Apple CEO Tim Cook Calls Reports That iPhone XR is a Flop 'Bologna'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook recently sat down for an interview with Mad Money's Jim Cramer, which aired today at 6:00 p.m Eastern Time. CNBC shared tidbits of the interview this morning, but now the full discussion is available.

Cook covered topics that include Apple's recent earnings downgrade, Apple's performance in China, iPhone upgrades, how well the iPhone XR sold, and more.

[​IMG]

When asked about reports that the iPhone XR was a flop, Cook says he calls "bologna on that." The iPhone XR has, in fact, been the most popular iPhone "every single day" since it started shipping out to customers.

Cook did, however, demur when asked about iPhone XR sales relative to other sales, saying only that he'd like to sell more, and that Apple is "working on that."

According to Cook, naysayers have been saying similar things about Apple for many years now, but Apple is focused on the long term. Cook pointed towards Apple's large active install base, high customer satisfaction rating, and growing services business as positives.

On the topic of poor iPhone sales in China, Cook said that the Chinese economy is slowing, and that trade tension with the U.S. created a "more-sharp downturn." He said that he believes trade tensions are temporary, and that he's heard "some very encouraging words" recently.

As for upgrades, which were impacted in 2018 by the availability of cheaper $29 battery replacements for older devices, Cook said he's not bothered, and that the number of iPhones sold in a 90-day period, which many analysts believe is the "most important metric" is "far, far, far" down on his list of concerns.
    Apple does plan to encourage upgrades, however, through features like new phone setup, data transfer, and older device trade-ins to lower the base cost of a new device.

Cook went on to explain that Apple's "not about making the cheapest" products, instead focusing on making the "best product that enriches people's lives."
    The most important thing, says Cook, is that "customers are satisfied."

A full transcript of Cook's Mad Money interview is available from CNBC.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Calls Reports That iPhone XR is a Flop 'Bologna'

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

wait, what's bologna? have i been misspelling bologny my entire life?

3. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

Then release the numbers Tim. What are you afraid of?

4. Jeff750 macrumors member

"I want the customer to be happy. We work for them. And so the important thing is that they're happy. Because if they're happy, they will eventually replace that product with another. And the services and the ecosystem around that will thrive."

This ^^

5. Zebrew macrumors newbie

I like to think he actually said "Bologna" with the Italian pronunciation instead of "baloney".

6. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Testy Timmy, doing the bob and weave. Release the numbers Tim. ;)

7. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

I’m from actual Bologna and can confirm that. Full of XRs here.

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

The low upgrades this year are because of price and the lack of anything new in the XS. I’ve upgraded every year since the 3g and I’m not going to spend over 1k for almost nothing new. You could also argue that anyone who is in the market for something other than a phablet was pretty much given the finger because apple wanted to try and grow their user base in China.

9. Act3 macrumors 68000

bologna / baloney. “Bologna” is the name of a city in Italy, pronounced “boh-LOAN-ya.” But although the sausage named after the city in English is spelled the same, it is prononced “buh-LOAN-ee” and is often spelled “baloney.” ... When it means “nonsense,” the standard spelling is “baloney.”May 19, 2016

https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/19/bologna-baloney/

Just a common error in spelling, maybe.

10. madKIR macrumors 6502a

I gotta believe it is indeed a flop. In NYC, which is extremely loyal to new iPhones and where I constantly see iPhone X/XS’s and even a lot of Max’s, I have yet to see a single XR in the wild!

11. rlhamil macrumors regular

rlhamil

"Bologna" is the correct spelling of the city in Italy, and also of the sliced sausage, and assorted variants. "Baloney" is an alternate spelling, and is also usually the spelling used when the meaning intended is "nonsense".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baloney_(disambiguation)

12. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Isn't this comparable to what they did with the 5c? Previous gen hardware, new colors. How did the 5c sales compare to the Xr?

13. Act3 macrumors 68000

And exactly how close do you get to a stranger's phone in the wild to determine whether it was an X, Xs, Xs max or an Xr? Throw a case on those and it is hard to tell from a distance other than the camera on the back.

Cook, says its been their best selling phone since its was introduced. What does that say about the rest of them including the Xs and the max?

14. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

The XR is such an awesome phone. This is certainly no 5C. I believe you Timmy :)

15. Matt Leaf macrumors regular

The 5c was vastly cheaper, also it’s plastic case was highly durable and basically did away with the need for a case, making these models highly recognisable in the wild.

Still waiting for a smaller XR, this is the model everyone will buy.

I actually picked up a 7 recently due to a failing SE, but I returned it. The size just doesn’t suit me. So I got my SE fixed up at a third party vendor for cheap and now I’m back on the road. Cmon 2019 XR mini >_<

16. citysnaps macrumors 601

For sure...

I'm tempted to trade in my iPhone X for an XR, just for the HDR camera. A killer feature.

And I never liked the X's OLED display.

17. brendu macrumors 68020

See you are clearly in a circle of people and working around people who spend a lot of money to have the best things. This makes sense that it would be in a place like nyc. I’ve seen several Xr models in the wild.

18. Relentless Power, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Why are you assuming he is afraid? Of what? Apple released numbers for years. Do competitors release their earnings? Apple doesn’t have to release ‘numbers’, nor do they owe that to anyone.

19. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

“Now, the best phones, we knew that, as we went to the X and then the follow-on of the XS and the XS Max, that everybody would not want to spend $1,000 for the phone. So we made the iPhone XR.”

He’s already saying the XS/XS Max isn’t worth the money at all. ;)

20. Act3 macrumors 68000

earnings calls are a common thing... and the fact that apple used to release numbers sold, and now stated that they won't is a questionable thing

21. kirsch macrumors newbie

Bologna is a type of sausage.
    And yes, you’ve been misspelling baloney your entire life.

22. usarioclave macrumors 65816

23. gugy macrumors 68030

gugy

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sure, it is questionable, but Apple doesn’t owe anyone numbers, period. The fact they cut them off doesn’t hide the market degradation in China amongst the smart phone saturation.

25. Halfsnap macrumors newbie

Halfsnap

Bella questa :)