Apple CEO Tim Cook Discusses Tech Regulation, Privacy, Education, Health, and More at TIME 100 Summit

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 23, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook sat down with former TIME managing editor Nancy Gibbs at the first-ever TIME 100 Summit in New York City today to discuss the need for regulation in the tech industry, privacy, education, health, and more.

[​IMG]

We've paraphrased some of Cook's comments from the interview:

Cook on Apple's values:
    And:
    Cook on the need for regulation in the tech industry:
    And:
    Cook on privacy:
    Cook on his relations with U.S. President Donald Trump:
    Cook on education:
    Cook on Apple's push into health:
    Cook on Screen Time:
    A live stream replay is available on YouTube:

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Discusses Tech Regulation, Privacy, Education, Health, and More at TIME 100 Summit

2. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Tim Cook is doing an excellent job at Apple and embodies leadership.

Hate on.

3. Diamond Dog macrumors member

Diamond Dog

Meh. Never says anything new. You can practically set up a bingo sheet with:

- Our values
    - We care a lot about our products
    - Apple is doing great
    - Great products in the pipeline (perpetually)
    - Etc.

4. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

Thanks for the heads up.
    I'm ready for this. Let's go Tim!

5. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502a

OneBagTravel

Did Tim get demoted to PR manager? All these interviews when does he have time to run the company?

6. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

If they do a Q&A can someone who is attending this please have the balls to ask him interesting questions that we actually want to know the answers to. No more China, politics and privacy talk please and thanks.

7. calstanford macrumors regular

8. hermes16 macrumors member

blah blah blah.. i'm an innovator that solders on memory to computer and calls them "pro" versions.
    Took Steve Job's ten year plan and have nothing else to follow it.

9. first-to-tea macrumors member

Um I’m watching and I think I just fell in love with Tim Cook currently discussing values and regulation.

10. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Please, don't waste your time and watch these fantastic interviews instead.

11. Bin Cook macrumors regular

If Apple always had these values, how comes we only started to hear about them after Steve passed away?

We get that Tim has no product or creative legacy and his woke crusades are one way for him to try and be remembered, but don't re-write history.

12. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

FYI
    If you go on Youtube you can watch unlimited different people speaking. Perhaps you even have a friend or family member that you know who will speak to you personally. If not just go out into the street and I am sure you can strike up a simple conversation with a passer-by. Most people can, and will, speak. Usually free of charge too, not like Tim Cook who charges vast amounts of money just to drawl some nondescript-yet-supposedly-meaningful spiel that may contain some hint or other regarding Apple activity.

13. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

so tired of all this self gratification of tim cook when apple products are so predictable theses days, no creativity anymore.

14. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

One could say exactly the same thing about the Apple-hate comments. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So, so tiresome. Beyond boring. Zero creativity. Absolutely predictable. Gratification of a circular variety, if you will.

15. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

I hate how Tim keeps on trying so hard to make privacy a thing people should care about. Most people don't care, they have the FB app installed. No one cares that google knows what you searched for.

16. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Screen time isn't great. It is flaky and I've never gotten family screen time to work.

17. DoogH macrumors member

Read 1984. If people don't care, that's their own naivity.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

How would you know that? Every single day, consumers personal information and credentials are fraudulently obtained. Name one other company that takes the extreme measures that Apple does in terms of security with encryption with their smart phones? They created Face ID to make the biometric security more stringent, the advocate privacy, because they (Apple) believe in the consumers protection. I believe more CEOs _should_ be more vocal like Tim Cook does about the consumers security. That is one of the reasons why I remain loyal to Apple, is for reasons as such.

19. Greymacuser, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2019

Greymacuser macrumors 6502

Greymacuser

Apple has stagnated with no real innovations, no professional desktops, soldered in parts to prevent upgradability, non-apple store repairs being suppressed, no thermal management in their tech, the company being sued from left and right and having to settle out of court to keep it quiet, prices continue to go up while quality goes down, products breaking more easily than ever due to lack of quality, workers hurling themselves out of factory windows, compromises of security, "curation" of apps, and an sjw bases work model.
    Other than that, he's doing just fine.

20. calstanford macrumors regular

and yet no one is paying thousands of hard earned dollars for them
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2019 ---
    He didn't say Apple doesn't care or doesn't do a good job. He said CONSUMERS don't care. And I sadly agree. Look how Facebook is spitting into everyone's face with their blatant privacy issues. And yet, I don't see them closing shop. In fact their numbers are where they have been for years (FB stagnant, Whatsapp and Instagram growing).

21. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

Some of us made a positive decision almost a decade ago to NOT use Facebook and subsequently all so called social media platforms are also a No-No. I've ditched as much of Google as possible and ONLY use Google for searching from within a VM that gets overwritten after use.
    Gradually, my family have realised that my stance is right and most of them have stopped posting anything on Social Media especially photos and things like where they are going etc.

22. Bin Cook macrumors regular

Would love a a separate thread where people could share tips on how to achieve this. My primary concern about privacy is social network algorithms can be created to manipulate users into seeing or not seeing, doing or not doing.

23. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Please exclude me from your straw-man universe of people who claim their privacy is irrelevant to them.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2019 ---
    It’s a nice straw-man, but not true. A12 Bionic with neural engine, smart hdr, dynamic video etc, AirPods, Apple Watch. If you believe Apple has been without innovation, you should check out their website.

Also we know while jobs was ceo, Apple was never sued, nor even once.

I like Tim and he is doing a great job and it shows in the financials. YMMV.

24. Ronald Reagan macrumors member

Ronald Reagan

I wish Mr. Cook was as passionate about the concern over the power these tech companies wield to squelch speech they they deem “hate speech,” as he was about DACA (an unconstitutional executive fiat). Also, regulation is often used as a means of bludgeoning competition in the tech industry because lobbyists and generally behind it. I’m looking at you Google and Facebook.

25. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Sure, build them in every place they are sold, also split up design, marketing and development to represent what a specific country contributes to Apples bottom line......

Erm:confused: