Apple CEO Tim Cook: Apple's 'Ecosystem Has Never Been Stronger' and Long-Term Health Has 'Never Been Better'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook will appear on CNBC's "Mad Money" show this evening, where he will speak with host Jim Cramer, and ahead of the interview, CNBC has shared some of what was discussed.

The topic was, of course, Apple's recent guidance downgrade, where Cook said that factors like poor sales in China, a strong U.S. dollar, and cheap battery replacements impacted Q1 2019 earnings.

[​IMG]

According to Cook, Apple's ecosystem of devices and services is "probably underappreciated" by naysayers, which is something that he's heard over and over again over the years.
    Cook went on to say that he wasn't surprised at the drop in Apple stock following the news, because the market is "quite emotional in the short term." Cook says that Apple "looks through all of that" and focuses more on the longer term.

Apple's long-term health has "never been better," the product pipeline has "never been better" and the "ecosystem has never been stronger," especially when it comes to services, according to Cook.

Cook's full interview on "Mad Money" with further commentary on Apple's upcoming earnings is set to air tonight at 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook: Apple's 'Ecosystem Has Never Been Stronger' and Long-Term Health Has 'Never Been Better'

2. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Products should always be better each iteration, but that doesn’t mean they are enticing.

3. bigboyz12000 macrumors member

bigboyz12000

I don't know too many CEO's that go on record saying business is down even when business is down. With that being said, I can appreciate some of his remarks. Yet, the iPhone is getting heavier and more expensive by the year. I just want an affordable, sexy, awesome phone that does not cost a monthly mortgage payment hehe.

4. HiVolt macrumors 6502

HiVolt

Meh, I'll pass on another strictly scripted/controlled "damage control" interview.

5. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Apple will be fine, but you can't really tell that by that empty ass store in the picture. I'd love for either of our Apple stores to EVER be anywhere close to this empty. lol.

6. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

Not to come off too negative, but I never bother watching these "interviews." Just about as scripted as their keynotes, though they get another opportunity to promote whatever political / SJW trending topic.

7. Bustycat macrumors regular

Bustycat

He forgot saying Apple’s product prices have never been cheaper.;)

8. Naraxus, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

“Culture of innovation”? Just stop Tim. You haven’t given a DAMN about innovating anything in years. You’ve been coasting on your predecossor’s legacy and it’s showing.

“I’m not being defensive...”

There was a time when Apple’s products stood for themselves but more and more Tim you’ve been sending your minions out to do damage control. The sooner you are removed from Apple the better off the company will be.

9. phoneme macrumors regular

like tim said "This is America and you can say what you want" so he can say whatever he wants but the numbers and stats don't lie. they are not better.

10. thadoggfather, Jan 8, 2019

thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I'm so over these puff piece tv interviews that are staged as 'hard hitting'

Why doesnt any 'brave' journalist ask if Tim thinks the pricing model is whack as hell?

I think watching paint dry is more exciting than watching Tim speak in hyperbolic terms and gaze off in the distance.

11. OneBagTravel, Jan 8, 2019

OneBagTravel macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel

12. weup togo macrumors 6502

Apple made it through the 2000-2003 downturn without any cost-cutting layoffs, because SJ cared deeply about that. We will know how sick Apple truly is when they have a layoff.

13. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Its quite something to think that they have an entire Apple Store just to be a set for TV interviews.

14. rmoliv, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

rmoliv macrumors 6502a

He always says that. Won’t even bother to read.

15. HacKage macrumors 6502

These TV interviews that Cook comes out and does every so often to defend the company for one reason or another feels exactly like Theresa May coming out every couple of weeks to say the exact same crap while everyone knows Brexit is happening in the background and it's going to be a disaster. It would be best if he, and her just shut up and listed to what people are saying and act on it.

They both have the leadership of a supply teacher in high school. Placeholders, nothing more.

16. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

It's pretty hard to think long-term if Apple is so secretive. Not that sharing all their plans is a good idea, but I get why people wouldn't believe him. What's next after iPhone? When is AirPower coming? Nobody knows.

17. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

18. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Apple's stock is valued like a blue chip, so when revenues go down the stock drops. It's all about what Apple can provide now, rather than what they might do in the future. Rather than being truly innovative, they can find new ways to remain a steady blue chip (like "services" which is just a copy of many other companies' existing businesses).

If investors thought Apple were innovative, the P/E ratio would have been far higher even before the recent news.

19. justiny Contributor

justiny

Tim’s correct on the naysayers regarding Apple’s ecosystem. Android can’t come close.

But his “never been better” and “never been stronger” reeks of as much condescension as their continued raising prices and lacking innovation. And I say this as an Apple shareholder.

20. AngerDanger, Jan 8, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I like how the chairs they're in make it look like they're planning on removing them in post, so they float for the whole interview.

[​IMG]

21. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Cosmosent

ALL I want to know is if the AAPL Board has asked Cook to RE-sign ???

And if NOT, why NOT ???

ALL the signs (for a Mgmt change) are there !

22. jardinager macrumors regular

jardinager

23. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

"Apple's long-term health has "never been better," the product pipeline has "never been better" and the "ecosystem has never been stronger," especially when it comes to services, according to Cook."

Ahhh.... never. Repeated thrice.

[never : not in any degree : not under any condition]​

Tone down the superlatives and get back to letting the products to speak for themselves.
    Good outcomes will follow.

Just my view.

24. bigchief macrumors 6502a

The year after year higher premium prices for their phones are starting to slow down their sales. I love their products but the majority of the people cannot or just will not upgrade every year or even every other year. My iPhone x is still like a new phone and I have no intention of buying a new one any time soon.