Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun offering bundles of 10 films for $10 on iTunes, to celebrate 10 years of movies being available on the store (via The Verge).

iTunes Movies is turning 10! 10-movie bundles for $10. (US)#iTunesMovies10https://t.co/lRNnrd294y pic.twitter.com/og5H1hKHEv - iTunes Movies (@iTunesMovies) 12 September 2016

For today only, titles from Warner Brothers, Universal, Paramount, Lionsgate, and Sony Pictures are available to U.S. customers for $9.99. The movies cover a range of genres, including titles like Pacific Rim, The Hangover, Twilight, No Country for Old Men, and The Hunger Games.

During Apple's "It's Showtime!" 2006 keynote - a whole year before the launch of the iPhone - Steve Jobs announced that films with "near-DVD image quality" would be available to download on the iTunes Movies store. On launch, only 75 films listed, all from Disney-owned studios. According to Apple's website, more than 85,000 feature-length movies are now available.

Article Link: Apple Celebrates 10 Years of iTunes Movies With $10 Movie Bundles

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Magic Mike (thrusting men), Sex in the City (Sex deprived women), 300 (hundreds of shirtless men) in the Warner Bros bundle OMG a suburban housewife's dream all for $10. Seriously this will sell.

Too bad you can pick 10 to create your own bundle from the mash-up of movies

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
None of these bundles jump out at me in particular, but considering $10 is less than iTunes typically charges for a single movie I imagine most people will find at least one bundle that may be worth it to them.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
I have $3...
6359792264965527802936850_6359098744226811921457052189_giphy.gif

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
The deals aren't bad. The movies are old, but they are all theatrical releases. My first thought was wow, old movies, now I'm wondering if the 10 movies represent one movie for each of the the last 10 years. Anyone have time to check that?

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Be nice if the UK gets this deal too.

If Apple treated all it's customers as well as it does it's USA ones, it would have a lot more sales worldwide.

Yep. The US even gets this huge FREE concert from Apple every year! Oh wait, that's in London...

Well... at least we get that "Lucky Bag" thing here around the new year... What? Nope, I forgot, that's in Japan.

Apple does lots of promotions all over the world. Get over it.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It's funny isn't it.
Despite years of buying films on BETA and VHS, a few LazerDiscs, then a resonable collection of DVD's and a couple of BluRays.
After all this time I've come to realize, it's mostly been a waste of time as re-watching the same film multiple times is something I THOUGHT I would do, rather than actually do.

I like the IDEA of being able to watch my movies again and again, but reality did not match what I thought, and I stil have things I bought, sealed in plastic.

Having Amazon Prime and Netflix, AND whatever I can find on terrestrial TV or the internet in general, the concept of paying money to own a single title now feels crazy to me.
I see a film I've watched on Amazon for example, and that if I did not have a PRIME account it would cost me £8 UK Pounds to watch. Not in a million years would I do that now.

£1 would be more than enough to stream a single film just once for me to watch these days.

If you have children, then I can understand you wanting Disney/cartoon collections as they love to re-watch those, and it may just be me or my age!, but all this buying movies these days with so much out there, and especially digital ownership you can't even sell on or give away to friends or charity when you are done with it, just seems an old past alien concept.

Stream what you want, when you want, that seems to be the obvious thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.