in July. By may of next year, I'll decide if I want Apple Care or not

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

For an iMac it is definitely worth it. I bought mine from BandH Photo for only $131 and now have three years coverage including phone support. If I sell the computer before the end of the three years AC goes with it making adding value and peace of mind for a buyer making it much easier to sell. Would you be more inclined to buy a aUsed computer with or without AC included?

6. mrob44 macrumors member

So, if I buy a new iMac, it comes with a year warranty. And so I could wait till a month before my one year is up and buy the 3-year AppleCare and technically get 4 full years under warranty? Is this correct?

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

NO. you can wait until the end of the first year to extend the warranty up to 3 years total time from purchase or registration date. There is no 4 year warranty available and if there was it would cost more since after year years things get old and the odds of a needed repair goes up a lot. 5 years would cost even more/yr for the same reasons, just like a car

8. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Buy Apple Care, it really does not matter if you do it day one or the last day of the year purchased, just buy it if you want to be covered.

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

There is no 4 year warranty from Apple.

Education discounts are terrific on Apple Care. IT is so much cheaper I would highly recommend it.

With a new computer you get 90 days phone support and 1 year computer warranty. With Apple Care you get 2 years and 9 months more of phone support and 2 additional years of computer warranty.

If you wait to purchase it I would make double sure you don't forget because after 1 year you can't purchase it from Apple.

I agree that searching for your topic first is the best option- I can't tell you how many times I (and many others) have typed the above info.