Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I have never heard of anyone getting a fake AppleCare on ebay that activated and was revoked.
The one person cited here was enough to make me get one in a sealed box just to be sure.

If by chance you purchase a stolen code then Apple won't know it's stolen until somebody legitimately buys it and tries to register it (months down the road even). They of course will have the box to prove it's legit and you don't.

Dueces

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
The one person cited here was enough to make me get one in a sealed box just to be sure.

If by chance you purchase a stolen code then Apple won't know it's stolen until somebody legitimately buys it and tries to register it (months down the road even). They of course will have the box to prove it's legit and you don't.

So one person having a bad experience vs. the thousands who have had a good experience convinces you to spend twice as much?

Wow.

Watch out for the boogeyman.

If you aren't comfortable buying from ebay sellers such as this:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=480sherry

Then there really is no hope for you.

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
from what I've read it seems that apple care doesn't cover accidental damage. Is this true? For example, if I drop my laptop and crack the screen or spill a drink in the keyboard would that be covered under apple care?

it does not cover accidental damage, however it will cover damage's that are superficial, I had a problem with my original black macbook, the problem was with the superdrive and battery, but the entire case had damage to it(I caused it) and the genius bar people just went ahead and replaced the whole case, even though it clearly was wear and tear caused by the user, now i will admit i did get it fixed at the Apple Store in Beijing(China) and foreign apple stores are more likely to do this than their American counterparts, but they still fixed it, you can buy applecare up to a year after, i usually wait a year, but it is def recommended as i always have to have something replaced, and it saves a boatload of money in the long run

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
I had a client who purchased a Dell notebook once with a warranty that included accidental damage coverage and the usual parts/labour. His notebook was about $4k and the warranty was another $900. :eek:

Accidental is not covered by most warranty plans such as AppleCare, Best Buy/Future Shop PSP.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Sure, I can confirm it too. You have until the basic 1-year warranty runs out to buy the 2-year extension. The only difference is that if you buy it right away, you get 3 years worth of phone support. If you wait one year, the free phone support will expire after 90 days and it won't be free again until you've bought the AppleCare Protection Plan.

The phone support is never "free"; you're buying AppleCare for it remember. And I've never been denied phone support after my first 90 days (even on iPods), so I don't really think that's an issue.

--------

It's really just whether or not you want to make the investment; if you bought a computer on a credit card, it's likely your credit card company already offers a "double" warranty policy which includes accidental insurance. For example I know American Express doubles your warranty and offers accidental coverage, so your warranty is extended to 2 years automatically.

That said if you plan to replace your computer in a year or two, obviously AppleCare is not as appealing as it is. It is likely you'll never use the AppleCare and it may seem like a waste of money; you may have to do a dozen repairs and all of a sudden it's seems that the $350 is money well spent. For example, my father has AppleCare, but so far has never needed to have his computer repaired or even fixed in any way (*knock on wood*) while I've had to deal with a half a dozen repairs and 2 replacements. Also if you're likely to break your computer because you're usual to drops and other accidental damages, then consider insurance instead.

So it breaks down to how long you plan to keep your computer (whether or not you're reselling, giving it away, or putting it away), if you are a careful user (so weigh AppleCare vs. insurance), your method of payment.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
Always, always, always buy Applecare off ebay, its usually 50% of what Apple charges.

I was looking into this as i bought an extended warranty for my motorcycle through ebay.

But when I looked on ebay there were only 4 apple care plans, 3 were apple tv and 1 was the 15" pro and up.

There wasn't any for the 13" umb/ 13" mbp.

I'm about to upgrade to the 13" mbp and get a student discount making apple care $183 instead of $250. Are the odds of me being able to find one on ebay soon pretty good or should i purchase it at this discount price?

thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Dueces

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
I was looking into this as i bought an extended warranty for my motorcycle through ebay.

But when I looked on ebay there were only 4 apple care plans, 3 were apple tv and 1 was the 15" pro and up.

There wasn't any for the 13" umb/ 13" mbp.

I'm about to upgrade to the 13" mbp and get a student discount making apple care $183 instead of $250. Are the odds of me being able to find one on ebay soon pretty good or should i purchase it at this discount price?

thoughts anyone?

hanks

Here's an auction for $124

http://cgi.ebay.com/AppleCare-Macbo...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

T

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I had a client who purchased a Dell notebook once with a warranty that included accidental damage coverage and the usual parts/labour. His notebook was about $4k and the warranty was another $900
$900?!

On the Dell Precision notebook I'm typing on now, I have accidental+theft coverage, 3Y NBD CompleteCare on-site repairs, and Business Support. Here's how much I paid extra for that: $0.

The 3Y NDB warranty+support is included with the Precision computers, and the accidental+theft coverage and Business Support were thrown in by Dell's sales rep as deal sweeteners.

So when I bought the AppleCare PP for the iMac I thought, well, it's probably the same deal as the one I got from Dell, only better/faster. Ha! NOT.

miloquacious

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
very informative thread!

I just bought a new 15" pro this week and picked up applecare while I was there, but got the educational discount so came to $239, which I thought was a good deal till now.

I see it on amazon for $180.

mine is unopened so wonder if it's worth it to return and save some money. are all applecares the same (per model of course)? ex. applecare for MBP purchased a year ago can be used on a new MBP purchased today?

seems like yes is the obvious answer but just checking.

cheers

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
very informative thread!

I just bought a new 15" pro this week and picked up applecare while I was there, but got the educational discount so came to $239, which I thought was a good deal till now.

I see it on amazon for $180.

mine is unopened so wonder if it's worth it to return and save some money. are all applecares the same (per model of course)? ex. applecare for MBP purchased a year ago can be used on a new MBP purchased today?

seems like yes is the obvious answer but just checking.

cheers

The applecare from amazon is $269. You are looking at the wrong applecare for a macbook not the macbook pro.

RedWings

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Great thread.

I think i'm going to pick up one of those Apple Care packages off Ebay. Hell of a lot better than what Apple is offering.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
So one person having a bad experience vs. the thousands who have had a good experience convinces you to spend twice as much?
Who the hell said anything about paying more money for Applecare?

I bought mine from ebay just like a lot of people. The only difference was it came in a sealed box. Stop assuming all ebay sellers only sell codes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.