Apple CEO Tim Cook Delivers Virtual Commencement Address to Ohio State University Graduates

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook today delivered the virtual commencement address at The Ohio State University's virtual commencement event.

Tim Cook to Ohio State University graduates:
Graduates, I'm sorry that we're not celebrating together today. Your class is a special one marked by history like few others in OSU's 150 years. And while we aren't shoulder to shoulder in the Horseshoe, filling it to the rafters, I know your parents, your loved ones, your friends and teachers are no less overwhelmed with the pride in you and in what you have achieved.

It can be difficult to see the whole picture when you're still inside the frame, but I hope you wear these uncommon circumstances as a badge of honor. Those who meet times of historical challenge with their eyes and hearts open, forever restless and forever striving, are also those who leave the greatest impact on the lives of others. In every age, life has a frustrating way of reminding us that we are not the sole authors of our story. We must share credit, whether we'd like to or not, with a difficult and selfish collaborator called our circumstances.
The event featured Cook's commencement speech, musical performances, and university officials in traditional commencement regalia at the Ohio Stadium, which was empty of students.

The full Ohio State University Commencement livestream can be viewed here.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Delivers Virtual Commencement Address to Ohio State University Graduates

Naraxus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2016
You're damn right you lucked into it and the rest of the Apple world has paid for it ever since with worst-in-class software, neglected lineups of core products, lecturing on a variety of pet causes, throwing key employees under the bus and so on.

The sooner this joker is gone the better off we'll all be

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
You're damn right you lucked into it and the rest of the Apple world has paid for it ever since with worst-in-class software, neglected lineups of core products, lecturing on a variety of pet causes, throwing key employees under the bus and so on.

You allowed Tim Cook‘s speech to draw this kind of resentment in your post? I would never allow a company [Or person] to have that kind of power over my life where it makes me angry as you are. Also, did you pay attention to the quarterly earnings? (Rhetorical) I’d say Tim Cook is soaring Apple to unprecedented heights during the worst economic recession, all while including Apples contributions to the pandemic have been helpful under Cook.

Oh, and Cook isn’t going anywhere, and maybe that’s what upsets you so much, because you actually know his core leadership is successful year after year , you just don’t want to acknowledge him due to your own frustrations. I’m sorry you feel the way you do by choice, It’s Just not a way to live if you’re that disgruntled with Apple or Cook. We all have choices, maybe yours should be looking elsewhere other than Apple.

wigby

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2007

Your view of the "Apple World" is so myopic, it's essentially invisible. What about investors? What about 1 trillion dollars in value. What about 2 billion users? You're missing all the people that Steve Jobs completely overlooked.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

The universe, it seems, does not agree with you.

Marzzz

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
I went to a rival Big Ten school (quite a few years ago), and have absolutely no recollection who spoke at my Commencement; some quasi-unknown state politician. More recently, they had several nationally known politicians, and I subsequently stopped giving to the alumni fund. I wouldn't have minded Tim (or in that era, how about Steve!?) speaking instead.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

If the free market continues to be kind to Apple, why would Tim leave? If people were as dissatisfied as you, they would flee.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The product placements were rather over the top, but an otherwise great speech. We live in very uncertain times, I can only imagine the mental trauma for so many graduates who worked hard reaching this point. Greatness always wins in times like these though, so I will take the optimist route.

Kudos for pointing out the non-immigrants harvesting the field to put food on the tables and those who work the unseen jobs like keeping the hospitals clean.

chucker23n1

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2014

Yes, because we all know Steve wasn't known for throwing people under the bus…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.