Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook will join Salesforce co-CEO Marc Benioff for a fireside chat at the Dreamforce 2019 conference on Tuesday at approximately 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time at the Yerba Buena Theater. A live stream will be available.

tim-cook-loveloud-800x533.jpg

Apple and Salesforce formed a strategic partnership in 2018. Salesforce has since redesigned its customer relationship management app with support for the latest features on iPhone and iPad, including Siri Shortcuts and Face ID. The new Salesforce app is available in the App Store.

Salesforce has also announced a Trailhead GO learning app with more than 700 modules covering business and tech skills. Trailhead GO is available on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. Additional features, including support for Dark Mode and Sign in with Apple, are expected to be available later this year.

salesforce-trailhead-go-800x831.jpg

Last, the two companies have announced a new Salesforce mobile SDK, optimized for Swift and iOS 13. The new SDK, coming later this year, will help developers to build and deploy native Salesforce apps for iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook to Speak at Salesforce Conference Tomorrow

jjhny

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Isn't salesforce an app that make it so that it is easy to control salespeople, and also easy to fire them, so that they are nothing more than widgets? I've heard friends say they despise the salesforce app as it completely dehumanizes you in a company.

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
I would like Apple and Salesforce to work together on a server side Swift offering through something like Heroku. Maybe dedicated Vapor, Perfect, and/or Kitura hosting? Salesforce owns Heroku so something like this would be easy for them to set up.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Isn't salesforce an app that make it so that it is easy to control salespeople, and also easy to fire them, so that they are nothing more than widgets? I've heard friends say they despise the salesforce app as it completely dehumanizes you in a company.
Salesforce is CRM, or customer relationship management, software nothing more.
While I do not care for Salesforce due to their price gouging tactics, their software hardly dehumanizes anyone.

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
Isn't salesforce an app that make it so that it is easy to control salespeople, and also easy to fire them, so that they are nothing more than widgets?

I was IT Director for a small non-profit that used Salesforce for that purpose. The goal of implementation was to collect all employee communications / actions in order to provide the CEO with dashboards showing perceived productivity which in turn led to harassment and/or firings.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD

I would think that depends a lot on how a company chooses to use the data they can get out of Salesforce?
It generates a LOT of graphs and statistics for management, which would let them behave that way, if that's their company's method of operations. But same could be said for other CRM packages out there like Microsoft Dynamics CRM.

The biggest gripe I constantly hear about Salesforce is how costly the licensing is, and how many aspects of the software are still "clunky" despite paying so much for it. I understand Tesla is trying to dump it, for that reason. And I know even smaller businesses like the one I work for are trying to move away from it, because we only have selected people with access to use it, and only limited functionality for them due to the cost of enabling various features, and STILL, it's the single most costly annual licensing renewal in the company.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Not directly related to Salesforce or Apple, but if you want to see a good depiction of the "zero hours" employment economy, go see the film 'Sorry We Missed You' by Ken Loach.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Salesforce is CRM, or customer relationship management, software nothing more.
While I do not care for Salesforce due to their price gouging tactics, their software hardly dehumanizes anyone.
Yeah we use Sugar CRM. It's a shame the open source version was discontinued after years of helping them debug and refine their product. But it still works for now.

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
Ya know what the Eagles had to say about lawyers. These days I think salespeople are getting close to qualifying, as well. Basically, they are incented to "do whatever it takes" to make a sale. In their case, I personally see management as the root cause, as several posts above assert as well.

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Tim shows up to these things from time to time. When I was at Cisco, he keynoted our global sales meeting with Chuck Robbins. I can't tell you what I got out of it, or even remember what he said, but he was there on stage.

Pearple

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2017
Motorola came up with a small smart phone, the new Razr, and no word of it here on MacRumors. Apple has failed to come up with a new small phone and now has to face consequences when all of its customers, who don't want to follow this phablet madness, will move over to Motorola.

Tim Cook is a failure as CEO. He is only good for counting beans as COO.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Motorola came up with a small smart phone, the new Razr, and no word of it here on MacRumors. Apple has failed to come up with a new small phone and now has to face consequences when all of its customers, who don't want to follow this phablet madness, will move over to Motorola.

The Razr is not going to be a big draw to iPhone users. Those who like the SE like 4.0” displays, the Razr is 6.2” and very narrow. Too thick when folded, and of course the real dealbreaker, runs Android. Moto will sell few imo.

PS re: Cook, the only ones whose opinion matters—Apple’s board of directors—disagrees with your assessment. They think he’s doing a phenomenal job as CEO ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA

(sigh) Here we go...

jscooper22

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
Syracuse, NY
I finally checked salesforce's pricing and wow. I can maybe understand the investment if you're a bigger outfit, but SMBs can do just as well with something smaller/simpler or their own FileMaker solution or something. Plus you'll actually get to keep your data which is, you know, YOUR data.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
...I understand Tesla is trying to dump it, for that reason. And I know even smaller businesses like the one I work for are trying to move away from it, because we only have selected people with access to use it, and only limited functionality for them due to the cost of enabling various features, and STILL, it's the single most costly annual licensing renewal in the company.
What are the options? Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, anything else? What are the up-and-coming platforms?

Apple.Fanatic

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
I will be there, tomorrow. First time at Dreamforce...looking forward to it. While in SFO, I'd like to check out the Apple Park Visitor Center also. Anyone that's visited, is it worth it? It's about 35 min away from my hotel.

Apple.Fanatic

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
What are the options? Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, anything else? What are the up-and-coming platforms?

There many other options out there for CRMs (Zendesk, Hubspot, Zoho etc.) but Salesforce is King imo. I work in CRM development and Dynamics is hot garbage. We sunset Dynamics (the company I work for a big MS shop) last year and been using Salesforce. Night and day difference....Salesforce is 10x better than Dynamics. It does depend though on what you're trying to achieve. Salesforce better meets our needs but other companies could get by with alternatives for much less money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.