Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's earnings call covering the fourth fiscal quarter of 2023, Apple executives held a Q&A session with analysts and investors. Apple CEO Tim Cook was questioned about how Apple might be able to monetize generative AI, which he of course declined to comment on, but he said that Apple is "investing quite a bit" in AI and that there are going to be product advancements that involve generative AI.

hey-siri-banner-apple.jpg

If you zoom out and look at what we've done with AI and machine learning and how we've used it, these are fundamental technology integral to every product we ship.

When we shipped iOS 17, it included features like Personal Voice and Live Voicemail. AI is at the heart of these features. You can go all the way to the life-saving features on the watch and phone, like Fall Detection, Crash Detection, and ECG on the watch. These would not be possible without AI. We don't label them as such, because we labeled them as to what their consumer benefit is, but the fundamental tech behind it is AI and machine learning.

In terms of generative AI, we obviously have work going on. I'm not going to get into detail about it because we really don't do that, but you can bet we're investing. We're investing quite a bit. We're going to do it responsibly. You will see product advancements over time where those technologies are at the heart of it.
Cook said that Apple is planning to be "responsible" when it delves into generative AI technology, and he suggested that features will roll out over time. Current rumors suggest that Apple's is planning some major AI updates for 2024, some of which could use generative AI.

Reports suggest that Apple is spending billions on generative AI research and product development.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook on Generative AI: 'We're Investing Quite a Bit'

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I really hope Siri becomes as good as GPT4 is at understanding things. I'd love to be able to ask Siri stuff like I can ask ChatGPT stuff. Although I really *really* hope they eventually let us change what Siri is called. I don't give a rat's arse that they dropped the "hey" part from "hey Siri" but I would have *loved* it if I could call Siri something else. For branding though, I doubt they'll let us do it, but I really want to talk to my computers like they're straight out of Star Trek.

TimB21

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
I really hope Siri becomes as good as GPT4 is at understanding things. I'd love to be able to ask Siri stuff like I can ask ChatGPT stuff. Although I really *really* hope they eventually let us change what Siri is called. I don't give a rat's arse that they dropped the "hey" part from "hey Siri" but I would have *loved* it if I could call Siri something else. For branding though, I doubt they'll let us do it, but I really want to talk to my computers like they're straight out of Star Trek.
You mean talking to the mouse like Scotty did?

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
NVIDIA is very happy to hear that, especially at $500k per H100 server.
I think they are buying H100s and talked up nvidia back at WWDC. The scary fast event really got in to Machine Learning on the Mac, so I wonder if there will be a pivot to Apple silicon. Maybe those M3 Ultras that will likely be twice as fast as M2 Ultras will get some use in Apple data centers.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I think they are buying H100s and talked up nvidia back at WWDC. The scary fast event really got in to Machine Learning on the Mac, so I wonder if there will be a pivot to Apple silicon. Maybe those M3 Ultras that will likely be twice as fast as M2 Ultras will get some use in Apple data centers.

Machine learning for inference but not deep learning. I suspect it'll be M5 at the earliest before we hear anything significant about AI.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
This is classical “finger pointing at the moon”. I care little about Siri. If they improve its current bad situation, it’s okey. The real groundbreaking stuff is things like like fall detection, and that’s the exciting part, but articles still repeat Siri everywhere when talking about Apple and AI. I just think people have very confusing thoughts on what’s a gimmick and what is not. Then, they’re surprised because some products sell well, and some others don’t.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Adding hallucinative AI to stupid Siri is ground zero for Skynet.

"Siri, set an alarm for 7am."

"Missile launch countdown initiated..."

Hallucination is a specific technique. Of course an AI like chatgpt can hallucinate as a side effect, but with fine-tuning and a specialized tool / context, the hallucination falls to zero. So, if you train an AI specifically to set alarms and / or use a specific toolset, you can make it damn reliable.

Reactions: pappl and wanha

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Generative AI is a fad and Apple better start looking for opportunity somewhere else

It's nowhere near a fad. Generative AI is incredibly useful for content generation (images and written content), programming, and many other applications.

Remember that GPT is a LANGUAGE model, so it particularly excels at language-related tasks. For example, it absolutely shines if you use it to improve the flow of badly written text.

Of course, you have to KNOW what to ask. But if you do, it's pure gold.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Do you talk to ChatGTP? You write it out. Siris biggest weakness is understanding speech...an ongoing problem no one has solved perfectly yet.

Hope Apple can make some progress on implementing useful generative AI. The little boost they gave SD was nice but Mac still sucks for creative and hobbiest generative AI right now.

Reactions: klasma

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Hallucination is a specific technique. Of course an AI like chatgpt can hallucinate as a side effect, but with fine-tuning and a specialized tool / context, the hallucination falls to zero. So, if you train an AI specifically to set alarms and / or use a specific toolset, you can make it damn reliable.
You are correct in theory, but the point is that Apple hasn't been doing it. The point is not about generative AI, but APPLE making generative AI when they've made Siri a moron. So it's useless to state that it can be "damn reliable" when Apple hasn't been making it reliable.

Siri often doesn't even understand very regular commands for tasks it's specifically designed and marketed to do. This is common knowledge. Now we keep assuming that Apple will fix things, but they haven't fixed Siri. In fact, by many accounts Siri has gotten worse these several years.

If you tell it to do something, sometimes it will do exactly that, but sometimes it will do something entirely unrelated. It cannot even get speech to text right. The issue does not exist, or does not exist to nearly the same extent, in Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa, or even Dragon NaturallyFreakingSpeaking.

Often it will hear you correctly and still do something unrelated. Last night I told it to play a song in three different ways. Each time Siri heard me correctly as it displayed the text of what I said. It did three different things except play the song. I tried naming the song, and the song and the album, and the song and which playlist it's in. Finally I had to pick up my iPad and tap into the app to do it myself.

Admittedly, Siri has been pretty good at setting alarms, at least for me.

Now, without any rational basis for saying this, and with a decade's worth of evidence to the contrary, I still assume that Apple will make a capable generative AI. But certainly not soon.

Last edited:

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
It's nowhere near a fad. Generative AI is incredibly useful for content generation (images and written content), programming, and many other applications.

Remember that GPT is a LANGUAGE model, so it particularly excels at language-related tasks. For example, it absolutely shines if you use it to improve the flow of badly written text.

Of course, you have to KNOW what to ask. But if you do, it's pure gold.
Every fad so far had a justification as to “why it isn’t just a fad” and “why this is the best thing since sliced bread”

I guess it’s my word against yours here, so we’ll leave it to time to have its say

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
as good as GPT4 is at understanding things.

Well, chatGPT 4 does not "understand" things. At least in a way that a real AI will (if one ever comes about.)

These generative machines are extremely elaborate mimeograph machines.

Whether or not Apple plans on competing with chatGPT remains to be seen. Tim Cook is rather good at being nebulous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.