Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
of course it has. if you look at my post history, i've said that target date was WAY to premature. Its a car. Honda has been doing it for years and i've got a recall for a airbag with them.

Apple needs to take this super slow. i still think 2025-2030 is more reasonable.

That was my thought as well. I think it took them about 5 years from initial conception to the release of the first iPhone. Now people are saying it'll take the same amount of time for the Car? I can definitely see it taking a decade, unless they're partnering with an existing manufacturer (maybe along the lines of BMW and the i line of cars).

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
I'll keep walking for one more year until the Apple car is released. I haven't watched TV for the last 10 years, still waiting for an Apple TV which is actually a TV ;) Excuse my sarcasm, but keep in mind that there have been Apple rumored products that have never materialized. I am not holding my breath for the car. When and if it comes out I'll judge it on its merits. There is a big gamut of electric car choices and as time goes by it should be more difficult to ask for a lot more money for an electric car, the way Apple would like it to be to have a big margin. On the other hand, looking forward to see if there is enough innovation and differentiation to revolutionize this market. I'm not holding my breath though.

Reactions: Morgenland

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
"Tesla, meanwhile" is years late in delivering the Model S, and they've been manufacturing cars for some time now. Not easy stuff, this car building.

Meanwhile, these MR articles lack circumspection. It isn't Apple's rumored automotive project, it's "the Apple Car." It even has a name, just like the iSlate and the iWatch before it. A failure to learn from experience seems to be the issue.

Reactions: WigWag Workshop

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
why do i have the nagging feeling that old 'men's electric shaver' description of a lot of cars will aptly describe apple's foray into auto...?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
By the time the Apple Car is released, we all may be using flying vehicles.

On another note, technically, we don't have automobiles.

Automobile: from French, from auto- 'self' + mobile 'mobile.'
Basically, automobile refers to something that moves by itself.

So technically only people driving a Tesla (or other experimental vehicles) are really driving Automobiles.
The rest of us are the proud owners of a Motorized Carriage.

Reactions: gri

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Steve once said that Apple was a sinking ship and that it was his job to steer it in the right direction, yet I firmly believe that Tim is just making that hole at the bottom much much bigger.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I believe this. The last report when the executive left was that unrealistic deadlines by people that don't know what is involved in designing and building a car were being leveled on the team. Someone with experience leaving based on that is a dark sign of the road ahead for them. I'm waiting in the Tesla line.
There is a management philosophy that when you are looking at developing a blue ocean product, hiring red ocean people will hold you back with per-conceived concepts and practices.

They may have hired to milk him for stories and experience while throwing him out after the juiced were squeezed out. Steve Jobs did this with lots of industry hires when starting up the Mac.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Someone's beaten me to the comment about a rumoured postponed rumoured release date of a rumoured product, but what I NEED to know is whether there will be an Apple Car Edition made of solid gold.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
yeah 5 years is a bit much considering Tesla has been innovating at an amazing level. I feel like the big automakers are like Blackberry and Telsa is like Apple around the release of the iPhone. They were slow to adapt and are letting innovation pass them by. Their saving grace is really just that Teslas are currently so expensive that more people can't afford one and that they don't have mass production quite nailed yet. Once Tesla releases the model 3 and if they can get production to ramp up they could be a real force. To be honest, if I was Apple, I would strongly consider buying Tesla. Seems like they have right now what Apple is looking to have in 5 years if they are lucky. With all the money that companies waste on takeovers (HP buying Palm, Microsoft buying Nokia etc) seems like this would be an easier choice and Apple has the cash to do it even if it was a hostile takeover

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Does this mean we'll have to wait another year before Apple reassigns both of their engineers to do a Mac update?

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
They can barely keep their current product lines up to date and improving lol. When did Apple go from a few things done really well to trying to be like the Asian do everything tech conglomerates? Ready for my Apple Washer and Apple Refrigerator, maybe they can steal the couple from the Samsung ads for marketing.

daftpunker909

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
Vehicle turnover is slllllllooooooowwwwwwww. They have all the time in the world. Apple didn't miss an opportunity, Musky. By 2020, Tesla will still be precisely no where in terms of market share.

Yes and guess how many people will want to buy an Apple car after they already bought a Tesla (or any other electric car coming out by 2020)? Making this deadline is pretty important since it marks (a predicted) turning point for e-vehicles

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
of course it has. if you look at my post history, i've said that target date was WAY to premature. Its a car. Honda has been doing it for years and i've got a recall for a airbag with them.

Apple needs to take this super slow. i still think 2025-2030 is more reasonable.

Tesla formed in 2003. By 2008 they were shipping the Roadster, and by 2012 they were shipping the Model S. Based on everything the various key people at the company have said, it sounds to me like if they had the capital from the get-go, they could have shipping the Model S in 2007. Given it sounds like Apple has plenty of capital and has been hard at work on this for a year or two, it seems to me that 2018 or 2019 wouldn't be an unrealistic target.

---

Tesla just posted their plans for the next few years yesterday. The plans are:

1 - Ship the Model 3 next year.
2 - Unveil a Semi Truck and a Minibus next year.
3 - Sell their cars with rooftop solar and energy storage, so charging your car is completely free. Next year.
4 - Make their vehicles technically capable of being fully autonomous next year (and deploy the software as regulators approve of it - expected to be instantaneous in some places and to take years in others.)
5 - Allow your fully autonomously car to go and pick up and drop off people, paying you money for permission to use your car. Simultaneous with #4, as regulators approve of it in each region.
6 - Make a new Roadster, a compact SUV, and a pickup truck. No timeline on this.

By the time Apple ships their first car in 2021, it seems to me Tesla will have already finished the plans that they laid out yesterday. Tesla will have already flipped the entire terrestrial auto industry - there won't be much innovation left for Apple to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.