Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Stock compensation isn't tax free. If Mr. Cook receives $100 million in vested shares on a given date, his income tax consequences are the same as if he received $100 million in cash compensation on that date.

He only pays Capital Gains on vested shares he sells. If he reinvests those back into any number of different non-taxable types of accounts he will never pay a tax. You discover these things when you can have access to such types of ``accounts.''

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Who are the guys from 3 & 4? Also, have the guys #3-#7 really added so much value to the company and the shareholders? Don't forget ex-IBM CEO, she destroyed the company, it is in massive debt but still received a ridiculous amount of compensation. Considering the performance, Sattya and Pichai from Microsoft and Google should be somewhere at the top.

Reactions: dabotsonline

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
I really hope you're joking, but I get the feeling you're serious about this.

Im not joking. I think you're confusing job loss to an economic crisis.
The economy is at record highs in the midst of a pandemic and 401Ks are doing fantastic.
Pretty soon the "protestors" will lose their $600/month extra money and will have to go back to work.
[automerge]1594438909[/automerge]
1. Just barely made a profit a few quarters over the past 10 years. Mainly in debt up to their eyeballs.
2. Wealthiest company on the planet
3. Bankrupt
[automerge]1594416898[/automerge]

CEOs don't take annual salaries to avoid paying taxes; hence the tax free stock compensation.

Stock compensation is not tax free. In his case its probably taxed at cap gains of 15%.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Im not joking. I think you're confusing job loss to an economic crisis.
The economy is at record highs in the midst of a pandemic and 401Ks are doing fantastic.
Pretty soon the "protestors" will lose their $600/month extra money and will have to go back to work.

Good one. Very funny.

Foggy82

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2017
Spain
885K in perks?! What kind of perks are worth almost $1M a year? Seriously, I have an upcoming comp meeting and want to go in with some suggestions.

I read the financial report a couple of years back, where you find all details. If I recall well, most of that is related to Tim's security service, when he is in CA or travelling.
You can bring to your comp meeting that all employees need a bodyguard when travelling, good luck!

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
maybe if he wasn’t paid so much we wouldn’t pay so much for our items no wonder we pay a premium for Apple products when I guy gets paid $133 million I don’t believe anybody is worth that amount of money As a CEO what a joke
Nope. Apple sells upwards of 250 million devices per year. Cook’s compensation amounts to something around 50¢ per iPhone/iPad/Mac.

Last edited:

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
He only pays Capital Gains on vested shares he sells. If he reinvests those back into any number of different non-taxable types of accounts he will never pay a tax. You discover these things when you can have access to such types of ``accounts.''

Income taxes are owed on the value of the shares when they vest, whether they are sold or not. If the person doesn't sell shares, they generally have to find money elsewhere to pay the income taxes due. Often companies withhold a portion of vesting shares to meet tax withholding requirements. Im Mr. Cook's case, typically a little over 50% of vesting shares are withheld and Apple submits an amount equal to their value to taxing authorities.

If the shares are held past when they vest, then increases in value are taxed as capital gains when those gains are realized. It's the same as if the person was paid in cash, took out (or had taken out) enough for tax withholding, and then used what was left to buy shares.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Its no one's business, a quick lookup says he is worth $650M. I guess its worth it to climb the corporate ladder than follow your entrepreneurship dreams to riches.

And why is a dog food company making as much as world wide computer conglomerate?

Quite underpaid considering he added 1 trillion to Apple's valuation since Steve stepped down

Or it was Jobs ideas continued to paid its investments...the iphone, the ipad, the ios, the OS X, iTunes, Apple Stores...
I will give him credit for sustaining it and not running it to the ground.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Rich people are looking at their own bank account working on figuring out how to make money and save pennies. Poor people are looking at other people's bank accounts and how to spend money. Basically rich people live like they’re poor and poor people live like they're rich

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
...Or it was Jobs ideas continued to paid its investments...the iphone, the ipad, the ios, the OS X, iTunes, Apple Stores...
I will give him credit for sustaining it and not running it to the ground.
Apple Watch, Apple news, AirPods, etc. If cook sustained Apple it would be at the same valuation as today, but it’s not. So Cook actually grew Apple through, new products, new services, innovative ideas, marketing.

Yammabot

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Northern NJ
Nope. Apple sells upwards of 250 million devices per year. Cook’s compensation amounts to something around 50¢ per iPhone/iPad/Mac.
Breaking it down to the ridiculous is a simpleton sales tactic not a basis for determining the value of a CEO’s compensation. No man is worth that money and if it was put back into the company maybe we’d have 5G iPads etc. Maybe Apple could innovate again instead of being stagnant in a pool of past products with incremental updates and bugs o plenty!

ntlman

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2005
It's pretty sad to see the cult of Tesla try and infect Mac forums. Ignore the NHTSA investigation and class action lawsuit over SUA, an admitted defective battery going back half a decade that can cause massive fires, cratering European sales, the worst JD Power customer satisfaction scores of any car manufacturer, eternal promises of FSD "coming in a year" going back 5 years, hawking literally fake solar cells, his COVID-19 denialism, letting convicted felon Jeffrey Epstein visit the DoD-funded SpaceX facility after having dinner at his NY rape castle and... sure, just like Steve Jobs.

What isn't getting reported is that he will be in Delaware Chancery Court in 2 weeks to defend himself against the shareholder lawsuit alleging he hoodwinked Tesla shareholders into buying SolarCity, when he knew it was going bust. He is gonna lose big in that one (the rest of the Tesla board settled claims months ago). The whole scheme was a trick to bail him and his cousins out AND get awarded a bunch of Tesla stock as payment in the transaction, cementing his control over Tesla. So his actual majority stake will be proven to have been achieved via defrauding shareholders.

His Solarcity/Tesla/SpaceX ponzi scheme will be revealed because one of the other issues is the payment of a billion dollar loan SpaceX made to SolarCity (when banks stopped loaning them money cos they were failing). Tesla became responsible for $2.1b acquisition cost AND the $2.3b loan when they acquired SC, which wiped out Tesla's FCF. Musk posted on Twitter at the time that if something came out, he would repay the entire cost.

Oh, and Musk has already pledged stock options as collateral for personal loans. Whoever posted he is not selling stock or is prevented from doing so for a considerable time was mistaken. In fact, if he is held liable in Chancery Court, those sales will likely be triggered by his inability to pay the judgement and continue making interest payments back to his creditors.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Breaking it down to the ridiculous is a simpleton sales tactic not a basis for determining the value of a CEO’s compensation.
The breakdown is after the fact not before the fact, but nonetheless some interesting insight is provided.
No man is worth that money and if it was put back into the company maybe we’d have 5G iPads etc. Maybe Apple could innovate again instead of being stagnant in a pool of past products with incremental updates and bugs o plenty!
“No man being worth that money”, that is the way it is in corporate America. Increase the value of your company to $1T and you may get a multi year compensation package worth worth hundreds of mullions of dollars.

As far as “apple innovating again”, innovation is a sliding, personal metric that it seems most people don’t understand.

Based on Tim’s compensation package, it does indeed seem like Apple is surely innovating.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
Not even Tim is worth that much. I'm sure Apple can spare 10 to 20,000,000 of that, to give it to social programs and hungry kids.

johnnytravels

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2019
As far as “apple innovating again”, innovation is a sliding, personal metric that it seems most people don’t understand.

‘The Wheel’, ‘The Constitution’ and ‘The Flu Shot’ are not a “sliding, personal metric” and neither is ‘everyone has a computer in their pocket’.
And if there's nothing to innovate, ‘stablity’ and ‘reliability’ are always things that will be noticed, and can be improved apart from anyone's individual genius.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I've been told a friend who is really really rich (by anyone's standards) that money won't make you happy. It didn't make him happy.
This is unquestionably true. But it still beats being poor.

And I don’t mean that in a snarky way. The poor have to worry about a host of issues that the rich do not. They can both be unhappy for reasons unrelated to money.
Breaking it down to the ridiculous is a simpleton sales tactic not a basis for determining the value of a CEO’s compensation. No man is worth that money and if it was put back into the company maybe we’d have 5G iPads etc. Maybe Apple could innovate again instead of being stagnant in a pool of past products with incremental updates and bugs o plenty!
For a company of apple’s size, the salary paid to the ceo has absolutely zero effect on other operational decisions. They have hundreds of billions in the bank.

Last edited:
Reactions: TiggrToo

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
‘The Wheel’, ‘The Constitution’ and ‘The Flu Shot’ are not a “sliding, personal metric” and neither is ‘everyone has a computer in their pocket’.
And if there's nothing to innovate, ‘stablity’ and ‘reliability’ are always things that will be noticed, and can be improved apart from anyone's individual genius.
Smart hdr in video, use of multiple cameras during picture taken are fine examples of innovation. Ekg in Apple Watch is a fine example of innovation. What really constitutes innovation... people sometimes can’t see their hands in front of their face.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Not reading the quoted post results in an idiotic and foolish response, doesn’t it? We weren’t discussing the “basis for determining the value of a CEO’s compensation” so gtfo with your straw man ?

OP claimed Cook’s compensation was responsible for Apple’s high prices:

maybe if he wasn’t paid so much we wouldn’t pay so much for our items no wonder we pay a premium for Apple products when I guy gets paid $133 million.
<snip>

Like I said: Nope.

Sure, if Cook received $0 in compensation, a $699 iPhone 11 could sell for $698.50.

BFD ?‍♂️

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Eh, I don't really think anyone "earns" that amount of money. Almost no one could set out to make that type of money and succeed. I'm not convinced Musk himself started any of what he has in order to become rich.

Although he has a continuous track record to 'Succeed' that cannot be denied: PayPal (what he had that merged into PayPal), Tesla, SpaceX, and his solar company, Boring Co., and soon that AI brain chip (like that of of Matt Damon movie).
[automerge]1594496178[/automerge]
I had to give a like solely for the Battle of the Planets reference. Love this show.

;) LOL I loved this as well. I think I was 7 when it debuted, Prior to that was Danguard Ace and Star Blazers when I was 5. I still remember the first season opening songs lyrics ... but that is for another thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.