Apple CEO Tim Cook Calls Reports That iPhone XR is a Flop 'Bologna'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2019.

1. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

same here

2. chatin macrumors 6502a

chatin

No lines on launch day except in Japan so that's a day 1 retail flop. Apple is working on slow sales but not slow enough to set off alarm bells.

3. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

The thing with Tesla is: the future of the car isn't too great. In Asia, a lot of people don't have one and never will, relying on public transport. Europe is on the same trend, to a lesser degree.
    Same for home-automation: home-ownership outside the US is often way, way lower. People live in rented apartments where the most they can do is install a lightbulb and a home-speaker...

4. ntlman, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

ntlman macrumors member

ntlman

Well, the high end market obviously has the most profit points available for Apple to take advantage of if they were to make this theoretical purchase. But there are potential benefits for renters in big cities (ie like me):
    • Given Apple's penchant for being able to take one piece of technology and shrink it to a still usable form factor, I wouldn't be surprised to see an electric scooter (the Vespa kind, not Bird kind) be something they develop after they were to acquire the electric power train technology that Tesla has built to date. Or at the very least, electric bicycles, which are becoming a real thing
      • They're not for me, but Apple convinced large numbers of people to pay up for a luxury watch/health monitor that will be unusable after 5 years. If they could get more people to buy more bicycles (albeit incredibly advanced and high priced ones), I think that is a net positive
    • Renting an apartment in a building that utilizes a power cell system to deliver power to the units could theoretically allow users with synced HomePods to optimize power usage for things like your lights or other things controlled by HomeKit software
    • A lot of commuters organize ride share pools where they actually lease the van themselves and take responsibility for parking and maintenance of it. In theory, an Apple/Tesla could start producing those type of commuter vehicles as a future model offering

5. mebehere macrumors 6502

I believe it was subsidized. Like all previous models.

6. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

So, it was the carrier that increased the price and affordability not Apple.

That was an industry wide change that the major carriers implemented and impacted all types of phones.....not just iPhones

7. Mars56 Suspended

can he just say that stuff or are there people that will hold him responsible if he's lying?

8. Guyp16 macrumors newbie

It’s not the size of the handset regarding SE ( I thought they should replace even if it was a bigger unit) it’s the starting price imho. That’s my main point.

As for Apple and customer service- forget it, they’ve dropped the ball totally since Ron Johnson left years ago and staff like myself realised they were no longer customer centric - I’m ex Apple and now work independently supporting Apple customers due to Apple dropping the ball so much. I really wish their customer support was as good as several years ago. I’m sad to see the company losing core values.

9. cics macrumors member

cics

Really? I use my MacBook for work, I had a problem with my keyboard 3 or 4 years ago. Fixed in 1 hour and I was ready to work again. I don't want to imagine how would the experience have been with Dell, Samsung or any other manufacturer.

10. Guyp16 macrumors newbie

Even as an Ex Apple employee I have to say you were extremely lucky, with a 1 hour turn around!! It must of been a fairly easy issue, but at least it was dealt with.
    Apple are excellent at honoring UK consumer Law though especially when other uk retailers flout the 6 yr criteria, Apple in large part will not. The company is still nowhere near as strong as when Ron Johnson controlled retail

11. cics macrumors member

cics

I was in Australia back in the day and had a couple of buttons not working. Of course I had also other serious issues, but in general Apple's customer care is unmatched, at least compared to other tech manufacturers.

12. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

Apple to Offer $29 iPhone Battery Replacements, More Battery Health Info in iOS.
    Before this you couldn't have a battery replacement for iPhones "out" of Apple's policy, no matter your will.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2019 ---
    I also agree with this. Except when Apple denies to give help.

13. cics macrumors member

cics

14. Guyp16 macrumors newbie

In the past customer service was great not so much now especially in light of all the class actions which have had to enforce repairs since 2011. The company was excellent but the reason I’m independent is because they dropped the ball.

15. cics macrumors member

cics

Ok guys, Apple's Customer Care sucks. Happy now? You are free to switch over to Samsung or any other brand if they provide you a better experience. We live in a free world :)

16. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

You had to pass through Apple's diagnosis, which deliberately ignored a large number of issues. But this had already been discussed until the last drop. Only class actions and world wide bad press changed Apple's approach.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2019 ---
    Ok, your words, not mine. I've dealt with Apple's customer care in the last 25 years and overall I feel satisfied with their service. But that doesn't mean that no issues happened during those years. There's not only black or white. You always satisfied? Good for you.

17. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

Dell, Lenovo, HP offer NBD - or even 4h on-site service.

In Apple-land, you've either got to buy your own spares (if you're a business with more than a handful of devices) or contract a local Apple Authorized Reseller/Service-Provider that specializes in this kind of stuff and will keep spares available to you, for a price.