Apple CEO Tim Cook to Deliver Commencement Speech to Tulane Graduates in May

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 7, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook is set to deliver the keynote address to Tulane graduates at the university's 2019 commencement event, set to take place on May 18 in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, the university announced today.

Tulane University shared the news with students through a cute video that spelled out Cook's visit in emoji.

Tulane President Mike Fitts said that Cook represents the "kind of success" that the university hopes that all graduates can attain.
    Cook said that he "can't wait" to celebrate alongside new Tulane graduates later this year.
    Cook has given commencement addresses at multiple universities over the years, including his alma mater Auburn University, Duke University, George Washington University, and MIT.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook to Deliver Commencement Speech to Tulane Graduates in May

2. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

To me the whole CEO politician thing doesn’t vibe. I liked it when CEO meant passionate decision maker. Sure, Steve did one commencement speech but that was at the end, after all his accomplishment. Tim hopped right into this cr*p and hasn’t slowed down.

3. pat500000, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Typical. Very typical of tim. After all these apple related bugs and privacy crap, tim goes out to deliver commencement.

Steve Jobs wannabe.

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It can't be any worse than the politicians that these schools dig up to give a commencement address.

I attended a graduation ceremony years ago where Chuck Schumer gave the address. Now that was painful :).

5. citysnaps macrumors 601

It seems you are not aware that Tim Cook is neither a software engineer, coder, or software manager. And, that giving a commencement speech in no way influences Apple dealing with software bug/privacy issues.

Also...you are probably not aware that CEOs of large tech companies routinely give commencement addresses at universities. You might want to research that a bit.

6. pika2000 macrumors 601

I don’t see any politics here.
    Many other figures do commencement speeches. Are all of them doing it for political reasons? This is not a White House speech.

7. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I hope his entire speech is delivered in emoji. But not digital ones, just Tim scrunching his face around for 30 minutes until it sort of... ends.

Yeah, that’s good scrimshaw.

8. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

What are you talking about? Will Ferrell does commencement speeches. It's just about Universities trying to get a big name.

9. tubomac macrumors member

If Tim wants to talk about politics he should resign as CEO otherwise is not credible.
    Recently, because we live in a world full of hypocrisy, we have a lot of CEOs talking about "rights". Unfortunately they never talk about "social rights" but they are always very generous talking about "civil rights". The reason is obvious and banal: social rights cost money, this is why Apple like, all other companies, is always in search of third world countries manpower. Instead, civil rights (and I have nothing against civil rights) cost nothing.

10. Zenithal macrumors 604

I can see this thread being over to PRSI very soon. Shame we don't have popcorn to pop.

Good on Timbucktwo.

11. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Good. Tulane, a prominent university. I know several graduates of that institution. One is a family member, who I wouldn't be surprised, if he was in attendance.

12. Scooz, Feb 7, 2019

Scooz macrumors 6502

Just a clever hint towards Apple’s car project being alive and being broader set than expected.

Or a playful one towards their recent response times?

13. Baymowe335, Feb 7, 2019

Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Steve Jobs knew Cook was a genius. You should too.

Some of these things come with being the leader of the best company in the world.

14. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

You made me laugh out loud.

That being said, I would love to hear him speak to my class if I were graduating. He isn't the product visionary whose shoes he's had to fill, but he's had a lot of unique experiences that should make him a very interesting man to know...if he can expand a bit beyond his usual public talking points and let the graduates into his world a bit.

15. caskin8a macrumors member

This is pretty bang on. It always feels off cause you’re thinking - you’re a leader of a capitalist enterprise complicit in a system that furthers wealth inequality, exploits workforces in developing countries for wage rates that lack human dignity and we just know you’re going to stand up there and harp on about some educated, privileged, western view of the world being hash tag “better than you found it”.

Jeez.

16. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

You don't see politics? Perhaps you haven't paid attention to too many graduation speeches.

You can be sure Cook's speech will be littered with typical NPC nonsense.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2019 ---
    Thank God for wealth inequality.

I don't want to have the same assets and bank account at the guy panhandling or my neighbor.

I don't understand the obsession to just absolutely soak and envy those more fortunate.

It used to be people admired those who had more and wanted to know how they too could come to that position.

Now it's just---"they have more money than you and they do not deserve it! Get them! Pitchforks!"

Newsflash: Income inequality is normal and unescapable. If it weren't, we'd be living to the lowest common denominator.

Like the Soviet Union was. Unless you like that sort of thing.

PITCHFORKS!

17. caskin8a macrumors member

You’re way oversimplifying this. I agree wealth inequality is normal and inescapable - it’s the sheer limits to which it’s being stretched that begin to tear at the morality of a system within a civilisation.

We’re all guilty of this to a degree (ie walking past homeless people or whatever, life goes on). But to bring it back to Cook and his value espousing - in my mind (others will disagree) a hypocrisy starts to emerge when you have that much influence and power, and you stay complicit in the very system.

I’m not saying don’t make money - I’m saying Cook has his wires somewhat crossed.

18. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

When did it mean that? The original Founding Fathers were incredibly rich land owners, barons, and company men. Also, if you think Steve Jobs wasn't political then I don't know what to tell you.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2019 ---
    Sadly, to a lot of people even GOING to college now makes you some kind of "elite" because you actually care about knowledge and a more fulfilling life. It's pathetic. When I was young, "Stay in School" was a HUGE thing, and now huge parts of the country attack young men and women for it.

19. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

You know, I could sort of see that happening…

cookmoji.gif

20. Scooz, Feb 7, 2019

Scooz macrumors 6502

Well, but how could he not. With his own views on life in general combined with the tricky role of keeping a company alive that’s half his baby/family, half inherited, and which almost died when some folks didn’t manage to keep it properly fed a few years ago.

Apple must not lose its value or it will be eaten by some competitor, so they need to at least play by their rules when it comes to reaching the needed numbers, staying ahead patent-wise to be able survive in upcoming technology wars and still try to keep us happy by actually fulfilling Google’s old motto or being even better than that.

Tricky part for him. I guess that was easier for Jobs as his “clever, creative and ahead” thing was enough back then, and now has turned into a need to be a humanitarian on one hand and successfully lead that company through brute business attacks from all sides. Not sure if that humanitarian image can actually work out in the end as “largest corporation” somehow seems to contradict this on an emotional level.

Selling the “just ruler” image in a democracy is plain hard. You could try the “humble servant” in addition to that, but it won’t work very well either if it’s about millions and billions of dollars. So you’re getting close to doing politics and will get judged for “having your own/hidden agenda” and basically only doing lobbying.

So back to being clever and be happy about it? At least that chinese work force might like you for that, more than we would want them to :)

Its hard to be everything to everyone and at the same time keep the family fed. At the moment it seems that all companies try to sell you that “useful and intelligent” image and at the same time excel at hiding the dirty parts from their buyers by employing some kind of plausible deniability approach.

That said, talking loud about all those perfect goals might trigger more disappointed in the end and make you more vunerable than just being a successful company. But that’s not enough, right?

Anyway, Tim’s problems should not hold back Craig from doing HIS job...

21. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

No student will remember what Tim said anyway, they just want to get to after party.

22. otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

He'll probably just ask them to buy more iPhone XR's so he can clear his inventory before boring them with platitudes and vacuous pontificating.

Steve Jobs upended industries and made an impact in the world. Tim Cook is a bland wall street CEO that likes to play twitter social justice warrior and made an impact on shareholder value. What "inspiring" thing would this man have to say? Steve Jobs, I would pay good money to hear him speak again :(

23. JeepGC macrumors regular

24. mikethemartian macrumors 6502

It’s pretty obvious he isn’t a software or hardware engineer.

25. raskar macrumors member

raskar

Dear Graduates
    "Bla bla bla bla bla."
    Thank you.
    Tim cook