Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
You have a link that any major company is paying below minimum wage?

Actually just the opposite. Under DACA, you have work authorization and need to be paid minimum wage. Once you lose that status, companies will try to pay below minimum wage behind closed doors.

Reactions: DoctorTech

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
As is mentioned in the article, 450 Apple employees are DACA recipients. How is DACA being threatened not something that would financially impact the company?

Huh? I meant he wont fight against anything that negatively impacts the company. Fighting for DACA employees is a positive for the company.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I expected useless, hateful, petty blather, and I wasn’t disappointed. But if you were taken as a baby to another country where you grew up and thought of as your native home, you’d be happy to have a boss fighting for you. That’s where this ends. I don’t give a crap about anyone’s feelings about buggy OSs, hardware prices, “woke”ness, China, Steve Jobs, or anyone familiar enough to with Cook to call him Timmy, and neither do Dreamers. All an irrelevant crock, so save it.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Cook said that his focus is on policy over politics, and that he's focused on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which both Cook and Apple have been advocating for.
This phrasing makes me wonder: Are there any issues where Cook and Apple disagree?

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Awesome. Tim is on the money with this.
I won't debate the merits of DACA, but he is NOT on the money to urge the Supreme Court to uphold it. The executive branch does not make legislation. The judicial branch should not be compelled to uphold legislation created and "passed" outside of the constitutional bounds. Urging this ruling is hoping that our system is torn down. What Tim Cook needs to do is urge the legislative branch to perform their function.

I'm so tired of the ends justifying the means for people.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Total respect to Tim on this.
Very refreshing to see this kind of decency. Too many people are truly selfish and cruel at the moment. The world will not survive if 'humans' carry on with their cruelty and greed.
[automerge]1574459771[/automerge]
Maybe he should do his job and deliver software which works

Incredibly selfish and typical uncaring response there. Tim is not responsible for delivering software. Not too sure that many CEO's of highly successful companies are responsible for delivering software. They have a thousand other things to do.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Tim needs to go run a non-profit or lobbying firm whose purpose is social activism. I think he’d be happier there — it seems to be his true passion. Jobs’ Apple passion is one of many things I miss.

Come on - Apple has never been better. What Steve did 20 - 10 years ago would not work with people today. Apple has been on a roll over the last 5 years and it's getting better and better.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
If DACA is a good idea, Congress should pass legislation. You do not want a president making such policy, because even if you don’t care about the Constitution or separation of powers, someday, there will be a president in office that you don’t like. For some, that was Obama. For others, it’s Trump. Do you want the executive order of a president you don’t like to become law forever?

That’s the problem with presidents creating law by executive fiat. The next one can come along and cancel it, which is what Trump has done. Obama couldn’t get anything through Congress after the first midterm elections so he decided to issue executive orders to accomplish what he couldn’t with the legislative branch. Now Trump is undoing everything Obama willed into existence with his pen and some believe it’s established law. It’s not. Like you say if DACA is the answer then the Congress should get on with it. The pendulum has swung too far toward presidential power. There have been many periods in U.S. history where presidents have wield too much power and the results were disastrous. Andrew Jackson comes to mind when he told Supreme Court Justice Marshall “John Marshall has made his decision now let him enforce it.”

jgdeschamps

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I wish you'd fight as hard to ensure your company releases bug free operating system for your biggest money maker.

But yeah, fight your social justice battles, nobody's gonna remember you after you're done at Apple.

Call me crazy, but after he is done with Apple, I think that this type of "social justice battles" are just his training grounds for a future political career.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
it’s not what he said. Follow the thread I replied to and don’t supplant it with your own scenario.

It's called outsourcing. Remember the apple employees that were listening to Siri recordings? I don't either because that work was outsourced.

Reactions: the johnmc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.