Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tinman7162

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
Black Attire

Steve would have never worn such attire. He would have refused anything less than black. He would also never have allowed himself to be photographed visiting a manufacturer. Seeing him photographed at a manufacturing site would have killed the magical wonder the products have. Without photographic proof the products are thought to magically appear on the shelves around the world. Photographs kill the magic.

holmstockd

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
nothing like seeing a US CEO in a foreign county

makes you proud that apple with ALL that CASH hoarding not pressing congress to make laws favorable to bring in more jobs into this county then a country we will potentially have a cold war as is we have a trade war.

I know before you pounce and say that a corporation has a duty to the shareholders blah blah blah, lets consider if this country does not have many good jobs then we can not sustain buying those apple products.

And a company should and foremost support its native land. I have no issues with Nissan making cars in japan and selling here to support Japan, then Nissan has that obligation, but Apple with all that money you are hoarding, really? a drop in the bucket for the texas operation?

Please.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
<looks at photo>

What's Bill Gates doing at Foxconn?

Duh, he's inspecting the new Windows 8 Phone production line, of course!

I guess the Foxconn execs figured they'd kill two birds with one stone and stuck him on the same tour with Tim.

(If you look closely you can also just make out Steve Ballmer in the background)

Last edited:

gregburbidge

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
They should turn on a couple phones and take pictures of him.

He should also put the screen on a couple phones and sign the back, make some collectors items.

Jaredly

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
makes you proud that apple with ALL that CASH hoarding not pressing congress to make laws favorable to bring in more jobs into this county then a country we will potentially have a cold war as is we have a trade war.

I know before you pounce and say that a corporation has a duty to the shareholders blah blah blah, lets consider if this country does not have many good jobs then we can not sustain buying those apple products.

And a company should and foremost support its native land. I have no issues with Nissan making cars in japan and selling here to support Japan, then Nissan has that obligation, but Apple with all that money you are hoarding, really? a drop in the bucket for the texas operation?

Please.

As much as I would love to have products made in america, it just is not logistically possible anymore. It would cost an insane amount of money to produce the products if they were made in the USA. IF another forum I think somebody estimated that it would cost apple about $1,000 to make each ipad. (This of course is not exact but and around 7.50 per hour and the fact that it takes about 50 man hours to create each ipad plus parts and shipping and store employees.) If the factory jobs came back to america and nobody was able to afford these new prices apple would fail, and factories, retail stores, and corporate offices would all close, causing even more jobs to be lost.

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Hm! I would have expected yellow to correspond to the sun, for the same reasons listed, since nearly every last culture throughout human history has placed the sun at its center (even anthropomorphized) as the eternal giver and maintainer of life. Very interesting.

In traditional Chinese ideology, the sun is actually one of the mythical birds (phoenix?). There were nine of them but the rest eight eventually got shot down by a man called Kua Fu. Chinese think the sky is the center of the universe and recognize its emperor as the son of the sky. And since dragons are sacred living-beings in the sky, Chinese call themselves children of the dragons (Dovahkiin!:D)

Rothgarr

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
Im willing to bet the yellow denotes him as being a person of importance. So when the employees see the amount of yellow they understand the significance of the person. Look at the other behind that just have a yellow hat and/or collar.

just my thoughts
Chris

That's not a yellow collar. The guys is wearing a full yellow coat but there's someone else standing in front of him. As a result it kinda looks like a yellow collar.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
From Wikipedia:

Yellow, corresponding with earth, is considered the most beautiful color. The Chinese saying, Yellow generates Yin and Yang, implies that yellow is the center of everything. Associated with but ranked above brown, yellow signifies neutrality and good luck. Yellow is sometimes paired with red in place of gold.

Yellow was the color of Imperial China and is held as the symbolic color of the five legendary emperors of ancient China. Yellow often decorates royal palaces, altars and temples, and the color was used in the robes and attire of the emperors.

Yellow also represents freedom from worldly cares and is thus esteemed in Buddhism. Monks’ garments are yellow, as are elements of Buddhist temples. Yellow is also used as a mourning color for Chinese Buddhists.

Makes sense, my wife tells me not to wear yellow as it attracts bees. Bees pollinate the plants, and therefore are attracted to the earth, life etc. Maybe I should wear yellow.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

If you had to pay the extra cost for these products being made in the USA, you wouldn't buy them. End of story!

People vote for what they want with their checkbooks. If you're so hell-bent on having this stuff built in the USA, only buy products made here. If you don't buy USA made products, USA companies go out of business.

You may be too young to remember, but back in the 60's, RCA, Zenith, and Motorola were the largest TV manufacturers in the world. People started voting for TV's made outside the USA, and that changed everything. USA consumers decided where they wanted their TVs to be made, not the manufacturers.

----------

whaT that gesture!? he me remind me some german dude.

You really, really need professional help!

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
now that Tim is taking care of chinese workers, let's hope that he'll care about Apple Retail employees too

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
As much as I would love to have products made in america, it just is not logistically possible anymore. It would cost an insane amount of money to produce the products if they were made in the USA. IF another forum I think somebody estimated that it would cost apple about $1,000 to make each ipad. (This of course is not exact but and around 7.50 per hour and the fact that it takes about 50 man hours to create each ipad plus parts and shipping and store employees.) If the factory jobs came back to america and nobody was able to afford these new prices apple would fail, and factories, retail stores, and corporate offices would all close, causing even more jobs to be lost.

i really doubt that. i don't think its the labor costs. The iPad bodies can be machined by highly automated machining centers with little human oversight except for a breakdown. The circuit boards are also assembled by machine. Not much is left except final assembly and I'm sure Apple has designed that to be very fast.

The problem is this iPhone plant mentioned has 120,000 workers. There is no where in the USA you're going to get 120,000 workers to come. just imagine how many thousands of people per day would quit or have to be hired/trained because Americans don't keep those kinds of jobs for long.

so you'd probably end up with 100 different plants around the country, costing Apple billions in real estate and duplicate machinery costs

and then there's health care...imagine the **** storm if apple didnt provide that, and it would be real expensive

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Terry Gou is a big fan of Star Trek. The yellow/gold shirts are the command staff. They kept the red shirts out of sight for the photo op.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Makes sense, my wife tells me not to wear yellow as it attracts bees. Bees pollinate the plants, and therefore are attracted to the earth, life etc. Maybe I should wear yellow.

I highly doubt you'd get to pollinate much if you wore that particular yellow outfit . :D

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Hm! I would have expected yellow to correspond to the sun, for the same reasons listed, since nearly every last culture throughout human history has placed the sun at its center (even anthropomorphized) as the eternal giver and maintainer of life. Very interesting.

Yep, but the North China Plain is a yellowish soil and the second largest river is the Yellow River, named because of its color from the yellowish soil that empties into its waters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.