Apple Celebrates 15th Anniversary of GarageBand This Sunday

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is celebrating the 15th anniversary of its popular music creation app GarageBand on Mac this upcoming Sunday, January 6.

[​IMG]

Apple says GarageBand, introduced at Macworld 2004 by its late co-founder Steve Jobs and musician John Mayer, has grown to be the most widely used music app in the world and is now on over one billion iPhones, iPads, and Macs globally.

Apple provided a timeline of significant GarageBand milestones, including the releases of iPhone and iPad versions in 2011:January 2004: GarageBand debuted at Macworld by Steve Jobs with John Mayer
    April 2005: NIN release "The Hand That Feeds" as GarageBand project file that fans can remix
    December 2005: T-Pain creates his first album,"Rappa Ternt Sanga" in GarageBand for Mac
    March 2007: Rihanna "Umbrella" built with GarageBand bundled drum loop "Vintage Funk Kit 03"
    March 2007: Fall Out Boy records "Thnks fr th Mmrs" in GarageBand for Mac
    November 2007: Duran Duran releases GarageBand version of "Nite-Runner" that fans can remix
    February 2008: Usher "Love in This Club" built with GarageBand bundled synth loop "Euro Hero Synth 02"
    February 2008: Ting Tings record "Great DJ" on GarageBand for Mac
    April 2008: Radiohead release "Nude" as GarageBand project file that fans can remix
    2008: "It Might Get Loud" documentary shows Edge from U2 using GarageBand on his laptop
    2009: Learn to Play and Artist Lessons announced on GarageBand for Mac
    May 2009: St. Vincent creates "Actor" album in GarageBand
    March 2011: GarageBand for iPad announced
    November 2011: GarageBand for iPhone announced
    October 2013: GarageBand 10 for Mac with new design announced
    August 2014: Haim records "My Song 5" in GarageBand
    June 2015: Marc Maron interviews President Obama in a podcast recorded in his garage using GarageBand for Mac
    January 2016: Live Loops feature added to GarageBand for iOS
    May 2016: GarageBand for Greater China announced with traditional Chinese instruments
    April 2017: Steve Lacey produces the Kendrick Lamar song "PRIDE" using GarageBand for iOSGarageBand is a free download on the Mac App Store and App Store for iOS devices.

Article Link: Apple Celebrates 15th Anniversary of GarageBand This Sunday

2. Unity451 macrumors member

Unity451

Me in 2004: Awesome! I'm going to use that all the time!
    Me in 2019: Whoa... is that thing even still on my computer?

3. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Genuine question: what's changed between then and now for you not want to use it? It's fast, stable, and has some really decent sounds.

4. now i see it macrumors 68030

Pretty much every app that Apple makes which is free is on every Mac & iOS device. Might as well celebrate "Notes" app as well.

5. Wobbly Chairs macrumors newbie

I used to use it (together with iWeb) to create and distribute podcasts. Since that was removed, I haven’t used it since.

6. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

GarageBand helps people make money?

7. anaudiopro macrumors 6502a

anaudiopro

If you were a musician you would know the answer to this.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Pretty sure they meant podcasts and the like, not using it as a DAW.

9. JimmyJimmyYam macrumors member

GarageBand is a truly awesome piece of software - there is nothing else like it (except of course, Logic Pro X, but GB is really Logic Pro X Lite these days). If you have aspirations to make music, it justifies the price of entry into the Mac ecosystem IMHO.

On the downside, it makes me worry what I will do when my 2015 MBP gives up the ghost - hopefully by then USB C audio interfaces will be plentiful, the emoji bar will be consigned to the dustbin of “interesting ideas that didn’t pan out”, and the design balance will have tipped back from thinness to power / versatility!

10. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Depends what music I suppose. For loops it’s really good but for audio recording, LPX’s loop record for me is worth £200 alone. After the visual dragging between takes and the auto crossfading, I couldn’t go back to anything else.

11. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502

DocMultimedia

A pity they didn't feel like maintaining Aperture. In a mere two years they could have done the 15th anniversary for it.

12. anaudiopro macrumors 6502a

anaudiopro

The answer to all of the above would be yes. It is a great tool like any other piece of software.

13. JimmyJimmyYam macrumors member

I wholeheartedly agree. I moved from GB to LPX a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back!!!

14. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

ok keep this on the downlow but lowkey i made all my music in garageband dont tell kim :oops:

15. Roscorito macrumors newbie

Roscorito

It always was Logic lite; Apple acquired Logic in 2002, released GarageBand in 2004. Same code base.

16. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I upgraded to Logic a while back and haven't really looked back either, but I love that Garageband exists and hope it sticks around in some form. Aside from being 'Logic lite/free' it's a great introduction to DAWs, the kind of app that made the mac so great in the 2000s, harnessing the creative potential of computing for ordinary people who might just want to try things out.

I still use the iPad version sometimes and then import rough ideas into Logic.

17. nvmls, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019

nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

Wonder what Mayer would think of today's Apple..

A good app for quick music composition & ideas (has great amp options for guitar), although Logic is what takes it to the next level.
    Many producers I know switched to Ableton long ago though.

Of course, Apple, with dongles..

18. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Well it looks like quite a few hit songs were recorded by stars even using bundle assets. I’m not sure Notes would be a good comparison. I’m sure the hate comes because there is nothing like this happening on Android.

19. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

GarageBand is one of the best apps on iPhone/iPad IMHO. Being able to jack my soundboard into my iPhone to make quick multitrack recordings with my band never ceases to put a smile on my face.

20. genovelle macrumors 6502a

GarageBand is was created to tap an entry level music market but provide some of the power of Logic. The is really no equal to this day for the Mac. Aperture was more like Logic than GarageBand in its placement. Adobe answered with Lightroom and demonstrated and committed to Apple that they would push that space forward on the Mac. That made Aperture unnecessary. Remember Apple has been a reluctant software developer. They do so out of necessity.

21. lunarworks macrumors 65816

If only Aperture made it to its 15th.

(Yes, its code base probably needed a complete overhaul like iPhoto did, but still...)

22. genovelle macrumors 6502a

I will say that logic is king but GB on Mac and GB on IOS are all different animals to me and music I create on each feels different somehow.

23. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I agree. Even just the touch interface on GB for iOS makes it a different tool. I quite like that about it. And the fact it's a little like iPhone/iPad cameras - it being mobile means you always have it with you. They all have their pros and cons I think, it's nice they all exist.

24. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

GarageBand is great. Not just for recording, but also for use as a simple virtual guitar amp. Fantastic tool.

25. otozuz macrumors regular

otozuz

I remember watching the presentation keynote 15 years ago (streamed through the old QuickTime Player) with my dad when I was 17 year-old and being super excited by it. In the following years I then recorded probably 150 songs/ideas with my Fender Strato :):):) So much fun.