Apple CEO Tim Cook Will Move His Office to Apple Park

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 22, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook plans to work out of Apple Park, the official name for Apple's second spaceship-shaped campus, according to information obtained by The Chronicle.

Cook will presumably move his office from Apple's Infinite Loop campus to Apple Park when it opens for employees in April of 2017. Apple announced its plans to open Apple Park in April in a press statement released this morning.

[​IMG]

Apple Park will eventually house more than 12,000 employees, who will move to the campus over a period of six months. While Apple Park will open in a little over a month, smaller construction projects and landscaping will continue into the summer.

In addition to the main ring-shaped building, Apple Park includes a visitor's center with a full Apple Store and cafe, a fitness center for employees, auxiliary research buildings, underground parking structures, a cafeteria, and a theater named "Steve Jobs Theater" after late Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

The entire campus is powered by 100 percent renewable energy and features huge swathes of greenery suitable for the California climate, with more than 9,000 native and drought-resistant trees.

First conceived in 2011 by Steve Jobs, Apple Park has been under construction since 2013 and is rumored to have cost Apple upwards of $5 billion.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Will Move His Office to Apple Park

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

3. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Yeah it was kind of expected for the CEO of Apple to move into the company's $5,000,000,000+ campus after years and years of planning.

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

No offense to Juli, but how is this even considered news? o_O

Breaking: man moves into house he purchases

Am I missing something?

5. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

$6B

6. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

They can make the old campus into a museum showcasing what the company used to be.....

I'll leave that open to your own thoughts and imagination.....

7. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

As he should. Although, there is such a huge group of people on here that say pretty much anything Cook does is a reason he should be fired, there are sure to be many who disagree with this move.

8. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

It's news when he sells a bit of stock, goes on a trip, attends an event, or says literally anything at all, so I think this counts! It was expected, sure, but now it's confirmed.

9. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Yep, just him and his iPad.

Meanwhile, the MacPro hasn't been updated in 1162 days, while it's been 860 for the Mac mini.

10. Garsun macrumors regular

Garsun

I wonder if he'll get a corner office… Oh wait:D

11. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

It will be Tim and an iPhone in that office making sweet-sweet lovin' while the jilted Mac Pro serves an uneaten dinner at home.

12. Appleaker macrumors 68020

He already doesn't own a Mac Pro, but the design team do and I'm sure they'll be happy with moving to iPad Pros for CAD work.

13. Garsun macrumors regular

Garsun

I personally think Xcode running on an iPad Pro would be very interesting.

14. BlueParadox macrumors 6502

So what's happening to Steve Job's old office and contents? It's been stated that his office remains untouched and unoccupied since he passed away in 2011.

Is there a plan to shift everything to a room or office at the new Apple Park? Or is it to be packed-up and stored? Just curious...

15. Sandstorm macrumors 6502a

Sandstorm

The neglect of the Mac is truly disgusting. :(

16. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

It'll probably stay right where it is. It's not like they're shutting down the Infinite Loop campus.

17. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

No corner office, however.

Edit: Darn, Garsun beat me.

18. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

It's so cold, so impersonal when you're at the top.

19. BlueParadox macrumors 6502

I see. I thought they were closing down the old place after they moved. Thanks

20. joueboy macrumors 68000

Yeah it's freakin Tim Cook, somehow media obsession over him including macrumors want to report everything about him. SMH!

21. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

He obviously did that years ago.

22. Bart Kela, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

Bart Kela Suspended

Bart Kela

No.

Apple's Silicon Valley employees are spread through many office complexes in the Cupertino/Sunnyvale area. What Apple Park does is allow core engineering to inhabit the same building, namely iPhone hardware engineering, iOS software engineering, Mac hardware engineering, and macOS software engineering. That comprises 85% of Apple's revenues.

Other likely Apple Park groups would be the hardware and software groups for Apple Watch and Apple TV. Despite their low current revenue, these groups are highly connected to the iOS/macOS environment. Others on different rumor sites seem to think similarly.

What will close down will be dozens of satellite campuses strewn all over Cupertino and Sunnyvale. The spaces vacated at 1 Infinite Loop (and other nearby buildings) will be repopulated with people from these auxiliary campuses.

I doubt if Apple will ever leave 1 Infinite Loop. It is very near the buildings where Apple got its start, the Mariani Avenue area.

This is understandably difficult for someone from Melbourne, Australia to understand, but if you grew up in Silicon Valley and watched Apple's growth, it would be pretty obvious.

I'm a bit curious how a tweet from Owen Thomas becomes a fait accompli. He is not a reliable tech blogger and at one time had the reputation of making T-I-H-S up to generate page views for his long dead trash outlet Valleywag (a former property of scumbag Nick Denton's now fallen Gawker Media empire). As far as I can tell, anything Owen Thomas writes is highly dubious, like DigiTimes.

23. Jnesbitt82, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017

Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

So when will Apple Park 2 be released? I'll wait to move into that one so they can work out all the kinks in the first one.​

24. jthompson666 macrumors member

Well, we now know that a complex, circular-shaped object takes c. 6 years to go from Concept to Finish at Apple.....

New Mac Pros in 2019!! :D:D:rolleyes:

25. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Can't neglect our machines anymore, my ass.