Apple Celebrates 15th Anniversary of GarageBand This Sunday

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Musocat macrumors member

Musocat

GarageBand is what got me on to Macs. About a week before the announcement, I had bought one of those 4-track cassette recorders to make demos on. You know, the all-in-one decks where you could record a whopping 4 tracks... onto a cassette. lol. Anyway, when I heard about GB I checked out how much an iBook cost, and it wasn't much more than that 4-track cassette recorder cost. So I returned the 4-track and used the $ to get a 12" iBook G4, which came with GB. Typing this on a 13" MBP 15 years later :)

2. Soba macrumors regular

Soba

15 years later, I still think this was one of Apple's most effective product introductions, ever. It's fun to watch even now. (We miss you, Steve!)

3. UKinEK macrumors 6502

UKinEK

This is a purpose of GarageBand
    If you want more, it eases you into Logic Pro, comfortably.

To me GarageBand for iOS is the best iOS app ever, hands down.

And as for GarageBand for Mac, that software changed, musically , everything for me, in 2006.

https://m.soundcloud.com/a_horse_called_horse

A track called Green Tea was composed entirely on GarageBand, mastered and mixed on Logic Pro. Give it a listen :)

o

4. dysamoria macrumors 6502a

dysamoria

You can get adapters for whatever you’re connecting now. Thunderbolt to FireWire, USB-C to various others...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2019 ---
    You can get the touch element with Logic X and an iPad with the Logic Control app.

5. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Yeah, I know, and it’s cool to have, but in reality I rarely bother. I should probably use that more. Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

6. Be-1ne, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019

Be-1ne macrumors newbie

Be-1ne

The one really cool feature GarageBand had, which also really set it apart from other DAWs was the ability to create podcasts. Absolutely amazed they removed this feature and totally gutted. It was so useful. With the new surge in podcast creation as well it was another really poor decision by Apple.

7. Dissonance macrumors member

The timing was perfect for me, as I had just gotten my job as a music teacher and was building a music technology lab at my school. After a few years of struggling along with Cakewalk on Windows, I was able to convince my IT department that GarageBand offered something that could not be found on Windows, and they got me 22 iMacs. Five years later, there was still no comparable options, so they upgraded me to 22 newer iMacs. To this day, there is still nothing that compares. It’s really the ideal software for students learning music. Sounds great, looks great, easy to use, and powerful. Thanks, Apple!

8. anaudiopro macrumors 6502a

anaudiopro

9. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502

Vjosullivan

10. CPark98 macrumors member

Don't forget about stickies

11. adamjackson macrumors 68000

It was my 1st or 2nd keynote in person...can't remember since I've been to so many of them. Was a QT streamer before that.

Here are some photos I took....very low quality I was only 16 or 17 years old at the time so what do you expect :p

https://imgur.com/a/4lqBz5h

I added a few more in there of me meeting Rubinstein, Lasseter and Jobs

12. iGeek2014 macrumors 68020

Wish I was the slightest bit musical as it sits on my iMac unused... mind it’ll come in handy for making iPhone ring tones at some point.

13. otozuz macrumors regular

otozuz

Jeez man these are so cool :eek::cool::)

14. adamjackson macrumors 68000

Thanks! I however was not cool :p

I have a ton of photos over the years from Apple Events...most are just stuck in Photos for Mac. I really should do some sort of photo series at some point with a bit of editing.

15. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I just tried Garageband on iOS with bluetooth headphones... the lag is real, and makes it largely unusable IMHO. Which is really sad. I know you can use interfaces or adapters, but iPads and iPhones are mobile devices, and it seems a shame if they’ve ruined that aspect of it all to sell more Airpods.