Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook will speak at the EU Computers, Privacy, and Data Protection (CPDP) conference later this week (via Macerkopf).

1400x-1.jpg

CPDP is a Brussels-based non-profit platform founded in 2007 by a group of European universities. The conference offers an insight into legal, regulatory, academic, and technological development in privacy and data protection, and seeks to discuss emerging issues and trends. This year, the conference has moved online and is being sponsored by Apple.

Cook's speech is reportedly set to focus on "enforcement of rights in a changing world," as part of the topic "a way to strengthen user selection and strengthen user trust in advertising." Apple's Senior Director for Privacy, Jane Horvath, is also due to speak.

Other guests include New Zealand Privacy Commissioner John Edwards, Vice President of the European Parliament Marcel Kolaja, Policy Director of Privacy International Lucy Purdon, and Mozilla's Chief Security Officer, Marshall Erwin.

The conference takes place on Thursday, January 28. Cook's speech will be streamed live on the CPDP Conferences YouTube channel and is due to start at 5:15 p.m. CET (11:15 a.m. ET and 8:15 a.m. PT).

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook to Speak at EU Data Protection Conference This Thursday

Last edited:

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Also discuss Right to Repair while you're at it.

Go ahead and repair - just don't be surprised if your devices won't work the same way.

Supporting old hardware makes no sense practically. You are free to hack or repair what you purchased. Maybe the problem is that you want companies to continue working on antiques?

You are free to repair or modify your devices. You might need to make your own cellular network though and spend a lot of money - but it's all technically possible. Go for it I guess? Or realize that it just isn't practical or efficient to do such things.

Last edited:

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
“Apple CEO Tim Cook to Speak at EU Data Protection Conference This Thusday”
Is Thusday the day between Tuesday and Thursday? Would that make it Wednesday??

sorry, I know it’s just a typo by couldn’t resist ?
I don’t understand this comment.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Apple being part of Big Tech that is speaking for consumer privacy rights and against the businesses models of FB and Google, make the others look really bad and have no arguement. Apple is doing much more than you guys think by taking this stance publicly.

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
Apple being part of Big Tech that is speaking for consumer privacy rights and against the businesses models of FB and Google, make the others look really bad and have no arguement. Apple is doing much more than you guys think by taking this stance publicly.
Bunch of nonsense.
Apple is a lazy wannabe privacy fighter.

why is iCloud drive and backup not yet end to end encrypted??

why do they keep phone logs on their servers?

Reactions: smorrissey

Coconut Bean

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Go ahead and repair - just don't be surprised if your devices won't work the same way.

Supporting old hardware makes no sense practically. You are free to hack or repair what you purchased. Maybe the problem is that you want companies to continue working on antiques?

You are free to repair or modify your devices. You might need to make your own cellular network though and spend a lot of money - but it's all technically possible. Go for it I guess? Or realize that it just isn't practical or efficient to do such things.
I see someone doesn't know at all what right to repair is fighting for...

Reactions: sdz

UrbanJoe1

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2020
maybe. Apple preaches privacy and we pretend to believe it.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016

Right to Repair means a customer should be able to buy genuine parts from Apple that can be used to replace any part of the device. Apple should post all service manuals they provide to Apple service centres for customers, at least ones who are technical, to complete the repair.

Reactions: sdz and BuddyTronic

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Right to Repair means a customer should be able to buy genuine parts from Apple that can be used to replace any part of the device. Apple should post all service manuals they provide to Apple service centres for customers, at least ones who are technical, to complete the repair.
Oh yah, just like I can’t do for my 1968 VW.

OK - well I hope you get what you want I suppose, but really, it’s not friendly to the environment to keep old machines running. It’s better to recycle and buy new. It’s a financial burden to support antiques.

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
Oh yah, just like I can’t do for my 1968 VW.

OK - well I hope you get what you want I suppose, but really, it’s not friendly to the environment to keep old machines running. It’s better to recycle and buy new. It’s a financial burden to support antiques.
Your 1968 VW will run with "fake" - parts

Apple devices might not boot up. Difference!

Your environment statement is just ridiculous. You couldn't be farther from the truth.

Last edited:

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Your 1968 VW will run with "fake" - parts

Apple devices might not boot up. Difference!

Your environment statement is just ridiculous. You couldn't be farther from the truth.

Just buy another broken unit and pull the parts that you need. Please don’t expect my poor Apple company to have to keep track of old parts - Just doing that wastes man hours and transport resources and takes up space. For what? - A few cheapskates who want to keep an old iPhone 5 running? What am I missing here really. You can spend a couple hundred dollars fixing a $50 phone if you wish. But do not force Apple to accommodate this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.