Apple Care

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patdt13, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

I will be buying one of the new 13 inch MacBook Pros, and I was wondering if I should buy Apple Care? Is it worth the 200?

2. cababah macrumors 68000

Yes.

3. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Let's say you buy the Apple Care with your notebook today, and it doesn't break. Now let's say that in oh a little more than a year from now you decide you want to upgrade to a newer Apple notebook.

Did you just waste money on Apple Care??

No, because the old one is worth more in resale because it will have the remainder of the Apple Care.

When you buy Apple Care you help to increase its resale value.

I know when I sold my G5 Powermac, I got more for it than others did because I had 18 months of Apple Care left.

Notebooks are expensive to repair out of warranty.

4. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

For the combined (approx) 500$ it has saved me close to $3000 on my iBook and Macbook Pro during their respective "life".

An Apple Genius explained it to me when I bought my second laptop and was considering NOT getting it by saying something like, "Apple Care is one of those things that after 3 years if you've never used it you'll shrug your shoulders and say, 'Well it was only like 8$/month' but if it's something you've used you'll be incredibly thankful that you had it".

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Worth it? yes.

Necessary to buy it at the same time as your MBP? No, not really. You have a full year to delay your purchase of AppleCare.

6. gasport macrumors 6502

gasport

Yes, but buy it on Ebay. I purchased my last 2 AppleCare for the iMac and Macbook for less than half price. No problem with registering them with Apple. Just check the seller rating and read reviews. Really helps resale value.

7. Empr macrumors member

Can you use this to essentially extend your AppleCare by a year?
    i.e. If nothing goes wrong with your computer in the first year, wait till the last second to buy it and then be covered 3 more years.
    Or is something does go wrong in the first year, buy it then.

8. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

Always buy Applecare. I used it twice already. My super drive failed about year and a half after use and my logic board failed after two years. It saved me over $1000 in repair cost already.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Use the Search Feature or MRoogle.

I'd say in viewing the countless amount of these threads over the past couple of years:
    A. Almost everyone agrees that Apple Care is definitely a great needer for notebooks more then desktops
    B. About 7 to 8 out of 10 users recommend Apple Care
    C. Most people agree that buying it on eBay is the way to go. Check Here for More Info. And Here if you need to go on a scavenger hunt.

Free Present.

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

No it will not extend anything by delaying the purchase.

Apple Care extends the notebook warranty by 2 years. You are paying for an additional 2 years after the first year.

Apple Care extnends Phone Support beyond the initial 90 days.

Delaying the purchase only prevents you from using Phone Support from day 91 to day 365.

11. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I always wait till the end of the year prior to purchasing Apple Care. I find Apple support to be very good within the first year. For example my brand new MBP 13" is experiencing some serious issues with the battery and either the HD or the motherboard. Apple was very helpful on the phone and simply agreed to swap out the machine.

With previous purchases I have acquired Apple Care on eBay as it save you considerable amount of money.

12. Traeger2591 macrumors member

from what I've read it seems that apple care doesn't cover accidental damage. Is this true? For example, if I drop my laptop and crack the screen or spill a drink in the keyboard would that be covered under apple care?

13. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

It does not cover accidental damage at all.

14. mac afficionado macrumors newbie

You can only buy the applecare in the first year of use. Good luck registering an applecare you have bought after the first year of use.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Always buy AppleCare and then if you are purchasing at BestBuy, you can buy their accidental damage insurance and you are set....:cool::cool::cool:

16. Dueces macrumors newbie

Always, always, always buy Applecare off ebay, its usually 50% of what Apple charges.

17. djarpit macrumors regular

any reason why its so cheap?

18. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Nothing proved, but generated codes and/or stolen credit cards are most likely. Sometimes people have problems with AppleCare bought this way, there was pretty long thread here about such case. Obviously there are also honest resellers, but there's no way their prices are as much as 50% less.

19. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Nope. People who are used to support plans from other manufacturers often assume from the steep price of AppleCare that it's an all inclusive deal, but it's actually just an extension of the basic warranty. It doesn't include any sort of insurance, and bizarrely, no on-site repairs. You have to drag your computer to an Apple Store or Apple Premium Reseller, which is regrettable but acceptable if you have a MacBook but a pain in the A if you have a big iMac or Mac Pro.

I'm used to getting my PCs repaired in my home within 24 hrs after I make the phone call, but when my iMac broke down it took 3 weeks and 2 days for them to repair it.

The AppleCare Protection Plan should cost no more than $50 due to its general awfulness. Having said that, you should still buy it... the service may be horrible, but you're even worse off with no warranty at all for year 2-3.

20. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Wow, I didn't know you had a full year to decide on Apple care. Can someone else confirm this? I definitely want to buy Apple care, but if I can put it off for a little while that would help the pocket book. :D :confused: :apple:

21. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I have never heard of anyone getting a fake AppleCare on ebay that activated and was revoked.

22. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Sure, I can confirm it too. You have until the basic 1-year warranty runs out to buy the 2-year extension. The only difference is that if you buy it right away, you get 3 years worth of phone support. If you wait one year, the free phone support will expire after 90 days and it won't be free again until you've bought the AppleCare Protection Plan.

23. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

24. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

That seem to be an isolated case. 99% of the ppl who responded to that has had good experiences (me included). So I dont see much to worry if you buy from a reputed seller with a credit card.

25. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

That's true, most people are fine. Which is why it's still being sold.