Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Really, while I am sure the auction will raise a lot of money, the assumption this experience is worth $100,000 just shows how completely out of touch with reality these CEO's and companies are these days.

Just put on the auction, but get rid of the arrogance of assuming some ridiculous value for this experience. Better yet, just donate 1 billion to charity considering Apple is sitting on $250 billion in cash reserves.
It's not that Tim Cook is saying, "having lunch with me is worth $100K", I'm not sure whether you're setting that up as a strawman. People don't pay that kind of money as a "fair purchase price" for a bit of Tim's time, they do it because it's for a good cause. It's not arrogance. It's the folks running the auction who are saying, "we've seen these kinds of items going for prices in that ballpark in the past". Apple donating 1 billion to charity would likely raise serious complaints from stockholders. And neither you nor I know how much Tim Cook donates personally to charity, he doesn't exactly announce it.
[doublepost=1493748028][/doublepost]
If I had thousands and thousands in pocket change to donate for this I would show up to the lunch with a Razer Blade, put it in front of Tim, shake my head, and walk away.
Leave it to the torches and pitchforks crowd in the MacRumors forums to vomit their self-righteous bitterness all over somebody doing a good thing for charity.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

dazzer21-2

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2005
If I was to win it, I'd go dressed as Steve Jobs and give him a good old slap with my Reality Distortion Field for making such a mess of the Mac!!

Reactions: steve333

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
It's not that Tim Cook is saying, "having lunch with me is worth $100K", I'm not sure whether you're setting that up as a strawman. People don't pay that kind of money as a "fair purchase price" for a bit of Tim's time, they do it because it's for a good cause. It's not arrogance. It's the folks running the auction who are saying, "we've seen these kinds of items going for prices in that ballpark in the past". Apple donating 1 billion to charity would likely raise serious complaints from stockholders. And neither you nor I know how much Tim Cook donates personally to charity, he doesn't exactly announce it.
[doublepost=1493748028][/doublepost]Leave it to the torches and pitchforks crowd in the MacRumors forums to vomit their self-righteous bitterness all over somebody doing a good thing for charity.
People could donate that directly.
All the fuzz and buzz is overhead aimed to sustain the positive newsflow managed by spindocters, to prominents who need continuous attention to feed their self-esteem, so to say: conditioned egoism

Last edited:

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
his lunch auction value keeps dropping. I think in a year or two i may throw in a bid for $100
[doublepost=1493749612][/doublepost]
Aside from the Charity lunch with meeting Mr. Cook, I would really look forward to the Tour of Apple Park personally.

wow when are you going?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Ask him, why his company spends the lowest rate on charity, %-wise.
I have no time to lunch with the greatest penny-pincher in the world

BTW More sincere, and NOT always about money:
MacRumors 2017 Blood Drive

How much money does Apple donate to charity? Post a link, please...

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Could apple just donate their own money to the cause and invite random people fir free?

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
You still have not provided a number. Please answer my question.
I am not feeling the slightest obligation towards you.
And why would I ?
As Apple is obliged to report substantial amounts, it would be in the financial reporting system if more than 1% of earnings => so it ain't. So I stand by my statement.
Go have lunch with Tim and ask him.

Last edited:

luddx

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Can anyone win the auction and ask him why he's so bent on ruining Apple.

Why Timmy, why ?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"The cost of the Apple Park meal is included in the winning bid, but travel and accommodations are not"

oh darn you Apple. There is always a catch. :rolleyes:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I am not feeling the slightest obligation towards you.
And why would I ?
As Apple is obliged to report substantial amounts, it would be in the financial reporting system if more than 1% of earnings => so it ain't. So I stand by my statement.
Go have lunch with Tim and ask him.

You made a strong assertion about Apple's charitable giving. Was genuinely curious if your claim was based on fact, or if you were just making stuff up.

With respect to your assertion on required reporting, help me out with the maths... Is 1% of 2016 earnings substantial?

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
I would love to chat with mr Cook in person and give him some free advice :p
Seen the pace of products lately, he needs some.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
[doublepost=1493748028][/doublepost]Leave it to the torches and pitchforks crowd in the MacRumors forums to vomit their self-righteous bitterness all over somebody doing a good thing for charity.
Lol...and your post isn't sanctimonious? Making *a joke* about what I'd say to Tim means I hate charity and am a self righteous tool... :rolleyes: I own an iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. Hopefully one day I'll come back to a MBP.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
You made a strong assertion about Apple's charitable giving. Was genuinely curious if your claim was based on fact, or if you were just making stuff up.
With respect to your assertion on required reporting, help me out with the maths... Is 1% of 2016 earnings substantial?
1% of $240 Billion would seem substantial to me (= half of all European 3rd world aid combined)
(using pre-tax numbers here as Apple would be seek to deduct or avoid tax anyway)
Keep in mind that Apple PR is a good news factory, so any amount to be considered impressive would probably proudly be published. The fact that they don't reveal it, says a lot.
To be frank, Cook personally did make several claims of amounts that he would donate if he dies.
Apple's Tim Cook to donate his fortune to charity - Mar. 27, 2015

Last edited:

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
If I had thousands and thousands in pocket change to donate for this I would show up to the lunch with a Razer Blade, put it in front of Tim, shake my head, and walk away. If a company like Razer can make the Blade (and sell it like hot cakes) Apple has no excuse.
I've never seen one in person lol. You know why no one uses the "selling like hot cakes" anymore? Hot cake sales tanked many moon ago

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.