Apple Celebrates 10 Years of iTunes Movies With $10 Movie Bundles

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has begun offering bundles of 10 films for $10 on iTunes, to celebrate 10 years of movies being available on the store (via The Verge).

For today only, titles from Warner Brothers, Universal, Paramount, Lionsgate, and Sony Pictures are available to U.S. customers for $9.99. The movies cover a range of genres, including titles like Pacific Rim, The Hangover, Twilight, No Country for Old Men, and The Hunger Games.

During Apple's "It's Showtime!" 2006 keynote - a whole year before the launch of the iPhone - Steve Jobs announced that films with "near-DVD image quality" would be available to download on the iTunes Movies store. On launch, only 75 films listed, all from Disney-owned studios. According to Apple's website, more than 85,000 feature-length movies are now available.

Article Link: Apple Celebrates 10 Years of iTunes Movies With $10 Movie Bundles

2. sp3k0psv3t macrumors regular

sp3k0psv3t

What a great really great deal on some potential movie classics; 10 for 10!

Thanks Apple

3. iMatt. macrumors 6502

4. Supermule macrumors regular

Supermule

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

6. 1applerules1 macrumors regular

7. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

Magic Mike (thrusting men), Sex in the City (Sex deprived women), 300 (hundreds of shirtless men) in the Warner Bros bundle OMG a suburban housewife's dream all for $10. Seriously this will sell.

Too bad you can pick 10 to create your own bundle from the mash-up of movies

8. NotBruceJustWayne macrumors newbie

Based in the UK and can't find anything relating to this in iTunes :(

9. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Much better deal than those previously viewed dvd sales at Blockbuster.

10. Dal22 macrumors newbie

Same here... would be good to get some movie bundle love over the pond!

11. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Nothing for us down here in Aus either...

12. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Blame it on Brexit :)

13. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

None of these bundles jump out at me in particular, but considering $10 is less than iTunes typically charges for a single movie I imagine most people will find at least one bundle that may be worth it to them.

14. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

[​IMG]

15. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

If Apple treated all it's customers as well as it does it's USA ones, it would have a lot more sales worldwide.

16. 4jasontv macrumors 68000

The deals aren't bad. The movies are old, but they are all theatrical releases. My first thought was wow, old movies, now I'm wondering if the 10 movies represent one movie for each of the the last 10 years. Anyone have time to check that?

17. LaraCroft835 macrumors regular

LaraCroft835

Epic fail for the rest of us not living in the US, happy to have us Aussies fork out over a grand for basic iPhone7 but can't do us a deal on movies.

18. springsup macrumors 65816

springsup

Have you seen the regular iTunes movie prices? They don't really do good deals anywhere.

19. Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

Maybe it will happen when the UK movie store gets to 10 years; 4 June 2018 according to Wikipedia.

20. 2010mini macrumors 601

Superman Returns is on that list??? Why?

21. AppleInLVX macrumors 65816

AppleInLVX

Hear, hear!

22. friedmud macrumors 65816

Yep. The US even gets this huge FREE concert from Apple every year! Oh wait, that's in London...

Well... at least we get that "Lucky Bag" thing here around the new year... What? Nope, I forgot, that's in Japan.

Apple does lots of promotions all over the world. Get over it.

23. RedOrchestra Suspended

Standard Answer # 13 in the Cult of Apple handbook?

24. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

It's funny isn't it.
    Despite years of buying films on BETA and VHS, a few LazerDiscs, then a resonable collection of DVD's and a couple of BluRays.
    After all this time I've come to realize, it's mostly been a waste of time as re-watching the same film multiple times is something I THOUGHT I would do, rather than actually do.

I like the IDEA of being able to watch my movies again and again, but reality did not match what I thought, and I stil have things I bought, sealed in plastic.

Having Amazon Prime and Netflix, AND whatever I can find on terrestrial TV or the internet in general, the concept of paying money to own a single title now feels crazy to me.
    I see a film I've watched on Amazon for example, and that if I did not have a PRIME account it would cost me £8 UK Pounds to watch. Not in a million years would I do that now.

£1 would be more than enough to stream a single film just once for me to watch these days.

If you have children, then I can understand you wanting Disney/cartoon collections as they love to re-watch those, and it may just be me or my age!, but all this buying movies these days with so much out there, and especially digital ownership you can't even sell on or give away to friends or charity when you are done with it, just seems an old past alien concept.

Stream what you want, when you want, that seems to be the obvious thing.