Auto Apple CarPlay.. Why does it suck so bad?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by audirs5, Apr 8, 2016.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

Just wanted to see if everyone had the same feelings, or if it's just me...

Example 1: audio from the GPS.. Sometimes its loud over the music, sometimes it won't lower the music so I can hear it

example 2: I have NO music playing.. But when the GPS kicks in to give me an audible message, the music starts playing from nothing

example 3: your messages are read to you. Period.. I GET the point of not being able to look down.. But, I CANT read my messages on the screen at all??? Or WORSE yet, why is it when I pick my phone up and open a message on my phone, the carplay starts playing the message

example 4: the car play MIRRORs everything I'm doing on my phone.. So, navigation goes away if I want to open a message.

I can go on a bit more.. But is it just me, or is there a fix or something here.

2. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

3. Beelzbub macrumors regular

I don't have any issues with CarPlay. I must be one of the few who like it. I recently went on a trip and used Apple Maps to get me to my destination and streamed music from TuneIn Radio the entire time (I use TuneIn all the time, bought the premium app years ago). As I got within 10 miles of an exit, my music would pause and Siri gave me directions of whats to come, and then the music would start back up. The same thing happened within 2 miles of my exit. As texts came in, I ignored most and replied to a couple, I did not need to read my texts, Siri did that for me. I also made a few phone calls. The directions were spot on, Siri even alerted me of traffic conditions as I was traveling (8 hour trip). There was even an Amber alert that came across CarPlay during my trip and it displayed on my screen. And when I took a different route Siri popped up on the screen telling me of a different route which would save a little time and gave me the option to go to it. CarPlay worked flawlessly as far as I'm concerned.

4. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

The only real problem I have with CarPlay is that Siri's voice is too quiet and there doesn't seem to be any way to change the volume for it.

I also wish apps could be rearranged and that Now Playing had a little icon on the side like Maps does when it's running, so I could switch back and forth easier.

Overall though, CarPlay is way better than any other Dashboard interface I've seen or used. It is a little buggy, in that sometimes the audio doesn't work, but simply unplugging it for a second gets it to work.

5. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

What cars do you have specifically? I'm wondering if it's more related to the car manufacturer implementation versus Apple Carplay itself.

6. Beelzbub macrumors regular

2016 Buick Regal

7. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

2016 camaro
    --- Post Merged, Apr 8, 2016 ---
    Car play works when you do nothing.. you set 1 address, don't interact with the phone (as u stated).... Period.. A few texts here and there, ok.. But once you start actually interacting with the phone the app sucks.

I can set an address and leave my phone for 8 hours and yea it will work.. But thats somewhat...Useless.
    And most of my texts can't be answered via voice because.. Well Siri sucks

8. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

The majority of my texts that are more than a couple of words I use the voice dictation for. As long as you enunciate clearly, it does a pretty damned good job.

9. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

So you want to interact with messages on the phone, while driving? That's sure what it sounds like, and it's incredibly dangerous, not to mention illegal most places. Why would you be interacting with the phone directly at all while driving? If you're stopped, why do you care if navigation disappears when you use something else on the phone?

10. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Another question is why haven't to forum mods created a dedicated CarPlay section?

11. rocat1997 macrumors regular

CarPlay does blow on GM vehicles. Siri rarely gets info right, it only displays the songs I've listened to most. I have to use the phone to find songs I don't listen to often. And yes the display changes. Apple has a long way to go to make this function work well.

12. Bladery macrumors 6502

It's funny what kind of cheap and backward cars you drive in America

13. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

You think so, huh?
    [​IMG]

14. danleon950410 macrumors regular

danleon950410

I know, right?
    There's nothing like running at full speed in my Porsche

What do you mean?
    Why would i lie about having Porsche?

You should take my word for it, people i don't even know in person. Therefore understand that my car is (and possibly i'm too) above yours. No serious reason, only that it has some issues with CarPlay.
    Have you checked its Coal Deposit?

...i admit i tend to post dumb and unrelated things but you give me hope
    --- Post Merged, Apr 9, 2016 ---
    I doubt it. I mean, it still can be possible but hey, its Apple we're talking about.
    They're hardly leaving this run out of their own car, so i'm sure the must make a ton of tests before approving it and compatile cars must have a hardware standard to use it.
    They aren't risking their software quality on that...

If the iPhone is needed all time, my bet would be on it

15. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Hmm, I wonder if there are any complaints with CarPlay on Honda vehicles?

16. Bladery macrumors 6502

Was just a stupid answer ;-)

Yeah you guys seem to have proper cats maybe but Americans in general...
    About the same with houses...

17. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

It would be nice to click my playlist from the carplay dash app and ACTUALLY be able to see my playlist. Not the app just ****ing pick a song and start playing!!! Oh, thats dangerous???

Because running into a radio station is the same crap!..

18. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

For me it starts and ends with "Hey Siri".

Whether or not anything happens after I say hey Siri is the the problem. Pretty inconsistent

19. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Based off these comments CarPlay doesn't seem that great yet.

Currently deciding between the 2017 Audi A4 and the MB C300 for my next lease. The A4 probably wouldn't even be a consideration if it didn't have CarPlay. Hmmm.

20. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

I've read reviews that if CarPlay is a big factor for your next vehicle purchase, you will be disappointed. They also mention you should go try it out first to see if it meets your expectations. It's not quite there yet but it's getting there is the gist of the reviews I have read.

21. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

The decision of your car is based on an APPLICATION?. Dude, you need serious help if that is the deciding factor. Sorry to be rude but no lol.

22. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Yeah, I ended up going with the C300. Hope they allow CarPlay to be added to older models once it is released, but I doubt it.

23. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I love CarPlay in my 2016 Golf R. The maps are great, i just push the map button on my way or back from work, it knows that' I'm mostly likely going to work or home and shows me the fastest route without touching a button.

Siri texting is great so you don't miss an important text.

It has completely revived me using iTunes and Apple Music in the car. Allowing me to launch Beats One with a few touches of a button.

It has really allowed me to stop looking at my phone at all in the car, and that's a good, safe, thing! It's not super complex because Apple wants to keep it simple to use and basic. I do with there were more developers writing apps for it.

24. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Well that's awful xenophobic to be criticizing our choice in cats.

25. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

works perfectly fine in my Honda Civic 2016