Apple Care

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by disco87, Mar 25, 2013.

1. disco87 macrumors newbie

Hi

I recently purchased a my first macbook, I have been thinking about getting Apple Care also, just incase. I did some research about it, am I right in thinking I do not need to buy it until my years warranty runs out and this should cover me for any replacement parts I might need up until then.

If I do it this way, I should have coverage for much longer, just not phone support which I can live with.

Thanks

2. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i'd highly recommend it, iv'e had laptops and imacs with high price repairs and replacements done to em for free all do to apple care.

3. aman20177 macrumors regular

Yes you're correct, make sure to purchase and register it before expiring. If you got a rMBP I would highly recommend it. As my logic board died and it would have cost me $2800NZD to replace if I didn't have warranty.

4. johnnyyt macrumors member

apple care warranty starts on the date of purchase of the laptop. so even if you wait til the very end of the first year, the warranty will still only be valid for the 2 years after the first year or 3 years from purchase date

in conclusion, apple care is technically only 2 years, not 3

5. GGJstudios, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you won't have coverage for any longer, just by delaying your AppleCare purchase. AppleCare extends the 1-year warranty coverage for 2 additional years. As the warranty start date is the original Mac purchase date, it makes no difference whether you buy AC in the first month, or the 11th month.

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • AppleCare follows the device, not the owner. When a Mac changes hands, the AppleCare coverage still applies to the computer. There is no need to "register" the new owner in order to receive coverage.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

6. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

do not buy apple care. These expensive machines are supposed to be good enough not to need it, with some exceptions, like the macbook retina. in that case, i suggest never ever to buy a macbook retina until they are good enough.

7. simsaladimbamba

Apple devices are mass produced, and just because they are more expensive than your crappy 500 USD notebook, does not mean, they cannot fail.

And how exactly do we know, when they are good enough? After three years?

8. maxosx macrumors 68020

Every time I buy a new Mac, I buy AppleCare without hesitation. There's many reasons why.

For me it's about convenience, knowing I can trust them if it must be repaired & in the event I never use it, I'd rather Apple profit from it than someone else.

9. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

A couple of things:

If you buy the MBP with an AMEX or Discover card you may get additional warranty protection through the CC company. Might be worth it to research it.

And if you buy Apple Care get it for about $100 USD cheaper at an authorized reseller like Portable One or B&H. No point in paying the Apple tax in this case.

10. maxosx macrumors 68020

I don't care who made it. Components fail, as they all can't be perfect. It's a mass produced product. If it does fail, that's usually no reflection on Apple, instead it's a component from a supplier.

If all high end products were perfect there'd be no need for warranties or repair facilities. That's never going to happen. Count on it.

11. disco87 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. simsaladimbamba

13. theBostonian Suspended

I see you're in the UK; bear in mind that under EU consumer law Apple is required to provide a warranty for two years, thus it may not be worth getting the AppleCare for just one more year.

14. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

apple care is an insurance kind of thing. by default, in the long term customer looses, the bank wins. Insurance your life, your house, your car. Now, the laptop... buy it if it's a retina. if you buy a defective thing, of course get teh apple care. but i would just solve the problem altogether and buy a laptop with no issues. Defects should apper before the 12 months. in europe warranty is by law, 24 months. in those 24 months it should cover any manufacturing defect.

15. disco87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help, at the moment I'm living outside of the UK so it makes sense for me to get it. I have to check how much the prices are in pounds so I can understand them.

Thanks again

16. Ccrew macrumors 68020

If we're referring to Macbooks, isn't it three years from original purchase date? 2 years would be the extension past original warranty.

17. B... macrumors 68000

B...

and he did say "extends the warantee..."

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's a 2 year extension of the original warranty, which starts on the Mac purchase date. So AppleCare expires 3 years from the original Mac purchase date, whether AppleCare is bought on the day of Mac purchase, or on the 364th day of Mac ownership.

19. ajanini macrumors member

ajanini

Is it valid worldwide?
    Say if I buy Aplle Care from B&H, while on a trip to the US, am I insured in Brazil?
    Thanks guys

20. aman20177 macrumors regular

AppleCare is valid where ever the machine is located. If this is a Macbook the country must have at least an Apple authorised service provider to be able to inspect the machine for any faults. But in terms of phone support its available everywhere.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, but the service options available may vary by country.

22. MrManwelo macrumors member

You only get one year cover in the UK as standard.

If you are a student (or can befriend a student) you should buy products from the uk apple education store as you get 2 years extra apple care free anyway (3 years in total with the 1 year standard)

23. theBostonian Suspended

The last time I checked the UK was in the EU, ergo EU consumer laws apply in the UK.

Google is your friend.

24. emptysoul macrumors regular

Same in Australia. You get a 2 year statutory warranty so the value of applecare is essentially halved yet costs $90 more. Complete rip off.

25. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

That's simply terrible advice.