Apple Censoring 'Jailbreak' in U.S. iTunes Store Listings [Update: Fixed]

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 17, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Exploring an observation initially made by iOS hacker @planetbeing, Shoutpedia notes that Apple has mysteriously begun censoring the word "jailbreak" in the U.S. iTunes Store. While not all mentions of the word are affected, the vast majority of them across all content types are currently being censored to "j*******k".

Apple has long objected to the jailbreaking process, which opens up iOS devices for installation of apps from non-Apple approved sources and other system tweaks. But it is unclear what the company is trying to achieve with its iTunes Store censoring, which affects such content as Thin Lizzy's song and album of that name and an episode of the The Roy Rogers Show from the early 1950s.

The censoring appears to only affect the U.S. iTunes Store at the present time, but it has been in effect for over eight hours now.

Update: The censoring appears to be inadvertent. Searches for 'jailbreak' on the Apple Store now return results without any asterisks.

Article Link: Apple Censoring 'Jailbreak' in U.S. iTunes Store Listings [Update: Fixed]
  2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
    Wow. That's pretty ridiculous. Will they censor the word android next?
  3. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Nov 8, 2008
    Florida, U.S.A.
    Here we go, a little Apple non-sense, and just before brunch...

So, is it now 'J*******k You!' going to replace :'[F word] You!' ?
  4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Apr 10, 2007
    That's funny.

And, by the way, a great Thin Lizzy song.
  5. buddda macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2011
    This is going to garner some sweet free publicity for Thin Lizzy!
  6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Oct 4, 2007
    A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
  7. Dewroo macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Tilton, NH.
    they should stop that. they are going to get into heaps of trouble. oi.
  8. coder12 macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2010
    What's the point of this? It's not like I walk down the street, flip the bird to someone and yell "j*******k you!" to people.

While we're at it, I'm going to go j*******k myself.
  9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, TX
  10. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2009
    My guess is that they probably meant to limit this is APPS but inadvertently applied the censor to music as well. Now I'm wondering about movies and TV.

11. coder12 macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2010
    Ahh, ya beat me to it!
  12. pgifford macrumors member

Apr 18, 2008
    St. Louis
    Doesn't doing that just bring more attention to it?
  13. subsonix macrumors 68040

Feb 2, 2008
    My guess is that some automated process is the cause of this, not someone deliberately censoring the word in Thin Lizzys album title.
  14. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

Apr 13, 2010
    Into the lungs of Hell
    It looks like they will censor anything they don't like.
  15. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2008
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that executives at Apple did not sit around a table and say "let's remove every instance of the word "jailbreak" from the Apple store including classic songs because that makes perfect sense to do" but instead they didn't want it to appear in any instance like a tutorial podcast or app that might show someone how to jailbreak and it censored more than what was intended.
  16. Blipp macrumors 6502

Mar 14, 2011

What exactly does this accomplish? Are there jailbreak podcasts available on iTunes or something? I just don't understand this.
  17. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Censored for the Deluxe Edition but not the regular one?

Attached Files:

18. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Mar 20, 2004
    Not far from Boston, MA.
    Duh, this is clearly the Law of Unintended Consequences at work. Whatever the actual intent of this was, obviously song titles were not it.
  19. charlituna macrumors G3

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's most likely a computerized system. Probably has a log of all the instances and someone will be going through that list and fixing the 'bad' hits. Already this morning if you go to the Thin Lizzy album the title and the song title are fine in their info page. So someone is probably already at work on that log. Then they will refresh the indexes to remove the issue from the search screens etc.

A momentarily hiccup that really isn't worth the hyperbolic posting that Apple is some big bad etc

Oh wait, it's an Apple post, and a Diss Apple post. That gets page hits. So yeah, I guess it is worth it to post about.
  20. TheSlush macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2007
    New York, NY
    Must be a technical mistake, meant to be for app titles and not other content. To be corrected soon, I'm sure.
  21. Thunderhawks Suspended

Feb 17, 2009
    Still dumb and nitpicking.

From the I have my panties in a twist boardroom meeting.

Can't believe it's even worth a discussion.

Come on Apple, watch and work on important stuff.
  22. markcres macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2006
    It doesn't conform to Apple New-speak rules (see Orwell's 1984 for details)