Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook is partnering up with Charitybuzz for the fifth year in a row, offering Apple fans the chance to bid on a lunch with Cook where they can hold a discussion with the CEO in a private environment. Additionally, this year the meet-up will be hosted at Apple's brand new Apple Park campus.

Like previous years, the winning bidder will be able to bring along one other person, and the lunch is said to last for around an hour. The cost of the Apple Park meal is included in the winning bid, but travel and accommodations are not. The bidding ends on May 16 at 3PM EDT and as of writing one bid of $10,000 has been entered, with the auction listing an estimated value of $100,000.

tim-cook-lunch-3.jpg

Over the past four years, Tim Cook and Charitybuzz have raised $610,000 (2013), $330,001 (2014), $200,000 (2015), and $515,000 (2016). This year will mark the first year that the winning bidder attends the lunch at Apple Park, which a small number of employees are believed to have moved into in April while construction remains ongoing.

Proceeds from the auction will be donated to the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights, which aims to achieve a just and peaceful world by advancing corporate responsibility, teaching social justice, and partnering with human rights leaders. Cook joined the RFK Center's board of directors last year after being a longtime supporter and proponent of the charity.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Auctions Charity Lunch at Apple Park

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
If they ever make a Tim Cook biopic, I hope they get Neil Cicierega to play the lead role.

Last edited:

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Seems crazy but with an ounce of effort one quickly sees how if you're going to give a big chunk of money away to charity anyway, send it this way and get a free sandwich. Oh, and hang out with Tim Cook.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
All the questions I'd ask him he couldn't answer so we'd talk about the weather I guess. Still, good that it's benefiting a nice charity.
Ask him, why his company spends the lowest rate on charity, %-wise.
I have no time to lunch with the greatest penny-pincher in the world

BTW More sincere, and NOT always about money:
MacRumors 2017 Blood Drive

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Really, while I am sure the auction will raise a lot of money, the assumption this experience is worth $100,000 just shows how completely out of touch with reality these CEO's and companies are these days.

Just put on the auction, but get rid of the arrogance of assuming some ridiculous value for this experience. Better yet, just donate 1 billion to charity considering Apple is sitting on $250 billion in cash reserves.

B.K.

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2014
Really, while I am sure the auction will raise a lot of money, the assumption this experience is worth $100,000 just shows how completely out of touch with reality these CEO's and companies are these days.

Just put on the auction, but get rid of the arrogance of assuming some ridiculous value for this experience. Better yet, just donate 1 billion to charity considering Apple is sitting on $250 billion in cash reserves.

"Over the past four years, Tim Cook and Charitybuzz have raised $610,000 (2013), $330,001 (2014), $200,000 (2015), and $515,000 (2016)."

Looks like it is worth plenty more than that to at least 4 people.

Reactions: bozzwell61

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
If I had thousands and thousands in pocket change to donate for this I would show up to the lunch with a Razer Blade, put it in front of Tim, shake my head, and walk away. If a company like Razer can make the Blade (and sell it like hot cakes) Apple has no excuse.

Last edited:

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
Please ask when is Apple going to make their personal computers serious business? If you win.. :)

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
K Five Guys sounds good, I'll have a bacon cheeseburger with fries, beverage water cause of my diet...

*glances watch health app*

..and you Mr. Cook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.